PDA

View Full Version : Cabins at Fort Wilderness

Zeike
01-29-2014, 05:13 PM
Hi !! we are planning our vacation for Jan.2015 and starting to look at our options. We have stayed at POR the last 2 vacations (2011,2012) but were wondering about the cabins and if it would be a nice experience for the kids (13 and twins 7). What are the pros and cons of this location?. Any info or opinions would be welcome.

Thanks!

faline
01-29-2014, 06:17 PM
I've always been a big fan of the cabins at Fort Wilderness. Way back when, it was one of the few places you could stay on-site that actually had a full kitchen and a separate bedroom area.

We like that the cabins has the kitchen (which includes full sized fridge and dishwasher) as well as range and oven. We didn't use this stuff much but it was nice to have it there. We also liked that there is a separate bedroom. With a family your size, you would probably want the bedroom that includes bunk beds in which case the kids would probably be in the bedroom and you would take the pull down Murphy bed in the living area.

Cons: There isn't a lot of storage space. There is only one bathroom though there is a second sink in the bedroom.

Pros: Some of what I've already mentioned. Additionally, since each unit stands alone, you don't have anyone above, below and beside you - no shared walls. It's a bit like having your own home. You can park your car (if you have one) right outside your door.

Things that didn't bother us but that some consider cons: You typically need to take two forms of transportation to get to any of the parks - an internal bus to a common area and then either a bus or boat to your park destination. There are no restaurants in walking distance. If you want to go to Pioneer Hall (the onsite eatery), you will need to take an internal bus or rent a golf cart to get there. The pools are not all that exciting. You will need to take a bus to the main pool. There is another pool and I'd suggest requesting a location near that pool.

Personally, I would stay here again!

irish1967
01-29-2014, 07:12 PM
We were in a cabin with 5 people a few years ago: Myself, DH, DS (14 at the time), DS (11 at the time) and DG (Grandpa)

DH and I had the Murphy bed in the main room, which was very comfortable.

DG and the two DS shared the bedroom with a double bed (I think) and bunk beds which were also very comfortable.

The pro was the kitchen and in general, the room to move around - while not large, there was a comfortable amount of space.

The con was definitely the one bathroom. Easily dealt with, but still a little bit of coordinating was needed to get everyone showered and ready to go.

We did have a car so we did not rely have to rely on Disney Transportation to get around. Now that the boys are older and on their own a bit more, we would probably not choose to stay there - something with more direct transportation would be better but with the ages of your children, it would be a good bet.

eandrsmom
02-02-2014, 11:06 AM
We are a family of six, and stayed in the cabins a few years ago. We had our own car, and LOVED being able to park right in front of the cabin. It was wonderful to have this option after a long day at the parks. We loved having a full kitchen and not hearing other guests through walls and doors. It was very quiet. Usually, we don't like to use the Disney bus system. We rented a golf cart so that we could get around the campground without using the internal bus. We liked parking the golf cart at the boat dock and taking the boat to MK. I think that a CON would be that there is only one bathroom, which can be a challenge for a large family.

AndrewJackson
02-02-2014, 02:54 PM
We are staying there in late March. There are many pros, as Faline described.

Another con is that the bed in the bedroom is a double and not a queen. It comes with a set of bunk beds as well, and a murphy double bed in the living room.