PDA

View Full Version : Which Girl Name?

Belle of the Ball 051411
01-30-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm due in 3 weeks and we do not know the sex of the baby. Which girl name do you prefer? Why? We're open to any suggestions as well (classic/traditional names). We do plan to call her by her full name and not a nickname.

1). Madeleine
2.) Emily
3). Catherine or Katherine

If this baby is a boy, we're pretty sure he will be Christopher William.

AZ Disney
01-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Congrats!!!! I have two boys so we never got to use the girl names we picked out. I like when a name can be shortened to something cute as well.

1. Madeleine - loved it and love Maddy too.
2. Jessica - and shortened to Jessie.

My boys are Christopher Joseph aka C.J.
and Jason and somehow shortened to J quite a bit.

Best of Luck!

emerzmom
01-30-2014, 12:18 PM
My vote is for Emily! Congrats on your pregnancy. Please let us know when you have the baby!
:tink:
Julie

vicster
01-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Emily just because I love that name! Although it's not one of the choices I also love Madison

cer
01-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Emily is a lovely name.

I only know of the one way to spell it and that makes it easy on the one who gets the name.

Think of this also, you intend to call your child by her full name, will it bother you when/if other people shorten it? For example, you choose Madeleine and will call her Madeleine....will it drive you crazy to hear people call her Maddie? Just something to think about.

Also, on the boards I understand you are comfortable bringing this up, because you don't know us at all and in the big picture, our opinions really don't matter. BUT BEWARE!!! Many years ago, we were sharing our potential names with a family member once and they actually spoke badly about one of our choices!!!! :confused: (We did not ask for an opinion on the names, this person asked what names we were thinking of.) It was very upsetting to me (I am sure that I was being somewhat over-sensitive considering my condition and all), but from that moment on, we did not let anyone know our babies' names until they were born.

Anyway, just a word of advice, if you tell the names to friends or family, just be ready, because you never know what they might say. :(

Congratulations! Enjoy every minute.

Belle of the Ball 051411
01-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Thanks for your thoughts! Naming a child is sooo hard.

We have not really shared our name choices with friends or family (just internet strangers; which is a good representation of how most people will react to our names). I think the worst thing people could say about our name choices are that they are too boring/safe or too popular. I'm okay with that. We like traditional names and traditional spellings.

While we plan to call our child by his/her full name, I realize he or she may want a shortened nickname later in life. In my circle, I find that people call other people's children by what the parents call them. While I much prefer the formal names we have chosen, I don't have huge issues with their respective nicknames.

I will definitely post a baby announcement when he or she arrives! :)

Melanie
01-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Just a piece of advice - don't call the child by it's middle name. I wish someone had talked us out of it!

I vote for Madeleine. :)

buzznwoodysmom
01-30-2014, 02:10 PM
How exciting!!!!

My vote is for Katherine because it's my middle name. If we had ever had a girl (we have 2 boys) either her first or middle name would have been Katherine.

I also love Claire for a nice traditional name.

justice11
01-30-2014, 02:20 PM
Yes don't name them one thing and call them another. I named my son Lance 43 years ago at the last minute his dad wanted him named after him so we did Michael Lance and called him Lance, as a grown up he is called lance still but all paper work has to be michael. When I named him one of my husbands uncles said, "Lance what kind of a name is that", wow were my feelings hurt. My choice would be Madeline. although my kids have all picked different names for their kids. Congrats on the new baby such a blessing:cloud9:

faline
01-30-2014, 02:47 PM
My vote is for Emily.

BriarRose0708
01-30-2014, 03:51 PM
I like Katherine! I'm also on the no nicknames side.

My full name is Nicolette but no one EVER calls me that. My parents picked out this beautiful name for me but just about 5 minutes after I was born I was to be ever known by my nickname (Nikki). Makes me wonder what the point was. And when people find out what my full name is (and most time they think it's Nicole), their reactions are usually "oh my gosh that's such a beautiful name!" And I usually say "thanks, I agree but I never get to hear it!"

Congrats on the new baby!

SBETigg
01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
They are all beautiful name choices. The one that fits her, if she's a girl, will come to you when you're holding her. I love traditional, classic names and I think you've made good choices. Your boy name is great, too. Best wishes!

VacationDisney
01-30-2014, 04:06 PM
I love the name Madeleine:thumbsup:

Best of luck!

Belle of the Ball 051411
01-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Thanks for name support and well wishes! I will definitely keep everyone updated.

Hammer
01-30-2014, 04:49 PM
I vote for Emily!

Just a piece of advice - don't call the child by it's middle name. I wish someone had talked us out of it!

THIS!

When I was born my Dad wanted to name me after my Mom (Stella). Mom wasn't crazy about the idea, as she did not want to have the big Stella/ little Stella thing happening to me. They compromised and named me Stella Christine and would call me by my middle name. My goodness, does it cause me aggravation to this day, including last night at my doctor's office for the insurance papers. As I had to explain this for the umpteenth time, I sent a "gee, thanks Dad" up to him in heaven. Let's not start with the Streetcar Named Desire references I've had to endure over the years. I absolutely can't stand that play for that reason alone!

Fortunately for my sister, I picked out her name!

tinkwest
01-30-2014, 04:54 PM
My daughter's name is Emily so I obviously lean that direction.

disney obsessed
01-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Picking names is extremely hard. While i love my girls names, they are rarely called by them except by me.
Victoria Elisabeth Claire. Aka Tory
Julie Alexandra Grace. Aka Jules
Caroline Olivia Jane. Aka Carly.

And then there are the people who want to call Tory Vicky and Caroline Carolyn. Both of those make me crazy.

Pick something you love and that might hold some meaning and announce it to the world when the baby comes. Uncle Buck, i would like you to meet Madelaine. (My fav)

sgdisney
01-30-2014, 09:19 PM
My son would have been an Emily if he had been a girl, so that gets my vote too. Best wishes to you!

Basket Mommy
01-30-2014, 11:08 PM
Emily is nice, but it's so very popular.

I like Madeleine, but I am not a nickname person so I would just call her Madeleine.

I prefer Katherine the most of the three. It was my grandmother's middle name, and I wish I had passed it on to one of my girls.

My own middle name is Allyson. I love it, and again, wish I had given it to one of my girls. They promise that they'll use Allyson or Katherine when they become mommies, if they have girls.

I have a Camryn Brooke, an Aiden Josiah, a Quinn Elijah and a Lillian Grayce.

When I named my 1st son, Aiden (or Aidan) was ranked about #100 in popularity. Then "Sex in the City" featured a character named Aidan, and the next year it shot to #1. Camryn has gained popularity with girls, too, but not too bad. Same with Lillian.

TheDuckRocks
01-31-2014, 10:40 AM

Amen! My birth name is Dorothy (after my mother) Kay. I was never called Dorothy from the second I was born. The first time I ever had to use the Dorothy was for a Social Security card (yes, I'm so old we didn't get one until you actually got a job) and my learning permit for a drivers license, both at 15 years old. The only plus is when I now get phone calls and they ask for Dorothy I know it's either something official or someone I don't know.

Oh, BTW I like all of your choices. I'm partial to Katherine as it is my granddaughter's name.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Here's my picks in order (I love the classics)

1. I love Catherine, but not a fan of Cathy. Spelling doesn't really matter.

2. Madeliene-Have a friend who's little girl is named this and we call her Maddy, both are cute.

3. Emily-Too many these days, its really gotten popular. Still a cute name though.

If I'd had a little girl I think I would have liked to name her after my great grandmother Stella.

My grandmother's name is Lillian and I think that is pretty too.

Really like your boy's name

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-31-2014, 04:48 PM
I vote for Emily!

THIS!

When I was born my Dad wanted to name me after my Mom (Stella). Mom wasn't crazy about the idea, as she did not want to have the big Stella/ little Stella thing happening to me. They compromised and named me Stella Christine and would call me by my middle name. My goodness, does it cause me aggravation to this day, including last night at my doctor's office for the insurance papers. As I had to explain this for the umpteenth time, I sent a "gee, thanks Dad" up to him in heaven. Let's not start with the Streetcar Named Desire references I've had to endure over the years. I absolutely can't stand that play for that reason alone!

Fortunately for my sister, I picked out her name!

I just read this, cool that's what I would have named my daughter if I'd had one.

Carol
02-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Madeleine.

I have nothing against the other names expect for the fact that it seems like everyone is naming their daughters Emily or Catherine. :)

My youngest is a Shayne. Although it was spelled differently he was one of 5 in his graduating class. In school his friends always called the Shaynes by their last names.

Best wishes.

Lindsey310
02-02-2014, 01:27 PM
I'm due in 3 weeks and we do not know the sex of the baby. Which girl name do you prefer? Why? We're open to any suggestions as well (classic/traditional names). We do plan to call her by her full name and not a nickname.

1). Madeleine
2.) Emily
3). Catherine or Katherine

If this baby is a boy, we're pretty sure he will be Christopher William.

Congrats on the baby!!!! I like the name Madeleine. :blush: make sure you come back and tell us what the baby is and what you decided on a name.

6 days!!!!! :cloud9:

Cinderelley
02-05-2014, 04:48 AM
I have to hear the first and middle names before I can say whether I like things or not. I just have to be different I guess.

When I was pregnant, our choices were
Kayla Renee
Danielle Christine
Jessica Lynn

Whatever name you pick, you'll love your little bundle of joy. :D :congrats:

Belle of the Ball 051411
02-05-2014, 01:03 PM
I have to hear the first and middle names before I can say whether I like things or not. I just have to be different I guess.

When I was pregnant, our choices were
Kayla Renee
Danielle Christine
Jessica Lynn

Whatever name you pick, you'll love your little bundle of joy. :D :congrats:

Nothing is set in stone but we're thinking:

Emily Catherine
Madeleine Elizabeth (I also like Elisabetta)
Catherine Elizabeth

Arielfan98
02-05-2014, 05:01 PM
I like Madeline or Katherine and for the boy William sounds good. Maybe Henry too as a possible option?

honeybear
02-05-2014, 09:16 PM
All beautiful names. Congratulations!

TheVBs
02-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Congratulations! :cloud9: And, I'd like to vote for Madeleine. :)

disneygoofball
02-11-2014, 07:03 PM
I really like Madeleine Elizabeth, but they are all nice names. As was mentioned earlier, you may just know when you hold your little baby in your arms. My brother and sister-in-law had names all picked out, but changed it completely once they saw their little one. I'm sure whatever you choose will be wonderful. :thumbsup:

Cinderelley
02-17-2014, 05:47 AM
I like Madeline Elizabeth.

cjbreeziesmommom
03-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Katherine = Katie, Kate !!:mickey:

KylesMom
03-21-2014, 11:38 AM
I am partial to Katherine because that was my Grandmother's name :mickey: Right down to the spelling!

PirateLover
04-08-2014, 01:17 PM
I know the OP is probably quite busy with her bundle of joy, but I'm itching to find out what name they went with!

Hope all is well with baby and you check back in soon:thumbsup:

Ian
04-08-2014, 10:17 PM
I think Maddie is a very cute name for a little girl, but I always have a hard time envisioning a grown woman named Maddie or even going by Madeline (a mouthful).

I think I'd choose Emily from that list. It shortens to "Em" which isn't too cutsie and works as an adult name as well.

Plus I happen to have a very good INTERCOT friend by that name :)

Cinderelley
04-09-2014, 02:31 AM
I know the OP is probably quite busy with her bundle of joy, but I'm itching to find out what name they went with!

Hope all is well with baby and you check back in soon:thumbsup:

Lol. That is why I checked this thread again.

Belle of the Ball 051411
04-09-2014, 11:12 AM
It was a boy!!! Christopher William.

This is the first time I've been back on Intercot. So weird you made this post today and I saw it. Great timing!