PDA

View Full Version : Universal Studios in California?

buzznwoodysmom
02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
I know this is the forum for Universal Orlando, but thought I would try here for an answer about Universal Studios in Cali.

It seems I remember reading that Wizarding World of Harry Potter will be added to the park in California as well. Anyone know of any timeline? What exactly is being added there?

I'm really interested in taking a trip to Disneyland instead of WDW next year, but my kids really want to see all the new stuff at Universal. I am trying to gauge if the stuff in Cali will be complete by next summer and exactly what the scale is going to be over there.

Would love to visit Universal Orlando this fall, then not have to worry about it at all next summer, but not sure we'll make it there this year. Thanks for any info.

DizneyFreak2002
02-03-2014, 11:53 AM
I believe they are getting the entire Wizarding World, minus Diagon Alley (will be an Universal Orlando exclusive for a while at least), which included Hogwarts School and the Forbidden Journey attraction... They MAY get some of the extra which were cut out of the Orlando version (for budget reasons, for construction timeline reasons)... One of the rumored additions (and I will call it rumor cause I have not seen it officially announced, but I will try to locate it if they did officially announce this) is a section of Hogwarts Castle which was cut from the original plans in Orlando: The Great Hall dining...

As for opening date, all I find is Spring 2016...

buzznwoodysmom
02-03-2014, 02:28 PM
I believe they are getting the entire Wizarding World, minus Diagon Alley (will be an Universal Orlando exclusive for a while at least), which included Hogwarts School and the Forbidden Journey attraction... They MAY get some of the extra which were cut out of the Orlando version (for budget reasons, for construction timeline reasons)... One of the rumored additions (and I will call it rumor cause I have not seen it officially announced, but I will try to locate it if they did officially announce this) is a section of Hogwarts Castle which was cut from the original plans in Orlando: The Great Hall dining...

As for opening date, all I find is Spring 2016...

Thanks. I figured you would have some info!:thumbsup:

Spring 2016 is going to be too late, probably....maybe. LOL. We are definitely taking this year off from WDW. We are planning some sort of Disney trip summer of 2015, but was thinking of heading to DL instead at that time. I guess we'll have to figure out a way to visit Universal Orlando between now and summer 2015. My kids would want the whole "new" experience. So if California won't have it all, and nothing till 2016, we'd rather head back to Orlando for the Universal experience.

frozman
02-26-2014, 08:38 PM
I was at Universal Studios Hollywood last week. Truth be told, as a theme park I find it to be very disappointing compared to it's Florida cousins. I think it literally only had 5 rides, with one more opening in another month.
That said, the whole point of going to Universal Hollywood is for the Studio Tour, not the theme park. Universal Studios Florida (and Disney's Hollywood Studios) to me are more theme parks designed to look like movie studios (and yes I stole that from a page here on intercot :)), I mean, does anything noteworthy really get produced there? Ever since Nickelodeon Studios closed up shop Universal Studios Florida just seems like simply a theme park with some sound stages that (if they are even being used at all) are used for production of C list projects.
Universal Studios Hollywood is the real deal as far as movie/tv production go. About a Boy was in production while I was there, and I got to see the neighborhoods of several famous movies and tv shows, I also attended a taping of Chelsea Lately while I was there.
So yeah, this park is really about the magic of hollywood and not the rides.