PDA

View Full Version : BOG Questions

Bruegge
01-26-2014, 02:26 PM
I'm a little confused about the massive appeal of BOG. Returning after a 7 year break from Disney in June 2014, obviously I've never been there.

When did it open?

I know it's somewhat new... Is it popular because everyone is tired of Columbia harbor house, Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bills? (speaking about counter service lunch)

Is it because it's another Castle theme like Cinderella's castle Just not as pricy and more room?

I've read a few reviews and while theming is wonderful the food was just average to good.

Do you think the "novelty" will wear off by June (my next trip)?

So, I'd love to hear your thoughts and if I should use/waste a Magic Kingdom FP+ on a lunch???

I've said it before.... You guys are the only reason I try to manage Disney... You all make the planning much easier and make me look like an Allstar to the Family

Scott

faline
01-26-2014, 03:02 PM
It opened at the end of 2012. I think there are several reasons that this restaurant has been popular.

1. It is the first dining establishment inside of the Magic Kingdom to serve beer and wine with dinner.
2. It is themed after the very popular Beauty and the Beast movie - the special effects inside the dining rooms are quite good.
3. It is hard to get into due to the first two reasons which makes securing the reservation that much more special.

I won't include quality of the food in my list of reasons as I am one of those who found the food to be mediocre. Perhaps we just selected the wrong menu items. Others has spoken about how delicious they found the food - just wasn't my experience.

I can also say that this, in my opinion, is not really deluxe dining. The dining rooms are huge especially the grand ballroom seating area and are jam packed with families which also makes it quite loud.

It continues to be very popular so I wouldn't expect the novelty to wear off any time soon.

VWL Mom
01-26-2014, 04:35 PM
So, I'd love to hear your thoughts and if I should use/waste a Magic Kingdom FP+ on a lunch???

Scott

Just wanted to mention, the BOG FP+ is a separate thing, it doesn't come out of your 3 per day.

Maleficent's Dad
01-26-2014, 04:44 PM
I know it's somewhat new... Is it popular because everyone is tired of Columbia harbor house, Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bills? (speaking about counter service lunch)

Is it because it's another Castle theme like Cinderella's castle Just not as pricy and more room?

I've read a few reviews and while theming is wonderful the food was just average to good.

Do you think the "novelty" will wear off by June (my next trip)?

Since it's the only new restaurant to open up in the MK for quite some time, I would venture to guess that it's popularity will linger for a while - including your June trip.

We've had both lunch & dinner there - just for the sake of comparison. We ate dinner there first, and truth be told, we'd never have returned for lunch other than the fact that they have a different menu.

My family has no intention of returning anytime soon. The food and service at dinner were poor. The menu choices for my kids weren't terribly exciting. As for lunch, it was fine (a better experience than dinner). But other than the dining room, we have no real love for the place. For a CS, we'd rather the Columbia Harbor House - get your food and go upstairs and relax a bit.

The place is still slammed every day with crowds, and ADR's are tough to come by. It is worth a try to see the dining room. If you're looking for good food, however, there are much better choices. And if you're looking for good service at dinner, there are far superior choices just about anywhere.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-26-2014, 04:50 PM
It is new, and anything new is going to be a draw. The castle is fairly awesome, and the only way to see inside is to eat there, so with everyone wanting a peek, it is super popular.

We're fans. We had two good experiences on our last trip ... a good dinner and decent lunch. They serve lunch on real plates and cutlery, so that's a bit of a draw, a bit "better" experience than paper everywhere else.

Will be calm down - probably not. Is it "worth" eating at? I think so ... you can get a FP for lunch, so you might as well give it a try.