PDA

View Full Version : Those were days.......

mickclub1955
01-31-2014, 04:56 PM
And we didn't even know how good we had it. So before anyone goes and starts letting me know, I already know that the cost of living was way different way back then. I was doing some research and came across this information. I just had to share it. I hope you enoy it.

Walt Disney World
7 Adventure Ticket Book
Includes:
WDW transportation
Admission to the Magic Kingdom
7 Adventures in the Magic Kingdom
Adult $4.75 including State Tax
Junior (12 thru 17) $4.25
Child (3 thru 11) $3.75

11 Adventure Ticket Book
includes:
WDW transportation
Admission to the Magic Kingdom
11 Adventures in the Magic Kingdom

Adult $5.75
Junior $5.25
Child $4.75

Guided Tour
A charming Walt Disney World Tour Guide will meet you at the Main Entrance and your adventure will begin when you board a Monorail, Boat, or Tram for the journey to the Magic Kingdom Theme Park. You’ll experience 5 Attractions of the Magic Kingdom as part of your Tour and at the completion have a Coupon left that will enable you to enjoy any Attraction of your choice. Approximately 25 persons per tour; duration about 3 hours. Includes all Walt Disney World Transportation and Admission charges.
Adult (12 and over) $6.50-Including State Tax
Child (3 thru 11) $3.75.

1 Day Unlimited Passport
Adult $11.50
Junior (12-17) $10.50
Child (3-11) $9.50
2-Day Unlimited Passport (Also included admission to Discovery Island)
Adult $20.50
Junior $18.50
Child $16.25
3 Day Magic Kingdom Passport
(Also includes one day’s admission to River Country and World Cruise to Discovery Island)
Adult $31.50
Junior $29.00
Child $23.75

Guided Tour
Approximate 3 hour tour with a guide featuring four major attractions and unlimited use of all Magic Kingdom attractions following the tour.
Adult $14.50 Child (3-11) $11.00

1 Day Magic Kingdom or Epcot
Adult $17.00 Child (3-11) $14.00 (All of the following prices include FL sales tax)

3 Day World Passport
Includes one’s person admission to Epcot Center and Magic Kingdom attractions for three days and unlimited use of the transportation system.
Adult $39.00 Child $31.00

4 Day World Passport
Good for one person’s admission to Epcot Center and Magic Kingdom for four days and unlimited use of the transportation system.
Adult 48.00 Child $38.00

1 Day Magic Kingdom or Epcot Center Ticket
Adult $18.00 Child $15.00

3 Day World Passport
Adult 45.00 Child $37.00

4 Day World Passport
Adult $55.00 Child $45.00

Here is something else I found fascinating for 1985. It includes Dining.
6-night/7-night World Adventure plan
Six/Seven nights’ accomodations at the hotel or villa of your choice (includes baggage handling).
Seven/Eight days’ use of the WDW transportation system.
Seven/Eight days’ use of attractions at Magic Kingdom and Epcot Center.
Seven/Eight days’ breakfast, lunch and dinner at Walt Disney World restaurant, including special breakfast and dinner shows.
Your package begins with dinner on the day you arrive, and includes breakfast and lunch on the day of check out. (All gratuities included)
Contemporary Resort Tower
Total rate per person.
6night / 7night

One Adult $1,272/ $1,473
Two Adults $803 / $929
Three Adults $679 / $786
Four Adults $617 / $714
Junior $335 / $386
Child $191 / $220

Vacation , Treehouse, & Fairway Villas
6night / 7night
One Adult $1,400 / $1,623
Two Adults $867 / $1,004
Three Adults $690 / $798
Four Adults $601 / $695
Junior $335 / $386
Child $191 / $220

buzznwoodysmom
01-31-2014, 05:39 PM
Some of those prices are crazy.

I added up a 7 night "package" with dining based on that 1985 pricing you have. For 2 adults and 2 kids I came up with $2298.

Interesting to compare that price to a trip we took in 2007, 22 years later. We stayed at CSR for 8 nights with dining plan and tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids for around $2200! Of course I am comparing CSR to the Contmeporary, but still.....it's amazing to see a family of 4 could take such a similarly priced trip 22 years later. And this 2007 trip was when appetizers and gratuity were included with your dining plan.

SBETigg
01-31-2014, 06:02 PM
There are more parks and attractions now, more resorts, more to do... but, there were some attractions then that might be missed now.

So hypothetically speaking... supposing you had the power to choose a week in WDW from any time period, what would you choose? To go back, knowing that prices were lower but there were fewer attractions, or to spend more for what we have now? I wonder. I see fun possibilities either way.

DizneyRox
02-01-2014, 07:27 AM
There are more parks and attractions now, more resorts, more to do... but, there were some attractions then that might be missed now.

So hypothetically speaking... supposing you had the power to choose a week in WDW from any time period, what would you choose? To go back, knowing that prices were lower but there were fewer attractions, or to spend more for what we have now? I wonder. I see fun possibilities either way.
I think you'd have a much more magical experience in the past, provided you on get past the fashions.

Much better value back then IMHO.

1DisneyNut
02-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Some of those prices are crazy.

I added up a 7 night "package" with dining based on that 1985 pricing you have. For 2 adults and 2 kids I came up with $2298.

Interesting to compare that price to a trip we took in 2007, 22 years later. We stayed at CSR for 8 nights with dining plan and tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids for around $2200! Of course I am comparing CSR to the Contmeporary, but still.....it's amazing to see a family of 4 could take such a similarly priced trip 22 years later. And this 2007 trip was when appetizers and gratuity were included with your dining plan.

You are comparing a lower priced moderate to top of the line deluxe. Plus back then, Contemporary was the pinnacle.

I have priced similar accommodations and packages over the last 10 years. Every time I have priced them out, the package has came to between $5000 and $8500. I usually checked Contemporary.

For comparison, we stayed at Saratoga Springs in 2007 for a full week and the room alone was over $3000. After dining and tickets we spent around $6500 on that trip.......After that trip was when I started thinking back and realized how much more I was paying for far less.....the value was diminishing rapidly.

I think you'd have a much more magical experience in the past, provided you on get past the fashions.

Much better value back then IMHO.

It was by far a much better value. I am constantly comparing trips to those from the 80s and 90s. The best trips ever were those prior to ADR dining and Fastpass. You just showed up and got in line just like everybody else and then you went and picked where you wanted to eat that day........simple, relaxing, enjoyable vacations.

buzznwoodysmom
02-01-2014, 10:10 AM
You are comparing a lower priced moderate to top of the line deluxe. Plus back then, Contemporary was the pinnacle.

Yes, I know what I am comparing, I even stated it in my post. I still think its pretty amazing that a family of 4 could have a similarly priced Disney vacation 22 years later. I would think 22 years later prices wouldn't even be comparable no matter which resort you were pricing.

1DisneyNut
02-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Yes, I know what I am comparing, I even stated it in my post. I still think its pretty amazing that a family of 4 could have a similarly priced Disney vacation 22 years later. I would think 22 years later prices wouldn't even be comparable no matter which resort you were pricing.

But my point is back then a hotel comparable to CSR went for around $25 per night so you would have spent around $175 for hotel, around $220 for tickets and maybe $200 on dining. It would have cost under $600 to take the vacation you are comparing at $2298. Your price is almost quadruple the price of a comparable vacation back then. I see what you are saying but you could apply the same logic to anything. For example, back in 1985 a Corvette cost around $40,000 well today I can still get a car for under $40,000.....but not a Corvette.

I pulled the file on our vacation from 2007 I referenced earlier. I recalled the pricing wrong (I was thinking of a different trip at a different resort). Our room for that week at Saratoga was actually over $4000 and we spent over $7500. I would bet that 20 years from now I would be able to visit WDW for under $7500 but it will probably be staying at the cheapest place I can find.