PDA

View Full Version : Wwyd?

BrerGnat
02-02-2014, 10:38 AM
What would you do if someone in your extended family tried to pass off a 3 year old as a two year old at the entrance gates, in your presence?

Would it bother you enough to say something? Would you just let it go? Would you offer to pay for the child?

MNNHFLTX
02-02-2014, 10:51 AM
I would probably say something in private to the person. And yes, it would embarrass me. I'm thinking about the example it sets for the child.

Altair
02-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Oh I would say something to him, for sure. :mad:

AgentC
02-02-2014, 10:56 AM
I would probably say something in private to the person. And yes, it would embarrass me. I'm thinking about the example it sets for the child.

I think I would do the same.

Lindsey310
02-02-2014, 01:36 PM
I would prob just let it go...you know he's not the first nor the last to do that. I would possibly say something to him in private if it was bugging me. :cool:

6 days!!!!!! :cloud9:

Dulcee
02-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Its not my kid and not my place to interject. I'd stay out of it.

BrerGnat
02-02-2014, 06:26 PM
This is really bothering me. It's actually not that extended a family member. It's my own sister. :( Her son is tiny so she actually told me she will probably keep passing him off as 2 for awhile. Thing is, she and her husband have premium Annual Passes and they go ALL the time. They don't want to drop $650 for the kid to have an AP...

We are going in May and they are going to meet us there once or twice. It is going to be really awkward if he doesn't have a pass yet. He turned 3 in December.

My husband said he would pay for his ticket if she tries to sneak him in and I was just wondering how many of you would be bothered enough to say something.

It's so frustrating. She is a Kindergarten teacher too...which makes it so much worse, IMO. :(

mom2morgan
02-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Honestly, it wouldn't bother me that much. I certainly wouldn't "out" her in public and get her in trouble...if I valued her relationship to me at all. People do things in Disney Parks far worse than that, and she won't be able to get away with it much longer. For the record, I know someone who passed a 10 year old off on the dinng plan. I don't know HOW they did it, but the child ate so little I don't think Disney was really out any money. Now, on the other hand, if someone asked me if I thought they "should" do that, I'd be pretty forceful in advising them not to.

AgentC
02-02-2014, 07:40 PM
This is really bothering me. It's actually not that extended a family member. It's my own sister. :( Her son is tiny so she actually told me she will probably keep passing him off as 2 for awhile. Thing is, she and her husband have premium Annual Passes and they go ALL the time. They don't want to drop $650 for the kid to have an AP...

We are going in May and they are going to meet us there once or twice. It is going to be really awkward if he doesn't have a pass yet. He turned 3 in December.

My husband said he would pay for his ticket if she tries to sneak him in and I was just wondering how many of you would be bothered enough to say something.

It's so frustrating. She is a Kindergarten teacher too...which makes it so much worse, IMO. :(

Ugh. That is tough. If you know saying something to your sister won't make a difference can you plan it so one of you is already in before you meet? Sometimes avoidance is worth it to keep family peace.

Terra
02-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Honestly, it wouldn't bother me that much. I certainly wouldn't "out" her in public and get her in trouble...if I valued her relationship to me at all. People do things in Disney Parks far worse than that, and she won't be able to get away with it much longer. For the record, I know someone who passed a 10 year old off on the dinng plan. I don't know HOW they did it, but the child ate so little I don't think Disney was really out any money. Now, on the other hand, if someone asked me if I thought they "should" do that, I'd be pretty forceful in advising them not to.

This. I know it's not "Kosher" but it's not the end of the world to me.

Cinderelley
02-03-2014, 04:46 AM
It would bother me. I would say something to my sister in private about how I was uncomfortable with it, and if she planned on doing it, to not do it around me. I would also ask her what kind of example she thought she was setting for her child by lying.

dnickels
02-03-2014, 08:02 AM
It's stealing, plain and simple. It doesn't matter if Disney wouldn't notice or if people feel like Disney makes up the money in other areas. If any one of us had customers or clients who did the same thing to us we'd rightfully be upset with them for trying to cheat us.

I like the idea of buying the park pass for the child if the parent isn't going to do anything.

1DisneyNut
02-03-2014, 08:32 AM
I would mind my own business. I'm not the WDW park entrance police.

Mickey'sGirl
02-03-2014, 08:38 AM
I would mind my own business. I'm not the WDW park entrance police.
WDW should enforce/check at the gate. I would not get involved. I think it is shameful and wrong, but it is not my place to judge. BUT, if my own kids asked why Auntie X said little Jimmy was 2 and not 3, I would not try to cover up anything for her.

Goofy4TheWorld
02-03-2014, 08:45 AM
We all draw our own lines in life, and we all have rules that are just on the other side of our "line" that we flex on just a little bit, and there is NO way involving yourself in this can possibly come out better than if you just leave it alone. Your sister is an adult who knows good and well what she is doing, and I am certain no motivational speech (or worse a purchase of the ticket by you) would ever do anything more than create tension.

steamboat willy
02-03-2014, 08:52 AM

Ditto... If it Really Bothers You, buy the child's ticket, then your Sis will see it bothers you. This will probably be the last time they will be able to do this!:secret:

Scar
02-03-2014, 09:18 AM
This is really bothering me.

:(

It is going to be really awkward if he doesn't have a pass yet.

It's so frustrating.

:(
Natalie, please stop thinking about this. Forget the whole thing and enjoy your vacation. :thumbsup:

VWL Mom
02-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Tough spot to be in and I don't envy you. Even if I didn't say something, their lack of moral character would go on record with me and I'd have a hard trusting them from that point on.

IloveJack
02-03-2014, 11:15 AM
WDW should enforce/check at the gate. I would not get involved. I think it is shameful and wrong, but it is not my place to judge. BUT, if my own kids asked why Auntie X said little Jimmy was 2 and not 3, I would not try to cover up anything for her.

We went in June after our oldest turned 3 in October. She is tiny, and always has been. She's now 5 and is the size of a tall 3yo. However, to keep from teaching her it's okay to lie sometimes, we bought her a ticket. Not once, not once, did the CMs at the gate ever ask for her ticket. They waved us through, and I spent $200 that was never used. Am I upset? Yes and no. I'm upset that Disney sells tickets by age, not by size, as it took her 5 years and 5 trips to be tall enough to ride anything with a height restriction. I'm not upset that we taught her its never okay to lie. I didn't want to tell her to say "I'm 2" for a week, or to feel badly when she forgot and said, "I'm 3."

Gator
02-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Am I upset? Yes and no. I'm upset that Disney sells tickets by age, not by size, as it took her 5 years and 5 trips to be tall enough to ride anything with a height restriction. I'm not upset that we taught her its never okay to lie. I didn't want to tell her to say "I'm 2" for a week, or to feel badly when she forgot and said, "I'm 3."

I think there's a valid point here. If the kid's not 40 inches, what's the point of paying all that extra money. But I guess there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Wright46
02-03-2014, 12:07 PM

ditto

k10
02-03-2014, 12:53 PM
I know someone that did this. She dropped it on me in the parks mid-conversation, then just kept talking onto another topic. I definitely picked up what this person said and wondered how Disney monitors this. But I didn't question the person I was talking to. I have no kids, so I have no input on the actual doing of this. I can't understand why parents do or don't do things like this as of yet in my life.

The way I see it, this is like you voting Rep & your friend voting Dem. And what do people always say? Don't discuss politics...

Good luck

Hammer
02-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Ugh. That is tough. If you know saying something to your sister won't make a difference can you plan it so one of you is already in before you meet? Sometimes avoidance is worth it to keep family peace.

I agree with Cindy. I can't tell you how many times I've been embarrassed by how some member of my Florida relatives has acted, but to keep peace and my Mom not having to be given grief for what I say (since she lives down there), I stay silent. It's not worth the long term aggravation.

I agree that if your kids say something you could handle it like Jenn suggested.

BrerGnat
02-03-2014, 01:51 PM
My nephew is 36" and rides EVERYTHING he can. He definitely gets a lot of enjoyment out of going. My husband and I just can't even believe she would do what she is doing. I just hope that she gets him a pass before May. They actually celebrated his 3rd birthday at the parks. Just blows my mind. They know what they are doing is wrong but they are doing it because they can get away with it. I just don't think I can let it happen in front of me. My husband actually feels more strongly than I do about this.

BrerGnat
02-03-2014, 01:54 PM
This is at Disneyland by the way, but I didn't think location really mattered in posting this.

MNNHFLTX
02-03-2014, 02:13 PM
My nephew is 36" and rides EVERYTHING he can. He definitely gets a lot of enjoyment out of going. My husband and I just can't even believe she would do what she is doing. I just hope that she gets him a pass before May. They actually celebrated his 3rd birthday at the parks. Just blows my mind. They know what they are doing is wrong but they are doing it because they can get away with it. I just don't think I can let it happen in front of me. My husband actually feels more strongly than I do about this.I totally get this, Natalie. People think "stretching the truth" is harmless, but I don't think they realize how much it bothers other people with them. My father-in-law was a decent-enough guy in most aspects, but he loved getting a "good deal" by stretching the truth or not telling the whole truth. Before my husband and I were married I went with them to a home improvement store where they were picking out a new lawn mower. They asked a store manager for the prices on a couple of them and then took the more expensive one to check out. When the girl rang it up at the true price my in-laws said that "Bill the Manager" had told them that it was this (lower) price. I started to speak up that that price was for the other mower, but they shushed me under their breath and the girl rang up the lawn mower at the less expensive price (about $50 less). Having been raised to be honest about such things, I was mortified. Later my FIL said that if the check out clerk didn't bother to check with the manager about the prices then it was their fault if they let it go at the cheaper price. That's like saying that if the store doesn't catch someone shoplifting that it's their fault and not the shoplifter's! To me, stealing is stealing, and I would not want to be present and a part of it.

So, Natalie, I could totally understand you telling your sister that if she insists on doing this that you should buy your passes separately so that you don't have to be a part of it. I think it's admirable that your husband is offering to pay for it, but considering the price that AP's are I think that might make me a bit resentful (but that's just me). :shrug:

BrerGnat
02-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Beth, he would only pay for a one day ticket, not the AP. ;) They are just going to meet up with us one day while we are there.

MNNHFLTX
02-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Beth, he would only pay for a one day ticket, not the AP. ;) They are just going to meet up with us one day while we are there.Lol! Well, in that case, paying for a single day ticket wouldn't be that bad. ;)

tinkwest
02-03-2014, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't pay for the child's ticket. But I would, prior to the vacation, tell the other family (your sister in this case) that I was uncomfortable being present when they try to pass off the 3yo as a 2yo. If they still insisted that they thought it was ok I'd plan to meet them in the park. Granted this doesn't change anything but at least I would have let my feelings be known. To take it further might cause bad feelings that could take a long time to repair.

tinkwest
02-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Beth - I purchased an artificial Christmas tree in December. When the cashier rang it up it was about 50% less than the sign in the Christmas tree area had advertised. I mentioned it to the cashier and she insisted that the cash register would not ring it up at a reduced price if that were not correct. So, I was happy to get the tree I wanted for a cheaper price but also happy that I had pointed out what I thought was an error. If I had knowingly let it go without comment it would have bothered me.

Arielfan98
02-03-2014, 05:56 PM
It wouldn't bother me. Not my business and a 3 year old isn't much different from a 2 year old...now if it were a really tiny 5 year old being passed off as a 2 year old. Then I'd definitely speak up. Besides Disney has all the money in the world I don't see much of a profit loss on a 3 year old.

Buttercup
02-03-2014, 06:19 PM
It would bother me... so I can see where you're coming from.
But in all honesty, I would just let it go. Blow it off with a "meh, whatever" and move on. Sort-of a "pick your battles" situation. If she gets caught, it's on her shoulders.

If you feel that strongly about it, you could privately tell her you don't agree with what she's doing, but then leave it at that.

Janmac
02-03-2014, 08:06 PM
My first thought about this was who is the person because in my family, some people we just ignore. Not worth the drama to make a point. Especially for one day.

In your case, I'd have to meet inside. Insist on meeting inside. If/when she asks why, I'd have to say because I won't be a party to fraud. I'm not comfortable with your choices. When you choose differently I'll be happy to meet you outside the park and go in together.

The case could be made that when someone else buys the child's ticket, that is merely enabling the parents.

Jan

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-04-2014, 09:08 AM
If it bothers you that much say something, but its not worth a big family dispute. Choose your words carefully.:(

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-04-2014, 10:12 AM
It would bother me too.

I agree with the posters who say to meet them inside the park, then you're not there when they don't use a ticket for their son.

If they ask why, you can mention that you're uncomfortable with them not buying a ticket, but if they don't ask, I wouldn't cause a huge scene about it.

BrerGnat
02-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Good idea to meet inside. What happens when we park hop, though. ;)

tinkwest
02-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Different turnstiles and/or . . .

Natalie, please stop thinking about this. Forget the whole thing and enjoy your vacation. :thumbsup:

#1donaldfan
02-04-2014, 12:05 PM
A lie is a lie and cheating the system is cheating the system. Although you know she's lying, what good will come from you outing her in the public eye? If it bothered me that much I would purchase the pass for the child and the rest is history. There is no reason to stress over something as trivial as this and family is really all we have, the good, the bad and the ugly. :cool:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-04-2014, 12:50 PM
The bottom line is that its their family, their child and their decisions to make. I totally understand your anger/frustration, but in my own situation(s) I've learned long ago I can't police what other family members or friends do. They have their lives and their decisions to make, its not for me to tell them what to do.

In this situation, you can choose to accept it and just move along and enjoy your family day. Or if it bothers you, you have two basic choices, to not go or you can take certain steps to at least satisfy your personal concerns and ethics.

As others have mentioned I think a confrontation at the parks is ill advised and will only lead to anger and potential long-term animosity. In my situation, if I was this upset about a situation like this I would take my brother aside (I have no sisters) and have a one on one conversation with him (and I've had a couple). I can't run his life for him, and I don't think you should try with your sister, but that doesn't mean you can't come right out and say "this is cheating, there is no grey area, and it bothers me, and my family".

Your sister my choose to change or ignore you. I guess what it comes down to is, are you that upset that you can't spend the day with them?

Not knowing your sibling relationship, I would hope that having an honest and open discussion wouldn't hurt your relationship. In my case both my brother and I know that I got my mom's conscience and he got my dad's. As long as I don't bow down to that same level and cheat, all I can tell him is, I'm not going to do it, but go ahead if you want. Its not worth the stress or the potential damage to try impart my beliefs onto his. His beliefs are his, just as your sisters are hers.

Not to try diminish your feelings on this matter, but it doesn't seem to be the right battle to stress out over or to risk losing a sibling relationship over. You can go into the park(s) knowing you did what was right and set a good example for your family. What your sister and her family does, well, frankly that's their business.

I reread this, sounds a little preachy, sorry, but unfortunately I've had some experience with this. And one of the reasons I do have a good relationship with my brother, is the simple fact I let him lead his life and don't try to force my opinions/beliefs on him. Lead by example and hopefully it rubs off at some point.

Good luck.

Bruegge
02-04-2014, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't lie.... But.. As long as I was not embarrassed by the CM checking or questioning the parents I would stay out of it.

Not to change the subject.... I have DD15 and DD10 (just barely)

Going in June.. GF... eating at 4 Signature Restaurants during our stay. "Legally" she should order off the big menu at Citricos, Narcoosees, California Grill and the other Sigs.

I booked her in MDE as 10yo so... Cindy's castle and any other buffet will be at adult price and paid for adult tickets also... as it should be she will be 10 in June.

Should I feel guilty... will I get the "LOOK" from servers or other guests if I ask for a kids menu for the DD10?

Do you think that is cheating??? I hope not...

Let me know what you think.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-04-2014, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't lie.... But.. As long as I was not embarrassed by the CM checking or questioning the parents I would stay out of it.

Not to change the subject.... I have DD15 and DD10 (just barely)

Going in June.. GF... eating at 4 Signature Restaurants during our stay. "Legally" she should order off the big menu at Citricos, Narcoosees, California Grill and the other Sigs.

I booked her in MDE as 10yo so... Cindy's castle and any other buffet will be at adult price and paid for adult tickets also... as it should be she will be 10 in June.

Should I feel guilty... will I get the "LOOK" from servers or other guests if I ask for a kids menu for the DD10?

Do you think that is cheating??? I hope not...

Let me know what you think.

If you are not on the dining plan, I'm not sure that you really have any issues, I could be wrong though. If I'm paying out of pocket, is there anything to keep me from saying, I'm not hungry, I'll just eat of the kids menu? Unless the restaurant specifically states "only those under the age of 10 may order off this menu" then I don't see the problem. The issue arises when you are doing buffets and character meals where there is a defined adult and child price for basically the same meal. But if you are an adult, and want mac n cheese at a sit down menu establishment, then if the restaurant allows it, no issues in my opinion, and certainly not cheating as you are eating what you are paying for, you aren't paying less for more, you're paying less and getting less.

If you are on the DDP then that is a different situation but because your child is 10 and older they would be an adult on the plan.

tjm29
02-05-2014, 12:14 AM
I do not think there is a worry from Disney as all these prices and what they feel that should get is pounded mathematically compounded by a team of analysts. Remember Disney wants to make none so the few that get in without paying will make then money from drinks n souvenir and such. Also it is a positive presence and influence to the patrons how understanding the Disney corpp. is when it comes to there beloved ones.
Personally I think it is genius givinf a free perk as soon as you enter the park. It frees up money so you vcan spend it later. Disney Smart!!

AndrewJackson
02-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Before I speak, I try to remember to ask myself these two questions:

Does something need to be said?
Am I the one who should say it?

In my opinion, you leave it alone, and let the parent deal with it, and the possibly issues it raises during the day. (Like the child telling Mommy, "I'm not two, I am three!" in front of the CM)