PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Dining Options

jgonyo
01-22-2014, 10:56 AM
My husband and I have switched to a vegetarian diet since our last Disney vacation. I know that Disney will do a great job accommodating our veggie diet but are there any restaurants that have more or better options than others? We will be looking for dining options in all of the parks.

SBETigg
01-22-2014, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't rule anything out. There are vegetarian options on most if not all menus and even at a seemingly meat-heavy destination like 'Ohana, I have heard that the chef is more than happy to create a delicious vegetarian option or cater to special diets. Not that I would choose 'Ohana if my whole party was vegetarian.

I think you would do especially well in World Showcase, Japan's Tokyo Dining, Italy's Via Napoli and for Quick Service, Tangierine Cafe in Morocco and Katsuru Grill in Japan. Sunshine Seasons might be a good choice.

Boma is a good bet for a vegetarian looking for a buffet. Tusker House and Yak and Yeti in the Animal Kingdom might also be good. A Signature restaurant like California Grill or Citricos would offer a vegetarian dish or two, and also never be afraid to ask for more options. The chefs can adapt certain dishes to vegetarian, or create something. There's a Vegan bakery, Babycakes, in Downtown Disney. You didn't say you're vegan, just adding that in.

Columbia Harbour House in the MK has a delicious Lighthouse Sandwich (hummus). Tony's Town Square is supposed to have a few options, too. Hollywood Brown Derby, Sci Fi Dine In, and Mama Melrose are good in DHS, and there are some veggie burger options at quick service places.

Prudence
01-22-2014, 10:00 PM
I found the menus at allears.net to be a great help as a vegetarian. I'm planning on tamu tamu at animal kingdom but tucker house is perfect for sit down. BOG and Columbia house at MK. I'd try the Moroccan section in world showcase and electric umbrella on the future side of Epcot. I feel like I saw greek salads a few spots at Hollywood studios.

For sit down dining outside the parks, nothing beats Boma at animal kingdom lodge. Also trying soma there on our next trip.

Prudence
01-22-2014, 10:27 PM
I actually find the world showcase the hardest place to order off of the menu - especially if you have a kid vegetarian.

BriarRose0708
01-23-2014, 07:16 AM
On my most recent trip a couple weeks ago my Vegan sister had no trouble finding lots of options at table service places. All the sit-down restaurants we visited have separate Vegan/vegetarian menus, all you need to do is mention it to your server or at the host stand when you check in. She was very pleased with all her experiences. You definitely don't have to eat salad at every meal.

Counter service is a little more difficult, but if you know where to go it's not that bad. Just more limited choices. Sherri already mentioned many of them. My favorite counter service place to go is Tangerine Cafe in the Morocco pavilion. Their vegetable platter is delicious and you get a lot of food. Happy eating!

disneynarula
01-24-2014, 11:59 AM
My MIL is vegan and never had a problem. The only place I would not go is O'Hana. They will get you something there but it is not worth the amount you pay since it is a fixed price menu and the meat is really the star of the show, everything else is an afterthought.

Her favorite places at Sanaa and Boma. They also made her a delicious meal at Captain's Grille. Most places have vegetarian options. The counter service at Tangerine Cafe and Wolfgang Puck express have nice vegetarian options.

jgonyo
01-24-2014, 12:55 PM
Thank you for all of the helpful responses. I am sure it will be a great trip and we will have fun trying all of the vegetarian options that Disney has to offer. :mickey:

NJGIRL
01-24-2014, 05:39 PM
I think I have eaten at 90 % of Disney table service and quick service and I have been a vegetarian for 25 years now. The only restaurant that really was uninterested in serving me a decent dinner was Le Cellier.

One tip I would give you is to steer clear of the veggie burgers in Disney. They don't know how to cook them. For someone like me who eats them all of the time at home, I find the Disney versions to be mushy with no taste.

Some of my favorites are Teppan Edo, La Hacienda, The Plaza, The Liberty Tree, SciFi.....

If you are looking at a particular restaurant let me know and I can tell you what I have had that is good there.