PDA

View Full Version : Science Project while on cruise

Trev&Ev Mom
01-30-2014, 09:44 AM
My 4th grade son's science project will be due shortly after we return from our cruise. I am trying to think of a fun project for him to research while on the cruise. We will be cruising on the Fantasy for 7 days stopping at Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Castaway Cay. Any suggestions??

Tink1
01-30-2014, 10:32 AM
You can collect different sand at each location. Then show how they differ and why.

Google Sand Science Project for more ideas.

Nanc

1DisneyNut
01-30-2014, 04:43 PM
The differing sand particles is a pretty good idea.

Another angle to look at is the advanced technology of the Mayan Society. You can take a day trip from some of the Mexican ports to see Mayan ruins.

The Mayans were very advanced in the area of astronomy and engineering/architecture. Chichén Itzá was designed so on the spring and fall equinox's the shadow from the temple casts a shadow behind the head of the serpent god forming the serpent body. As the sun sets it appears the serpent is slithering down into the Earth. How cool is it that they were able to calculate, design, engineer and build that at that time and it is still here working to perfection today.

GreenBeetle
01-30-2014, 06:08 PM
We just returned from that Itinerary on The Fantasy a few weeks ago! I hope you have better weather.

I've been sitting here trying to think of a project he could actually research ON the ship since that's is where you'll spend the majority of your time. The Fantasy is so big and full of interesting facts - plus I'm sure the crew members would love to help him out. Now...to narrow down possibilities.

Kenny1113
01-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Good luck!
Sorry I don't have much to offer in science project suggestions.

:offtopic: I just wanted to ask what you guys are doing while in port. I'm trying to get ideas for our upcoming cruise, we stop in Cozumel and grand cayman as well.

DizneyRox
01-30-2014, 07:01 PM
You can collect different sand at each location. Then show how they differ and why.

Google Sand Science Project for more ideas.

Nanc
I think Disney frowns on taking samples home from Castaway Cay. I don't know about the other islands.

:offtopic: I just wanted to ask what you guys are doing while in port. I'm trying to get ideas for our upcoming cruise, we stop in Cozumel and grand cayman as well.
I'm not a fan of Western Caribbean, I'd stay on the ship...

GreenBeetle
01-30-2014, 11:30 PM
My husband took our 16 yo daughter to swim with dolphins in Grand Cayman (in the pouring rain) and she LOVED IT! The turtle far was included. I took a relaxing bus ride to Tiki Beach for some mommy alone time with my camera and adult beverages. And I had pouring rain too.

Our Costa Maya stopped was actually cancelled due to high winds and rain. We moved ahead to Cozumel where unfortunately it was just as bad. Sideways rain! Oh well. On to Castaway Cay!!

Tink1
01-31-2014, 12:34 AM
I think Disney frowns on taking samples home from Castaway Cay. I don't know about the other islands.

Yes, but you can always just shake it out of the bottom of your beach bag LOL

I always seem to track some home!

I was thinking a pill bottle full, not a bucket.

Nanc

Trev&Ev Mom
01-31-2014, 08:09 AM
My husband took our 16 yo daughter to swim with dolphins in Grand Cayman (in the pouring rain) and she LOVED IT! The turtle far was included. I took a relaxing bus ride to Tiki Beach for some mommy alone time with my camera and adult beverages. And I had pouring rain too.

Our Costa Maya stopped was actually cancelled due to high winds and rain. We moved ahead to Cozumel where unfortunately it was just as bad. Sideways rain! Oh well. On to Castaway Cay!!

That is awful!! I hope we don't have that problem. Last cruise the winds and waves were so bad we had to hug the coast of Cuba, which was pretty cool. Did they do anything special for you??

Good luck!
Sorry I don't have much to offer in science project suggestions.

In Grand Cayman we are going to Rum Point for a beach day. At Cozumel, we are trekking to the ruins at Tulum. In Costa Maya, we are doing the motor boat and snorkel excursion. Pretty aggressive but I have two boys 13 and 9 who are pretty active. My husband also gets antsy sitting on a lounge chair. Unlike me...chair and adult beverage I'm good for hours!!

BrerGnat
01-31-2014, 08:46 AM
I recommend your son complete his science project early so you can all just have fun on your cruise.

Mickey'sGirl
01-31-2014, 09:06 AM
I recommend your son complete his science project early so you can all just have fun on your cruise.
This would be my advice too.

Did the teacher assign a topic for the project? My youngest is in Grade 4, and his ISUs are curriculum based, and he is given rubrics which specifically set out the expectations for each level of achievement. There's a good chance a curriculum based topic is not doable onboard a ship.

Kenny1113
03-05-2014, 04:48 PM

I'm not a fan of Western Caribbean, I'd stay on the ship...

Oh no! :( I hope we are not disappointed. I was not a fan of cancun several years ago. I hope Cozumel is not the same.

In Grand Cayman we are going to Rum Point for a beach day. At Cozumel, we are trekking to the ruins at Tulum. In Costa Maya, we are doing the motor boat and snorkel excursion. Pretty aggressive but I have two boys 13 and 9 who are pretty active. My husband also gets antsy sitting on a lounge chair. Unlike me...chair and adult beverage I'm good for hours!!
Thanks. I have two boys as well 12 and 10, active activites will be the way to go for us as well. :)