PDA

View Full Version : Affection section petting zoo

Bruegge
01-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Have you been there in Animal Kingdom?

Is it worth the 5 mile walk and the one way train connection to get there (exaggeration and sarcasm intended)

Thanks

Altair
01-29-2014, 05:24 PM
It's a long way to go to pet a goat.

Terra
01-29-2014, 05:47 PM
We love it!! The kids love brushing the animals. The goats were very playful last time we were there! It was awesome. Plus the inside section is really need with all the animal veterinary things!

Melanie
01-29-2014, 06:15 PM
It's neat to go at least once, just to see what's out there. And the train ride itself is interesting.

retiredfigment
01-29-2014, 06:21 PM
But there is so much more. We love the area inside where there are usually hands on exhibits, small 'creatures' and even had a chance to observe some vets at work.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Is it worth it just for the "petting" section? Probably not?

Is it worth it for the whole place ... we think so. The ride is fun, and there is lots going on, we really enjoy watching the surgeries, the education "talks", meeting a couple of characters and enjoying the air conditioning before heading back for the rest of the park.

mom2morgan
01-29-2014, 07:28 PM
We weren't impressed - the day we went there really weren't any animals available to be petter, or much else going on. It does take a tremendous amount of time- I'd only do it after you've done absolutely everything else you hope to do, or on a second day.

disney obsessed
01-29-2014, 08:06 PM
I miss the attraction where you sat in a dark room with earphones. They would play differant scenes on the earphones and you could only experience what you heard. It was creepy and cool at the same time.

Sylvia
01-29-2014, 11:28 PM
The train ride and the petting area, as well as all of the exhibits on animals and conservation, comprise Rifiki's Planet Watch. It is definitely interesting and worth a visit, if you have the time available.

if Rafiki is on your list of must-meets, he is usually one of the characters available inside in air-conditioning comfort.

denygold
01-29-2014, 11:44 PM
It is very time consuming, there is some walking and you will likely wait for train at both, particularly on a busy day.
The train ride itself is nice, and what made it worthwhile for us were the exhibits inside and the veterinary exhibits, not the petting zoo.

FaithTrustPixieDust
01-30-2014, 10:15 AM
I miss the attraction where you sat in a dark room with earphones. They would play differant scenes on the earphones and you could only experience what you heard. It was creepy and cool at the same time.

That's not there anymore? We loved it!

To the OP, this isn't a "must do" every time for us, but I think it's a "must do" at least once to see what it's about. For all the reasons already mentioned, plus some of the best Hidden Mickey searching in all the parks!

Terra
01-30-2014, 10:27 AM
It's still there! Listen the Rainforest, or something like that. My boys LOVE it and so do I!!!!

disney obsessed
01-31-2014, 12:11 PM
Its still there!!!!????

Maybe it was just in rehab last time I tried to do it. Its been several years and I have not been back because it was not there.

I'm going in two weeks!

Terra
01-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Yes ma'am it's still there!!! :)

I love it!!! Especially on a hot day!:blush:

Gosh, I don't know, but I don't think the walking is bad at all! And if you stop and just enjoy it and even take that native plant guide with you. There is so much to do and see with the kids, to explore. And waiting on the train isn't that bad IMO.

Giggy
02-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Well worth the visit. I love this part of the park, the conservation station is really informative and interesting. I also really like that 'Listen to the Rainforest' booth that has been mentioned.

We also met Jiminy Cricket there in 2010. I think I have read somewhere that he can be a difficult to find character sometimes.

DonaldDuckUSA
02-04-2014, 11:06 AM
We enjoyed it. We made the most of it by talking to cast members about the animals and conservation projects.

Here I was, thinking I was petting a cow and turns out she is near-extinct, brought over from Spain during the conquests, and now a team in Rhode Island is working on conservation efforts. The cow that I was petting has in fact "retired" from the Rhode Island research group and is now living in Walt Disney World. We thought it was interesting than your run of the mill petting zoo.

The rest of the Planet Watch is neat too. We wouldn't do it every trip, but it was nice.

whitney37354
02-04-2014, 04:00 PM
We did it on our last trip. I don't think it's a "must do" but I'm glad we did it at least once.