PDA

View Full Version : When is Spring Break?

BriarRose
01-28-2014, 03:35 PM
It's been a while, in fact last time we went was Oct/Nov 2008!

We are going to be celebrating my husband's 45th birthday in February 2017 and our 25th anniversary in March 2017, one week apart, and have decided to go back! We have only gone in October, November, and December in the past so I have no knowledge of the crowds at that time of the year.

Does anyone know when Spring Break is usually being celebrated? We are thinking of travelling from February 23rd through March 9th, 2017 to cover both occasions.:party2:

minnie04
01-28-2014, 04:04 PM
I know it varies from state to state, but I think you should be ok with the dates you are going. I think most of them start mid-March thru April (Easter) weekend.

joonyer
01-28-2014, 05:52 PM
There is no such thing as a coordinated spring break. Different school systems, even within the same state, have a "spring break" at different times. When you factor in colleges and universities, spring break can be happening anytime from the beginning of March through the end of April. And of course, Florida (and WDW) is a popular destination for many of those folks on holiday. Just be prepared for crowds anytime during the spring. There's really no particular week that you can count on to avoid spring break crowds during that time of year.

faline
01-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Basically, there is a spring break season which runs, roughly, from Presidents' Day Week through Easter week. During that period, different states close their schools for spring break as do different colleges. It's hard to predict crowd levels as you really don't know all the schools which will be closed any given week and how many folks form the closed school areas will decide to travel to Disney World. Easter week also moves from year to year so you have to check the dates for that.

We've had the best luck with crowds in early February before Presidents' week rolls around - don't know if that would still hold true on a return trip since the norms since to have disappeared in the last year or two.

SueQ
01-30-2014, 11:08 AM
We're going this year March 29th to April 5th. I don't mind busy but I'm hoping the lines won't be too bad.

Crow
02-01-2014, 09:28 PM
first wk of March for my one nephew (who im taking to WDW then) my other nephew is the second wk

bxrluv
02-02-2014, 12:07 PM
We went four years ago the last weekend in March and it was as intolerable as I thought it would be. I'd have to check to see when Easter was that year. Going the same time this year and with Easter being almost a month later, I'm hoping that will spread out some of the crowds. We always complain about having Spring Break that week when the weather here if iffy while most of the schools around us go the week before or after Easter. Can you imagine the crowds if everyone had the same Spring Break??:eek2:

eandrsmom
02-02-2014, 12:21 PM
I really think that spring crowds are hit or miss. You have to take all kinds of things into account. We try to go during Mardi Gras week since our kids are out of school that week. (Most of the schools in South Louisiana are off that week.) It falls anywhere from late January until mid March, depending on Easter. We never go if Mardi Gras falls the same week as President's Week. I've heard that it is crazy crowded that week. Also, we try not to go during Daytona. One year, I thought I'd taken everything into account, but the Superbowl was in Tampa that year, so the parks were very crowded. Sometimes you just can't predict the crowds. Even when we've encountered crowds larger than expected, we've always had fun, you're at Disney!