PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Alerts

Bruegge
01-24-2014, 09:40 AM
I use kayak to check air travel tickets. I have set up a daily reminder of the flights I need for our June trip.

I have a specific flight both ways (non-stop from SLC) to maximize Disney time and relaxation.

Since I started getting daily updates on prices that flight has gone up twice In less than a week. Since we are staying at GF for a week I'd love to save a little money on my flights (seems like the only place I can now...).

I read an article somewhere that stated that airlines (Delta in this case) raises ticket prices if they see "High Search volume" .

Seems a little silly that ME getting daily updates on the price of one specific set of flights would cause rates to increase...

Has anyone heard of this???

How do you handle your flight purchases?

I don't want to sound cheap... but I would hate paying $610 for a ticket that was $485 just 3days ago for a Flight that's 5 months away

scott

SBETigg
01-24-2014, 10:08 AM
I fly Southwest most of the time when I can, and it's a good bet to Orlando from here. The fares are usually pretty low comparatively and they let you check two bags with no extra fee.

But the main reason I use Southwest now is that I fly free when I fly with my husband. He uses SW so frequently for business travel that his points have earned me a Companion Pass for two years in a row now. It's a very sweet travel perk. Plus the service has always been very good. We're happy Southwest fliers.

DizneyRox
01-24-2014, 10:29 AM
I have seen car rental places doing this for years. Maybe not based on search hits, but I know I have seen different prices if I clear cookies between searches (ALWAYS lower or the same).

I don't put anything past Delta, I refuse to fly with them due to past experiences. I don't care what the price is, they are not a consideration.

sassafras
01-24-2014, 10:36 AM
99% of the time we fly Southwest due to low prices and free 2 checked bags. Never heard of the high volume thing though. Seems prices go all over the place these days. One day they're low, next day they're up, then they drop! Right now, I'm waiting to make reservations at DW since I'd like to have an idea of what flight prices will be for end of August first. Anyone have any idea when SW will open up booking out that far?

BrerGnat
01-24-2014, 10:49 AM
The sweet spot to book airfare is 6-12 weeks out. Unless you see s sale fare advertised before then. I wouldn't pay any attention to fares at 5 months out.

mickclub1955
01-24-2014, 11:06 AM
I know that this is unrealistic for those making long term plans, but back when I worked in the travel industry, the best time to book was 14 days and then 7 days before travel and you had to have a Saturday night stay.

mozman
01-24-2014, 01:24 PM
You have time to book your flights (being 5 months out). Flight prices will fluctuate up and down. In a week or 2 prices may drop back to that $485 level. Please I find Wed are days when fares are generally cheaper. Good Luck!

Fangorn
01-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Anyone have any idea when SW will open up booking out that far?

"On January 27, 2014, we will open our schedule for sale through August 8, 2014." This is straight from the SW website.

Steve

sassafras
01-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info. Where was it on the SW site? I looked and looked and could not locate it anywhere. Anyway, thanks!

Fangorn
01-24-2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info. Where was it on the SW site? I looked and looked and could not locate it anywhere. Anyway, thanks!

Click on the dropdown box for "Travel Tools" at the top-right of the home page. Then click on "ALL TRAVEL TOOLS" at the very bottom of that list. The current open dates and the date of the next update will be displayed at the top of that page.

Steve

sassafras
01-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!