PDA

View Full Version : DW Birthday Trip To "Our Laughing Place" Jan 11 Day 6

mickclub1955
01-25-2014, 11:16 AM
No parks today, but we do have breakfast at Kona Cafe at 9:45. The half marathon is today so we are told to plan accordingly. We get to the bus stop at 8:30 to head to the MK. It comes around 8:45 and we are on our way. We head the back way to the MK. Traffic is terrible. We leave Pop and head toward the PO resorts and then past Fort Wilderness and when we get to the MK road, it is at a standstill. I feel for those coming to the MK today on their once and a lifetime vacation and driving in. We creep past the Contemporary and finally make it to the MK. We head to the monorail and on the Poly. We make it right on time and get a buzzer. The hostess tell us she could have ditched her car and walked and she wouldn't have been late. We sit down and order our usual. Macadamian Pineapple pancakes for DW and Tonga Toast for me. Kona blend coffee and Lilikoi juice. We wonder what has happened to one of our favorite waitresses (Theresa). She used to serve breakfast at Boatwrights back in the early 2000-2002. She and my dad hit it off and they would banter back and forth. She moved over here to Kona a few years back but we do not see her. After breakfast we walk over to the TTC and catch the van for the Richard Petty Driving Experience. The van driver is nice enough but is not very happy to be living in Central Florida. We check in at the counter and it will be a while. They are doing exotic cars now. DW wants to do the ride along for her Birthday. When the time comes, she is 5th in line and we head out to the track. She has on the jump suit and says that it is really hot. She doesn't know how these drivers wear it during the summer. DW is a trooper and she does her three laps. I am not a good videographer. The car is going really fast. DW says they went over 140mph. We come back in and DW objects but I buy the plaque with her picture on it. I am proud of her.:thumbsup: The van driver then takes us all the way back to the MK bus stops. He was really nice and didn't have to do that. We take the bus back to the Pop and drop off some things then get in the car and head to Kidani Village. We do lunch at Sanaa and it is wonderful. We both get open faced sandwiches. Watching the animals out of the window is a special treat. Our waiter noticed DW birthday button and brought her a little birthday treat. After we look at some more animals, including the baby giraffe, we head over to DTD. Traffic is really bad over here and the only place to park is at the castmember employment office across the street because of all of the construction. They have people directing traffic. This area is going to be a mess for a while. We shop and look for the things we picked out the day we got here. Guess what, nothing is there. Lesson learned. I did end up finding things, but we learned to buy it when we see it. The gingerbread mix that was in the sweet shop was seasonal and was gone. I asked in the Christmas shop and found it there. The lady told me that most seasonal items get moved there after the holidays. We didn't find any dog items whatsoever. If you have a furry friend, you are out of luck at Disney. We were told to write a letter because upper mgt doesn't listen to the castmembers. Evidently, the new owners of the kennel at WDW doesn't allow any pet items to be sold. We are told if more people complain, this will hopefully get changed. After a long day of shopping we head to the car. As soon as we make it back to the Pop it starts raining. We head over to the food court and eat. I get the Roasted Chicken, potatoes and green beans. DW gets fried rice. It has been a long day so we get to the room and get our things ready to leave the next day.

faline
01-25-2014, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure I would have been ready for 140 miles per hour after eating a Kona breakfast! Sounds like your wife is having a wonderful birthday celebration!!

yjgirl32
01-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Great report. Thanks for sharing.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Kona is the bomb for breakfast, thanks for the report