PDA

View Full Version : Survivor BBB

Scar
01-22-2014, 05:20 PM
New 'Survivor' cast includes famous faces, teams

Published January 22, 2014
• TVGuide

"Survivor" hits the beach this February for its 28th season, pitting 18 brand-new castaways against each other in a Brains vs. Beauty vs. Brawn twist. The CBS reality staple returns to the Cagayan province of the Philippines and is the first season without any returning players since 2012's One World.

Although the contestants are split into three distinct groups, each tribe contains a player with a significant sports background. David Samson, current president of the Miami Marlins Major League Baseball team, will compete on the Brains Tribe, while former NBA star Cliff Robinson, who spent the majority of his 18-year career playing for the Portland Trail Blazers, joins the Brawn Tribe. Morgan McLeod, 21, a member of the Beauty Tribe, was selected to the San Francisco 49ers cheerleading squad when she was still in high school.

A professional poker player, horse trainer, nuclear engineer and two police officers are also featured in this year's cast.

"Survivor" premieres with a special two-hour episode on Wednesday, Feb. 26 on CBS.

Check out the full tribe list below.

Brawn Tribe (Aparri)

Cliff Robinson
Hometown: Newark, N.J.

Lindsey Ogle
Hometown: Kokomo, Ind.

Sarah Lacina
Hometown: Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Tony Vlachos
Hometown: Jersey City, N.J.

Trish Hegarty
Hometown: Needham, Mass.

Yung "Woo" Hwang
Hometown: Newport Beach, Calif.

Brains Tribe (Luzon)

David Samson
Hometown: Plantation, Fla.

Garrett Adelstein
Hometown: Santa Monica, Calif.

J'Tia Taylor
Hometown: Chicago, Ill.

Kassandra "Kass" McQuillen
Hometown: Tehachapi, Calif.

Latasha "Tasha" Fox
Hometown: St. Louis, Mo.

Spencer Bledsoe
Hometown: Chicago, Ill.

Beauty Tribe (Solana)

Alexis Maxwell
Hometown: Addison, Ill.

Brice Johnston
Hometown: Philadelphia, Penn.

Jefra Bland
Hometown: Campbellsville, K.Y.

Jeremiah Wood
Hometown: Dobson, N.C.

LJ McKanas
Hometown: Boston, Mass.

Morgan McLeod
Hometown: San Jose, Calif.

SBETigg
01-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I was not impressed by many of them. Especially the Beauty team. I expected some really striking looking people. But they were just meh. I actually think some of the Brains are more attractive. Which comes down to what we were saying when this was announced-- isn't everybody a little of everything? How to decide who goes where? I don't know. I guess they just set me up to expect BEAUTY. Not that they are homely or anything. Just not much of a wow factor. But we'll see how it goes.

Also, it seems like the season just ended. Time again already? It's becoming more of a commitment to keep up.

Ian
01-23-2014, 09:47 AM
This may come off sounding a little naive, but I'm not a huge fan of this concept. It's almost like Survivor's version of "Revenge of the Nerds" or something and yes, as Sheri said, it reinforces the idea that you can't be strong and smart or smart and beautiful. I mean, if you're on the Beauty team does that mean you're stupid? :confused:

This whole idea is a little distasteful to me.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Also, it seems like the season just ended. Time again already? It's becoming more of a commitment to keep up.

Don't worry, you still have some time to decompress, the 2 hour premiere isn't until February 26, still a month away.

TheDuckRocks
01-23-2014, 11:20 AM
We spend so much time teaching our children that each person is to be respected and how you behave towards others determines the person you are.
Now the producers seem to have overlooked the fact that bulling is at an all time high, with tragic outcomes in many cases. They are making us judge these contestants if they are "pretty" or "smart" or "a jock", not by how they play the game.
I am not happy with this division of the teams.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-23-2014, 11:22 AM
I pretty much find the gimmicks that Survivor has been employing to be mostly epic fails. How good or bad a season is, generally is dependent on one thing, the casting, not the gimmick. Blood v Water looked promising at first, but after a few tribals, it really became nothing more than a side note. Knowing Survivor they'll muddle this up and merge the 3 tribes after 3 days or so, making the whole BBB a mute point.

My biggest concern is that they cast people that have no concept in how to play the game. That's what ruined Boston Rob's winning season and several others.

At least there are no returning players and no redemption island, so right there, there is at least a glimmer of hope for this season.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-23-2014, 11:28 AM
We spend so much time teaching our children that each person is to be respected and how you behave towards others determines the person you are.
Now the producers seem to have overlooked the fact that bulling is at an all time high, with tragic outcomes in many cases. They are making us judge these contestants if they are "pretty" or "smart" or "a jock", not by how they play the game.
I am not happy with this division of the teams.

All too true, but still better than S13: Cook Islands when they divided the teams into four ethnic groups; black, white, hispanic and asian.

TheDuckRocks
01-24-2014, 10:33 AM
All too true, but still better than S13: Cook Islands when they divided the teams into four ethnic groups; black, white, hispanic and asian.

Oh, yeah! How could I ever forget that. Truly cringe worthy TV.

Scar
02-26-2014, 10:24 AM
I think this is the first time I've ever been thankful of a commercial. I would have completely missed tonight if I hadn't just heard the promo on radio.

Let's hope the trend of less exciting seasons reverses here, but I doubt it.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-26-2014, 02:25 PM
I think this is the first time I've ever been thankful of a commercial. I would have completely missed tonight if I hadn't just heard the promo on radio.

Let's hope the trend of less exciting seasons reverses here, but I doubt it.

They've been advertising, but it does seem a bit on the lite side. You might still be able to find it, each season TVGuide Network does a Survivor preview show, Jeff shows them around the camp/tribal, gives his takes on the players chances. I haven't watched it yet, probably will wait until the weekend and watch that plus the 2 hour premiere.

I honestly think the all new cast format is now the exception to the rule and going forward it will almost always be some kind of blend with returning players, with the ocassional all new player season thrown in here and there.

SBETigg
02-26-2014, 03:50 PM
It's still too soon for me to get excited about a new season. It feels like the last one just happened. Will I watch? Yeah, I can't imagine skipping it. But I'm just not that eager for it.

SBETigg
02-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Wow, that went downhill fast for the Brains. I can't believe J'Tia is still there. Did they administer IQ tests? Even Probst seemed fed up with them, and that was before the second TC. I never thought I would yearn for some returning players. This season is already a mess!

Melanie
02-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Wow, that went downhill fast for the Brains. I can't believe J'Tia is still there. Did they administer IQ tests? Even Probst seemed fed up with them, and that was before the second TC. I never thought I would yearn for some returning players. This season is already a mess!

Oh, and see I felt exactly the opposite. I actually thought it was a great first episode. I felt like we really got to know a lot of the contestants, and I don't usually feel like that after just one episode. Two blindsides...awesome. Yeah, J'Tia is ridiculous, but I loved Garrett going home. I did not like him! I just hope that Spencer can find his way out of this. I do think he's a good kid.

I about died when that Morgan chick called LJ old. Oh my...he's 34! And I like him, I think. :blush:

Tony...not caring for him. Sarah calling him out was so smart, and hopefully she has the brains to go a long way. She's probably my favorite on the Brawn tribe.

Melanie
02-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Oh, and the other great thing - no Redemption Island!

russ57
02-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Garrett just didn't know to take the hidden immunity idol with him. The way the conversation was going, I would have played it and bye-bye to the horrible puzzle solver...

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-27-2014, 11:36 PM
I don't know, my spidey sense is going off early, this season could go sideways real fast.

For starters, the irony of the Brains tribe being maybe the dumbest tribe to ever play the game. Within 3 minutes David starts playing day 39 on day 1. He names Tash or J'Tai and he's still around, instead he makes a quick power play on Garrett. Then in more irony, Garrett can get over being singled out by David, so saves J'Tai and the end result is he is gone. J'Tai's performance at the 2nd challenge maybe the single worst performance by any Survivor in history, then she dumps all their food and gets rewarded by two women who seemed more upset that they couldn't make moves instead of making the right moves.

Over on the Brawn tribe, looks like the typical alpha male not liking that he's the second favorite alpha male and will play stupid just to get rid of Cliff.

Beauty, that tribe will break down sooner or later, not a lot of cohesion there.

I just get the feeling, a lot of recruited players, which means a lot of stupid game play.

But, at least no redemption island and no returning players, but as I said, I think this season can go sideways real quick.

RunDMV
02-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Color me not impressed. Casting is closer to MTV's Real World than the first edition of Survivor. People are picked for one reason: for the caustic personalities in order to cause mayhem/controversy.

And in the first 10 minutes, the Beauty team is already walking around in their bra and panties?!

Melanie
02-28-2014, 09:01 AM
And in the first 10 minutes, the Beauty team is already walking around in their bra and panties?!

That's nothing new.

TheDuckRocks
02-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Overall, I thought the whole Beauty vs Brawn vs Brains was quite entertaining. What a bunch of nitwits the Brains have turned out to be. The only ones with any social game at all on that tribe are Tash and Spencer. No Redemption Island! HeeHaw!

Ian
03-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Has there ever been a less aptly named tribe than this season's "Brains" tribe? I think not ....

SBETigg
03-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Has there ever been a less aptly named tribe than this season's "Brains" tribe? I think not ....

Agreed. I wonder if they were meant to be sarcastic labels? ;)

Ian
03-08-2014, 10:24 AM
I would have gone with, "Dopes, Silicone, and Meathead" myself ;)

SBETigg
03-08-2014, 12:28 PM
I would have gone with, "Dopes, Silicone, and Meathead" myself ;)

Yeah, this week didn't prove much better. But I think I might like the horsetrainer JT on the Beauty Team. He seems like he might have some sense and ability in this game. I have yet to be intrigued by any of other players.

Melanie
03-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Yeah, this week didn't prove much better. But I think I might like the horsetrainer JT on the Beauty Team. He seems like he might have some sense and ability in this game. I have yet to be intrigued by any of other players.

He's definitely my favorite, and not too hard to look at.

Ian
03-13-2014, 08:05 PM
It's definitely a case of too little/too late, but at least they finally woke up and got rid of J'Tia. She was without doubt the most useless, inept tribe member I've ever seen. The fact that they actually debated whether or not to dump her or Spencer just further reinforces my certainty that they somehow used the wrong hat when picking names for the "Brains" tribe. :confused:

SBETigg
03-14-2014, 01:05 PM

I guess I meant LJ, but thankfully you all knew who I meant. :blush:

LJ and Spencer are my favorites for now. I really felt for Spencer getting stuck with some questionable Brains. And I agree, Ian, J'Tia is the worst at challenges I can recall ever playing Survivor, consistently worst. I can't believe it took them this long to boot her. Spencer seems equally stumped. He might have a chance if they mix tribes up next week.

Oh, and on the Beauty tribe? I cannot believe the chicken-egg discussions there. Wow. Just... wow. Talk about playing to stereotype.

Melanie
03-14-2014, 01:15 PM
J'Tia trying to place that flag on the lift was probably the most epic meltdown I've ever seen on Survivor. Just wow.

KarenP
03-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks goodness they finally got rid of J'Tia. I never understood why they kept her after she spilled out all of the rice. I would have voted her out that night! She did not deserve to even be there.

Ian
03-20-2014, 09:58 AM
I thought last night's episode was pretty good, although I would truly prefer they not tease/give away the merge the way they do. It would be better if it was a true surprise since knowing it's coming essentially eliminates any of the drama.

I really liked the immunity challenge. It was a new twist that I don't remember seeing before and it was a lot of fun to watch. We also got a bit of a shakeup at tribal for a change. I didn't really see that one coming at all!

SBETigg
03-20-2014, 11:42 AM
I thought last night's episode was pretty good, although I would truly prefer they not tease/give away the merge the way they do. It would be better if it was a true surprise since knowing it's coming essentially eliminates any of the drama.

I really liked the immunity challenge. It was a new twist that I don't remember seeing before and it was a lot of fun to watch. We also got a bit of a shakeup at tribal for a change. I didn't really see that one coming at all!

I agree-- I prefer to be surprised and they pretty much gave away the tribe mix in previews. But otherwise, there are some surprises this season. Like last season, this one is less predictable than it was becoming. Shake-ups and twists are good (just don't warn us in advance!).

LJ was looking like he was in a bad spot after merge, but maybe things will work out for him now. Tribal Council went well. Even Jeff seemed happier. :) I like the way the tribes worked out. Interesting possibilities all around.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
03-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Even if they hadn't given it away in previews, with the overall numbers being even (14) and the Brains tribe decimated (and without food), it was a pretty good bet that a tribal shuffle was coming. So it didn't bother me that they didn't pull a surprise twist on it.

I thought the reward challenge idiotic. Maybe on the drawing board it looked good, but no combination was going to get Cliff off that pole and dragged all the way back to the line, and that he could do it twice made it not only predictable but boring. I know Woo for a fact didn't even participate.

I thought the immunity challenge was going to be extremely lame, but the fact that the walls were much more sturdy than they looked and that the maze on the log wasn't quite as obvious that it appeared, actually made it an interesting challenge.

I'm having harder time getting into this season, probably because it seems like I'm always doing two other things while watching it, so I haven't connected to some of these Survivors yet. But, all the fractions that seem to be going on in the various alliances would at least seem to indicate that eliminations, both pre and post merge shouldn't just be predictable.

It was a good job of editing as I thought for certain LJ(?) was going home with an idol in his pocket, but there must have been a lot more discussions than we weren't shown or led to believe.

Melanie
03-20-2014, 01:37 PM
I can't stand Trish. That is all.

SBETigg
03-20-2014, 03:55 PM
I can't stand Trish. That is all.

Agreed! I hated that LJ hooked up with her so fast. She's awful. So far, I like LJ, Spencer, and Woo. Dislike Trish, Morgan, Tony, and Sarah, and I'm indifferent to everyone else.

Melanie
03-20-2014, 04:13 PM
Agreed! I hated that LJ hooked up with her so fast. She's awful. So far, I like LJ, Spencer, and Woo. Dislike Trish, Morgan, Tony, and Sarah, and I'm indifferent to everyone else.

I feel much like you do, Sherri. :thumbsup:

TheDuckRocks
03-21-2014, 08:53 AM
I feel much like you do, Sherri. :thumbsup:

Me too!

Ian
03-26-2014, 11:36 AM
I thought the reward challenge idiotic. Maybe on the drawing board it looked good, but no combination was going to get Cliff off that pole and dragged all the way back to the line, and that he could do it twice made it not only predictable but boring. I know Woo for a fact didn't even That I agree with. It was a foregone conclusion that the team with Cliff on it would win, especially when the final round had two men trying to pull a woman off the other pole.

Melanie
03-27-2014, 05:51 AM
I will never, ever understand folks who quit (and this one was ridiculous), but have I told you guys how much I hate Trish? :D What a nasty, nasty chick she is. Everything about her bugs me. Blech!

Nice blindside last night. I'm loving Spencer, and hope he can hold his own with the merge. Not loving that Sarah will have the power. I think she'll fall right back in with Tony.

TheDuckRocks
03-27-2014, 09:19 AM
I will never, ever understand folks who quit (and this one was ridiculous), but have I told you guys how much I hate Trish? :D What a nasty, nasty chick she is. Everything about her bugs me. Blech!

Nice blindside last night. I'm loving Spencer, and hope he can hold his own with the merge. Not loving that Sarah will have the power. I think she'll fall right back in with Tony.

Trish = :ack:

IF the brains can hold it together, which means listening to Spencer, they should be able to control this mess until the merge. Sarah should be their next target because of the Tony connection.

Ian
03-27-2014, 12:26 PM
I like Spencer, too. I really hope he can maneuver long enough to solidify his position and go deep into the game.

I hate people who quit. So lame.

Melanie
03-27-2014, 12:33 PM
If Sarah does indeed fall right back in with Tony and his crew next week, I'm not liking how that could turn out if Tony's new tribe stays tight. I see Sarah, Tony and Trish going far. :unsure:

SBETigg
03-27-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm with you, Melanie, really dislike Trish. Also don't like Tony. And I'm also nervous about merge affecting the games of the few people I like.

Lindsay quitting was really unfortunate. I was surprised that her team seemed okay with Trish afterwards. I would have been pretty ticked off that her mouth cost a player, but I guess no one wanted to shake things up any further. And Trish does seem like one of those players who could go to the end because she's so unlikable.

Melanie
04-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Wooooooooow! I didn't love that outcome (because I dislike Tony and Trish), but that was quite the entertaining Tribal. I totally thought Jefra was out of there.

Ian
04-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Cass made a huge boneheaded move last night by flipping. She went from a solid group of six to the bottom rung of the ladder.

Now admittedly she's at the bottom rung of the ladder in the alliance with numbers, but instead of giving herself a legitimate shot to win the game she's pretty much relegated herself to 6th at best.

I can't stand her ... she annoys me. :mad:

SBETigg
04-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Cass made a huge boneheaded move last night by flipping. She went from a solid group of six to the bottom rung of the ladder.

Now admittedly she's at the bottom rung of the ladder in the alliance with numbers, but instead of giving herself a legitimate shot to win the game she's pretty much relegated herself to 6th at best.

I was on the fence about Kass, and I loved seeing Sarah go after all that thinking she was boss. But... I agree with you. Now I am not liking Kass. You have to put up with people you don't like if you want to win. Boneheaded move. Now no one can trust her and she might hang on a bit, but not much further I think. I like Spencer and I thought maybe he and Kass could own this game, but she blew it.

RunDMV
04-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Kassel did to herself exactly what she told Sarah was going to do to herself. Namely, vote with the other team, give them the numbers, and then be the first one of them voted off.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
04-09-2014, 10:10 AM

I have to admit I've been a bit disengaged with this season, just got round to watching the last episode. Great tribal, but when I stare at Kass all I see is Cochrane part II.

Making a move simply so you can say "I made a big move" or because you want to become a Survivor character "ChaosKass" just doesn't work. Making a big move and increasing your odds = good strategy, making a move, betraying your alliance and putting yourself on the bottom of the next alliance = losing.

Maybe she has some braniac plan up her sleeve that I can see right now, but from where I'm sitting her ego is making the decisions, not her brain.

I don't really like Trish, but she's probably playing the best game, instrumental in getting Cliff booted and now getting Kass to flip, she's playing the game. I don't know that she can win, but doesn't mean she doesn't deserve it.

It will be interesting to see who finds the new idol. My guess is that the special powers will be those similar to the idol that Yul Kwan held in Exile Island, where you can play the idol after the votes are read, not before like the current idols.

SBETigg
04-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Making a move simply so you can say "I made a big move" or because you want to become a Survivor character "ChaosKass" just doesn't work. Making a big move and increasing your odds = good strategy, making a move, betraying your alliance and putting yourself on the bottom of the next alliance = losing.

Exactly. But I think the producers have created this kind of player when they started bringing players back consistently for new seasons. If you're fading into the background, you're not going to be invited for more TV time. I think we have a new breed of player who isn't necessarily interested in winning, but in making a career out of being a Survivor "character." I didn't peg Kass to be one of those until this past week.

Ian
04-16-2014, 10:12 AM
I don't know that any of this is part of some grand plan by Kass (although it may be). I think she's just letting her emotions get the best of her and going after anyone who makes her mad, regardless of whether or not it's a good strategic move.

She'll probably make it to the top five or six and then get booted the first time an alliance has to turn on its own. I'll celebrate her departure. ;)

SBETigg
04-16-2014, 10:44 AM
I don't know that any of this is part of some grand plan by Kass (although it may be). I think she's just letting her emotions get the best of her and going after anyone who makes her mad, regardless of whether or not it's a good strategic move.

She'll probably make it to the top five or six and then get booted the first time an alliance has to turn on its own. I'll celebrate her departure. ;)

Yeah, I agree with you. Although she did make up a hashtag ready nickname for herself, so... I'm not sure it isn't a little of both. I think she really wanted to make a big move, but probably not a big stupid move. And it was probably more driven by emotion at the moment and not some grand attention-seeking plan. But I do think they all go out there with some awareness that they could strike a note with viewers/producers, too. She knows she's on TV.

Melanie
04-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Yes, this is going how I was afraid it would, and therefore I'm losing interest. Tony is annoying, Trish is annoying, Woo is kinda boring and Jefra is just not very smart. I don't like Kass at all, and still can't believe how she turned her back on Spencer and Tasha. I don't see any way Spencer and Tasha can get out of this (regardless of the previews), so I'm predicting a bad ending, for me anyway.

Oh, something just isn't right about how folks just find these hidden immunity idols at exactly the right time, without any clues. It always happened for Russell, and here we are with Tony. I hate that it's a super duper power one. Ugh.

JanetMegan
04-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Man this show is getting boring? Is it just me? I think it's because I'm almost done with Breaking Bad and everything else seems boring?

Stupid Tony, Stupid Idol.

Melanie
04-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Man this show is getting boring? Is it just me?

Nope, not just you. I said I was losing interest. I'm bummed too, since the season started off well for me.

Scar
04-25-2014, 04:37 PM
The good thing about it is it has been very unpredictable, unlike other seasons. I think the next episode will really be the fork in the road. Either the four with Tony will vote for him, fearing what Spencer said about voting for him in the finale, forcing him to play his idol (and mixing things up for more unpredictability,) or they will stick with him making the rest of the season boring.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
04-27-2014, 12:20 AM
I certainly have had a difficult time staying engaged with the season. The only suspense this last tribal was whether or not Spencer would gamble and play his idol, or play it on Jeremiah.

Maybe if Spencer and Tony weren't getting like 60% or more of the edited air time it would be better.

For some reason, the past three days not a single person (that was shown) bothered to look for the super idol. Suddenly Tony is threatened and magically he finds it. Hard not to feel somewhat skeptical. Same with Spencer, his hour of need, manages to find the idol.

Survivor is still pulling in over 9 million viewers a week, but this season so far has been the 2nd lowest next to Caramoan.

SBETigg
05-03-2014, 04:28 PM
I really dislike Tony and I'm tired of the hidden immunity idol schtick. The extra twist on the immunity idol really bugged me. I think Tony might win this thing. So yes, I'm getting bored like the rest of you. I missed it this week and I haven't even bothered to catch up yet.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-07-2014, 11:06 AM
I really dislike Tony and I'm tired of the hidden immunity idol schtick. The extra twist on the immunity idol really bugged me. I think Tony might win this thing. So yes, I'm getting bored like the rest of you. I missed it this week and I haven't even bothered to catch up yet.

I don't dislike Tony, he's one of the few people that have made this season interesting and he's certainly playing the game. He's a lock for final 4, holding two idols now, one being the TylerPerry super idol, he really can't screw it up. The question is, will he try to leverage the idols to get specific people voted out, or will he just ride them quietly to the final 4.

He's in a unique position, because on one side you have two people that could win Spencer/Tasha and on the other side you have the sidekick Woo and then Trish/Kass, sort of his core alliance. I'm not sure if any of those people would keep him into the final 3. Maybe Woo and Trish? It will be interesting to see how Tony navigates these final 3 tribals.

Ian
05-08-2014, 09:43 PM
I was so disappointed in last night's episode. Kass just further proving that she's potentially the dumbest attorney in the known universe. All that rabble about how she was going to take over the game, make a big move, Tony was the devil, blah blah blah and then at the last minute she folds like a cheap suit.

What a moron ... I cannot stand her and hope they vote her off ASAP.

Go Spencer :D

Melanie
05-09-2014, 03:06 PM
None of the players left are likable for me, except for Spencer. But now I'm not even sure about him after reading he's getting a good edit and was actually kind of a jerk out there. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure.

I see the Trish I loved at the beginning of the season is back next week. Sarcasm! I can't stand her and she's looking horrific. She was too skinny to begin with, so it was someone's very bad call medically to allow her to compete. I have a feeling she'll have/had a pretty tough transition back.

But anyway, want to know my absolute least favorite player? The super idol! It has completely dictated the game this season. Hate it!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-12-2014, 10:41 PM
But anyway, want to know my absolute least favorite player? The super idol! It has completely dictated the game this season. Hate it!

I'm not so sure. Really, the only impact the super idol has had is to maybe embolden Tony, but this last episode was the first time any plan at all was made to try flush idols, then Kass wrecked it again.

Hopefully, next week is the last week that any idols can be played, the only thing is, if Tony somehow wins the immunity challenge, he can actually save not only himself but two others as well, if he so desires.

Unless Trish-Woo-Kass somehow make final 3 together, I don't see how any of them can win without a bitter jury situation.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-15-2014, 09:56 AM
At least things are getting interesting as we get to the finale. Spencer winning immunity at F5, especially after Tony dominated the challenge was great tv (and where were the other three failures).

I was having a debate with the wife about Tony and the idols. Initially we were both surprised that Tony didn't use his regular HII to save Trish, which then would have thrown the votes to Kass and eliminated her (which is a good thing) and would have given Tony a solid ally at F4 to ensure at least nothing worse than a tie. My initial read was that he botched his play.

Looking back though, I think he probably did the smartest thing. Post immunity challenge I think it became very evident (with Spence winning immunity) that tribal was going to be a Trish-Kass vote. I think if Tony could have controlled the situation without fallout he would have went after Woo, but that wasn't doable so he went with the majority which, if he makes F3, gives him Trish's vote. And, I'm not so certain that he needs her help at F4. Either Tony or Spencer will be in F3 and if Spence wins final immunity, Tony might get carried because people think he's beatable. Also, Tony did a good job of bluffing the Super Idol. Everyone assumes it has to be played by end of F5, like any other idol, but because Tony is the only one to know for certain, and the way he played his other idol, he's at least doing his best to sell that it can be used at F4. Woo and Trish would definitely believe it, Spence and Kass would probably question it.

Chaos Kass is defintely Classless Kass as she stoops to typical Survivor low of giving someone the other :number1: as they are exiting. The woman is either delusional, insecure or has an incredible ego that demands that she always be right and be seen as the one in charge. Does not seem likable.

Next week, my guess:

Spencer - wins F3 immunity and wins game, or is last member of the jury, only two paths I see for him.

Tony - if he can eliminate Spencer he can beat the other two, unless there is a bitter jury or if there was a darker side to him during the down times that was never shown.

Kass - only way she can win is if Spencer is gone and if the Jury is incredibly bitter over Tony. None of chaos Kass's moves really helped her in the end, it was Tony's alliance that helped her. She only wins if people are voting "not for Tony".

Woo - after 39 days, he might just be starting to understand there is a game going on, but he's still weighing his option. I just don't know how anyone can deem him best player. He certainly wasn't the challenge beast I thought he'd be, and he's shown zero strategy to us, and probably less to them. I really don't picture any scenario in which he wins unless there is a total conspiracy amongst the jury to not give it to either Kass or Tony.

I think any scenario that has Spencer in F3 gives him the win.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Just saw an on-line promo for the Survivor finale.

"4 Survivors - 3 Tribal Councils Remaining"

Doesn't take a math major to figure out that if this is true, it means that FTC will be a F2 this season and not a F3.

Not sure how I like that, obviously these guys are trying to set the stage for a final 3 showdown.

Kass/Woo should act like Siamese twins right now, whoever doesn't win immunity between Tony/Spencer gets their vote.

Unless Tony can bluff the idol one more tribal, basically he or Spence have to win the final 2 immunities to win.

Melanie
05-15-2014, 08:46 PM
I'm excited to go back to final 2. There is always that one who seems to be a non-factor.

Scar
05-19-2014, 08:21 AM
What the heck happened last night?

The last thing I remember was... "Next time on the season finale of Survivor..." I basically planned my evening on being home by 8:00, even had to rush something, get home as fast as I can, get in my house at exactly 8:00, turn on the TV expecting to here... "Previously on Survivor...," and NO SURVIVOR! What idiot changed this!!!

Melanie
05-19-2014, 08:30 AM
What the heck happened last night?

The last thing I remember was... "Next time on the season finale of Survivor..." I basically planned my evening on being home by 8:00, even had to rush something, get home as fast as I can, get in my house at exactly 8:00, turn on the TV expecting to here... "Previously on Survivor...," and NO SURVIVOR! What idiot changed this!!!

You mean the finale not being on Sunday this season? Not sure, but it's on Wednesday. ;)

Scar
05-19-2014, 09:03 AM
You mean the finale not being on Sunday this season?Yea. There were two things I could always count on... The sun coming up in the morning, and the Survivor season finale being on the Sunday after the penultimate show.

TheDuckRocks
05-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Yea, at first I thought it was going to be on Sunday night "as always". Then I knew that couldn't be right because Amazing Race had it's finale. I was very surprised to find it scheduled for Wednesday. :confused:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-19-2014, 01:01 PM
CBS announced quite a ways back that the finale for Survivor this season was going to be on a Wednesday. In addition, promos that came out shortly after last Wednesdays episode said 4 Survivors and 3 tribals, so clearly a final 2.

JanetMegan
05-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Will there still be a reunion show or not?

Melanie
05-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Will there still be a reunion show or not?

Yes, it's 3 hours tomorrow night. 2 hour show, 1 hour reunion.

JanetMegan
05-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Ok thanks, need to make DVR adjustments!

Scar
05-20-2014, 05:50 PM
..., need to make DVR adjustments!Hmmm... I think I need to look into one of these, sounds like it could solve some conflicts. Are DVR's expensive?

SBETigg
05-20-2014, 06:55 PM
I really don't mind anyone winning as long as it's not Tony. Woo seems like a good guy but he hasn't orchestrated any big moves. Kass made moves, and she's still there, but I'm still not sure they were the best moves. She might have been there with her original alliance had she made different moves. Spencer seems a tad smug, but he is also still there and has managed to try different things to stick around, most notably involving idols and winning immunity at the right time. Tony has made moves and worked and he's certainly a character, but I don't like him. I missed last week's show so I guess I'm not as up on this as I should be headed into the finale. I'm glad there's no Trish in the mix.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-21-2014, 02:52 PM
I really don't mind anyone winning as long as it's not Tony. Woo seems like a good guy but he hasn't orchestrated any big moves. Kass made moves, and she's still there, but I'm still not sure they were the best moves. She might have been there with her original alliance had she made different moves. Spencer seems a tad smug, but he is also still there and has managed to try different things to stick around, most notably involving idols and winning immunity at the right time. Tony has made moves and worked and he's certainly a character, but I don't like him. I missed last week's show so I guess I'm not as up on this as I should be headed into the finale. I'm glad there's no Trish in the mix.

If its not Tony or Spencer, it will be a major let down. Those two alone commanded most of the air time this season and pretty much everything post merge seems to revolve around one if not both of them.

Because they are airing this on a weeknight, and with kids and school, I think we are going to have to watch it in two parts. Hard to dedicated 3 straight hours on a school night.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Hmmm... I think I need to look into one of these, sounds like it could solve some conflicts. Are DVR's expensive?

Do you currently have cable? Normally with cable if you have just a basic converter box, which gives you the programming guide, they (Comcast in my case) usually charge $8-10 per month. You can upgrade that to a dvr for probably less than an extra $10 per month.

I think you can still buy dvr's independant of your local cable company, like buying from TIVO, in which case you buy and own the hardware (I'm just guessing $100-200??) and then you would pay a monthly fee for the programming guide.

Honestly, I don't know how I could live without one or how we ever managed before. Oh yeah, a stack of vhs tapes about 2 feet high with post it notes all over them with what was taped.

Scar
05-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Thanks'. I do have Comcast, but not HD. All my TV's are analog. Next time I'm near the local Comcast place I'll stop in and ask.

Melanie
05-22-2014, 07:28 AM
So for me, a really unsatisfying end to the season. I just don't respect the way Tony played the game, and therefore didn't like the outcome. I felt like there was a lot of damage control done at the reunion as well.

After Spencer was eliminated, all my excitement was deflated. I knew as soon as they highlighted that conversation between Woo and Kass where Woo says "yeah, like, I'd be the stupidest Survivor ever to take Tony to final 2", that that was exactly what was going to happen.

I think Woo got the 'quiet' edit all season just so there wouldn't be more chatter on how there is just nothing there. Nothing. I'm sure he is a perfectly nice kid, but wow.

I like how they put in some live stuff during the finale, but overall the reunion flopped for me. Again, too much time with stuff I just don't care about...Tyler Perry, Tony's creepy workmate, etc. Talk to the players! We didn't hear one thing about Trish and Lindsey fighting, Kass barely spoke, and for that matter, Woo barely spoke. Too much time spent trying to make Tony look like a good guy.

rjmdds
05-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Woo did win something. The tag of the DUMBEST Survivor ever. I don't buy all of that honor stuff when you are playing a ruthless game for $1 million. Spencer is the only one that could've beaten Tony. It was great season but a very disappointing ending. Oh well. Blood vs. Water 2.0 this September in Nicaragua.

SBETigg
05-22-2014, 09:30 AM
So for me, a really unsatisfying end to the season. I just don't respect the way Tony played the game, and therefore didn't like the outcome. I felt like there was a lot of damage control done at the reunion as well.

I totally agree, Melanie. He played the game as a bully who intimidated people into playing his way. I'm disappointed that no one stood up to him, except Kass, and that Spencer felt compelled to argue on behalf of Tony to the jury at the end. That was not good game play. It was excruciating to watch this season. I only held on because I kept thinking Tony would get his due eventually, and then... no.

I found it very telling that Sarah said he was sending her nasty tweets and texts when she was doing her exit interviews and she doesn't speak to him now. And then Jeff started cutting her off and trying to put a good spin on it. I think Tony is a big jerk who is used to intimidating people to get his way and the badge allows him to do it on a regular basis at work, unfortunately.

Also, when Jeff said, "Look for the idols, future contestants!" I was yelling at the TV, "stop making it about the idols, stupid producers!" We don't want to see bonehead players getting by because they have idols. We want to see players have to survive by their wits, brawn, or whatever else they bring to the game. I'm so done with the hidden immunity idol trick.

I did actually start hoping Kass would win toward the end because she would stand up for herself occasionally when no one else would. But I knew she wasn't going to make it, and I could see how it was headed with Woo. So disappointing.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Finally got around to watching the Survivor finale and reunion show. Having three elementary age school kids and having a 3 hour conclusion on a weeknight is darn near impossible to watch.

I was glad to see that Tony won. The fact that he massacred Woo 8-1 in jury votes is a pretty good indication, to me anyway, that Tony wasn't this bully bad guy that people like to portray him as. If was he might have still won, but no way it would have been 8-1 especially against a nice guy like Woo, ultimately the jury respected how he played the game.

Woo - total idiot, not unlike Colby in season 2, clearly had the million in his hand and handed it to another person. This whole loyalty mantra that he was spouting at the end, maybe he'd been doing it all season, but if was, we certainly didn't see it, so it seemed really odd that suddenly he had this need to beat the best. The one thing Jeff did get right at the Reunion show was "age vs experience".

The best F2 would have been Spencer and Tony, but it just didn't seem possible that that could happen. The one question I wish Jeff had asked of Tony was, why didn't you bite on Spencer's argument of the F2 scenario, because if Woo had 1/2 a brain, it would have ended just as Spencer predicted and we'd have had a terrible winner regardless.

Kaos Kass was pretty much clueless Kass right up to the end. She tried to shoot down Woo as an idiot at FTC and Woo threw it right back in her face "you don't deserve to be here" and she just stood there dumbfounded, like "I'm Kaos Kass, you can't say that about me, I'm the one tearing you down." Could not stand her. She needs to learn that stupidity isn't gender specific, enough of the "if I were a man they would have respected my game." No they wouldn't, stupid is still stupid.

I do think the final jury Q&A was extremely heavily edited and prompted. The questions and editing certainly did not lend itself to an 8-1 final vote. I'm certain they (production) knew it was going to be a landslide, so they either prompted questions a/o redited them to make it look like Woo had a chance of beating Tony.

Reunion show I thought, again, was terrible. Jeff is too much into himself. The live cut-aways during the actual show I thought was terrible. Took me out of the moment and gave me nothing in return. The audience questions and the kids were dumb, enough of the stupid Tyler Perry, all he did was suggest putting the super idol into play later in the game, big deal, and he didn't even talk to 3 or 4 of the 18 Survivors. I also didn't like that the live segments that ran during the finale also took away from the reunion show. Fortunately we dvr'd everything, but the finale actually went 10+ minutes over.

Not sure how I rate the season overall. I definitely liked having all new players, refreshing for a change. The bad part was that basically two personalities pretty much dominated the entire season. Unfortunately it was pretty easy to predict from about the merge until F4.

I haven't heard of any confirming rumors, but there has been speculation that Brendan and Rachel from BB and Amazing Race could be one of the BvW teams next season. I have no idea if there is any truth in this or if its just idle speculation and rumor. I just can't imagine that they'd last long.

Unfortunately with bringing back BvW Jeff Probst also confirmed the return of redemption island for next season. Although he said there will be a twist introduced with the duels but didn't say what (loved on participation?)

Season hasn't been filmed yet, but its confirmed that it will be all new players, no returnees.

SBETigg
05-28-2014, 12:51 PM
All new players for the second blood v water? That's interesting.

I disagree on Tony not being a bully. I think he won because he played the game, and because he was at the end with Woo, who did not (though Woo seems like a good guy). I think Spencer's argument on Tony's behalf went a long way with the jury, too. I greatly disliked Tony and probably wouldn't have rewarded his type of game play-- but who knows. We get to see more than the players in the game. I think a lot of them who voted for Tony might have changed their minds after watching the season play out at home. The worst thing for me would be to be beaten by a Tony. To know that you let him stay and never made a move against someone so boneheaded, crass, bullying, and rude. That would bother me.

I disagree with you about Kass, too. I didn't love her, but I do think she would have been perceived differently if she were male, and I can't blame her for thinking Woo made a really dumb move. Clearly, he did and she was right about that. Woo should have brought Kass to the end. She was fully aware that she'd burned bridges and no one liked her enough to hand her a win. At least, I liked that she stood up to Tony on occasion when no one else would. Though, of course, it didn't get her anywhere.

I don't mind Redemption Island as much as I mind hidden immunity idols. I'm so tired of the hidden immunity idols! But RI worked for the Blood v Water season, at least.

Melanie
05-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Yes, BvW is all new players, as confirmed by Jeff in an interview. Everyone just assumed returning players when we heard BvW. I know I did. I heard the twist was nothing more than just having 2 compete (instead of 3), but haven't we had a 2 person Redemption before? Who knows if that's anywhere near the truth.

And a week out, I still agree with all I first said and everything you've said since, Sherri.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-28-2014, 02:57 PM
I think there is a lot at final tribal that we don't see. I do think the jury is coached and I think many questions & answers are edited out. With an 8-1 final outcome, I really don't think Spencer's speech had that much to do with it. For some people, it could have worked in reverse. I think Tony was a paranoid player, but then again as they say, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you. Spencer commented I think at the reunion show, Tony was extremely intuitive and could seem to sniff things out fairly quickly. If he was a bully it was because his little lap dogs like Woo and Kass and Trish were all content to let him take the bullets and all the risk. I didn't think that of all people that Sarah would have voted for Tony yet she did. If he was truly a bully out there, I don't think the jury would have respected his game enough to award him an 8-1 victory.

Kass = Cochrane his first season. Making "big moves' just for the sake of making moves and creating chaos. Had any of Kass' moves proven intelligent or taking her deeper into the game (while retaining control) then I think she would have been perceived differently, regardless of being a woman. But being crass, beligerent and stupid isn't gender specific. Kass even said it herself, repeatedly, they hate me. It wasn't because she was a woman, but if she were a man, then her last name would be Hantz, because that's kind of how she played the game socially. You can't wake up every morning, call someone and idiot then expect them to award you a million. For whatever the real reason, and I don't think it had anything to do with gender, no one liked her. I don't know if she could have beaten anyone by the time 38 days came and went.

I still would have loved to have seen Tony and Spencer battle it out, that would have been good.

SBETigg
05-29-2014, 11:06 AM
As for Kass, I can't entirely disagree. She went for the big moves, as you say, which were not always the smart moves, and her social game wasn't good. But we're not going to agree about Tony, clearly. I think it was Spencer's ego that made him want to think that Tony was that intuitive and not just bullying. Looking back, after watching the behind the scenes action play out, I'm not sure he would feel that way again. There's only one way Tony made it to the end besides his bullying, and that is with the idols. People were too afraid to call those idols out and then have it bite them later.

Hearing from Sarah at the finale proved that she definitely would have changed her vote after the fact. He harassed her throughout her exit interviews. To me, that was very relevant as to his true character and Jeff couldn't move on fast enough from the revelation during the finale. We're just going to disagree on it, but from what I've seen, there's a lot of audience dissatisfaction with the Tony win.