PDA

View Full Version : December trip with pics

Altair
01-22-2014, 07:24 PM
We went in early December and the weather was great. Highs were in the mid 80's and a few days were record highs.

We drove down and stopped off in St. Augustine to see the Castillo de San Marcos and Fort Mantanzas. Both of these are worth the time to see. Fort Mantanzas is a little harder to find, but is off Hwy A1A. There is an entrance fee to the Castillo, but the fort is free and includes a ferry boat ride to it. They are both National Monuments.

Our first day at a theme park was Universal. Last year we hit both IOA and the studios, this year we just went to the studios. We do like these parks and they are doing a really good job improving them, but we still don't get the same feeling as a Disney Park. The gap may be closing, though.

All other days were at Disney. We had six day Park Hoppers, but really did not need the hopper option since they added hours and shows.

The crowds were not bad. We did not use Fast Pass at all, except for one we got due to a breakdown on Haunted Mansion. It stopped with us under Little Leota at very end, so we got to do the entire ride plus get a Fast Pass too for the short wait to be "rescued".

We used the Fast Pass on the Jingle Jungle Cruise. We both felt the overlay for this ride was a waste and were not impressed.

We did not notice and rude CM's and did see some going out of their way to help.

The new system is making almost impossible to get walk-up seating for table service restaurants. Our only real problem was when we went to Guest Services to make reservations for the Biergarten. When we made the reservation, the CM implied the Candlelight Processional was included. We found out later, it was included, but at an additional charge. The ticket for that was removed at the end of our meal though.

The Holidays Around the World shows are fun to see and are well done.

The new food trucks at DTD did not seem to be very popular.

Speaking of DTD, get there early. One remaining parking lot is at the far end of the West Side. By the time we left, traffic coming in was a nightmare. Nobody seemed to know where to go.

One note on the tap water at WDW. We come from a place where the tap water is rated very high in taste tests and do not find the water in the parks bad. We don't stay on-site, so the resorts may be different. Now the water outside of the parks does taste bad.

Here are the links to my Flickr photos of the Disney part of our trip. Once you get to the site, if you click three times on the first photo you will go to the slide show. It's the easiest way to view them.

Disney set one
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/97695766@N00/sets/72157640053988075/)

Disney set two
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/97695766@N00/sets/72157640055911724/)

Thanks for looking. :mickey:

faline
01-22-2014, 07:30 PM
We were there in December as well. We found the crowds to be quite manageable as well. Thanks for the report - I'll have to come back and go through your pictures when I have more time to focus on them!!

mickclub1955
01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Great pics!!!!

denidale
01-22-2014, 08:01 PM
What beautiful pictures! They look professional :thumbsup:

VWL Mom
01-22-2014, 08:22 PM
Great pictures! Good weather and low crowds sound like my type of vacation. Thanks for sharing.

JenniferS.
01-22-2014, 09:14 PM
Love your pics. You must have a really good camera!! We were there prob. the same time as you. Great for weather and crowds!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-23-2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the report, the pics are great

emerzmom
01-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Glad you had a great trip. The pictures are awesome! You got some really great shots of Fantasmic. I think the water tastes bad in the parks and resorts. (just my opinion)
Thanks for sharing.
:tink:
Julie

MIKESMOM
02-01-2014, 08:20 AM
Beautiful pics! Thanks so much for sharing

BelleCiavo
02-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Outstanding shots. Thanks for sharing them.

vizsla
02-03-2014, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the report and amazing pictures.:thumbsup:

Belle of the Ball 051411
02-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Wow, great pics!

KylesMom
02-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Thanks, Dave - glad you enjoyed the trip . . . and the pics really are wonderful. Never been able to master more than a few good snaps at Fantasmic! :mickey:

Middle of the Map
02-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Loved all the pics. What kind of camera do you have? I've got to get one like it.

Regarding the water - yeah, I agree that Florida water tastes "different" in the hotel rooms. Water in the parks doesn't have that clorox tang to it.

Great report.

Altair
02-10-2014, 02:03 AM
Loved all the pics. What kind of camera do you have? I've got to get one like it.

"A photographer went to a socialite party in New York. As he entered the front door the host said 'I love your pictures, they're wonderful, you must have a fantastic camera.' He said nothing until dinner was finished, then: 'That was a wonderful dinner, you must have a terrific stove.'" - Sam Haskins :wink:

I have a Canon 60D by the way, but was just as happy with my Rebel XSi. :thumbsup:

Middle of the Map
02-12-2014, 10:49 PM
"A photographer went to a socialite party in New York. As he entered the front door the host said 'I love your pictures, they're wonderful, you must have a fantastic camera.' He said nothing until dinner was finished, then: 'That was a wonderful dinner, you must have a terrific stove.'" - Sam Haskins :wink:

I have a Canon 60D by the way, but was just as happy with my Rebel XSi. :thumbsup:

Oh, so the secret to your phantastic photos is YOU. :)

princessgirls
03-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Great trip, Great pics!

Thanks for sharing!
Julie:mickey: