PDA

View Full Version : Three months later I was inspired to post...

Goofy4TheWorld
01-21-2014, 11:06 PM
[I had this typed up months ago, but never had time to fine tune the grammar (I still didn't fine tune it) but this thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=203220) inspired me to finally post my story...]

Before I begin my thread, let me go ahead and get a few things out of the way: MDE, FP+, MB, and Horizons.

Good to get that over with, since all threads must now reference them!

As has become my family's tradition, our recent trip to Disney had some drama, something that so quickly took me from being utterly disgusted with Disney to totally in awe. But before I explain that, I want to make a few observations.

All week, I noticed a pattern where Disney Magic was very apparent in my vacation, and a pattern where it was not there at all.

A few of the problems I faced were:
- Room charges did not work at all on minute 1 of the trip
- Room charges stopped working on day 3
- In order to stay an extra night at AoA, I had to visit the front desk 3 separate times
- It was not until the second trip to the front desk that I was told the extra night would require a totally separate reservation, and was told that a voicemail would be sent to my room to explain what to do
- My room access was almost totally shut off for my "extra night" reservation, no KTTK card or MagicBand would work until my sixth trip to the front desk

The details of my problems started with no room charging at all, and the AoA manager confessed MUCH later that 90% of CMs make the same mistake that was made on my account. When you use online check-in, your credit card information and charging privileges are automatically transferred onto your room folio and there is no need for the check-in CM to re-setup your charging privileges, it is already completed. If that CM does not know that fact (and 90% appear to not) then when they re-setup charging privileges, the system enters a ZERO for your credit limit, and if the CM fails to change that back to $500, then you will be stuck at your first cash register broke and thirsty. (In 2010 my room charges would not work because the CM forgot to enter a Zip Code in my profile, and that prevented charges until I returned to the desk). Then on day 3 my account reached it's $500 limit, and the system failed to automatically charge my Visa and start over with a new $500 limit, resulting in 35 minutes of time lost at the RnRc gift shop.

I felt a little Pixie Dust come my way when, after checking online and seeing AoA was booked for the Friday of my departure, the front desk (well, really the back room behind the front desk) said they would take my exact room out of inventory and give me 24 hours to confirm I wanted the room an extra night! I came back 8 hours later to confirm, but was then told the computers couldn't actually do it until Thursday or Friday, to come back then. So I come back Thursday afternoon to confirm my stay for Friday, and only then was I told that it required a totally separate reservation (which I knew was likely to cause technical problems) and that I had to swipe my Visa to pay for it (using a MagicBand made be NEVER carry my Visa around, so I did not have it on me!). I was also told that I would have to return to the from desk Friday morning to check out and back in, that I could not do it right then. At that point I was really upset, if I was going to pay for an extra day I wanted that day to be at MK, not the front desk. The guy (Zach) was really cold and felt more like an IRS auditor than a Disney CM, and wouldn't really tell me the details of how the reservation changeover would work with KTTC cards and MagicBands, he just kept repeating that I would get a voicemail to my room explaining it all (long story short, the voicemail arrived late Friday night, 12 hours too late). I left Zach and the front desk so upset that I really wanted to just forget the extra day and leave, but Zach just took my money for the room so I guess he won.

I returned to the pool with the wife and kids after my exchange with Zach, and I was just so over this trip. The constant technological problems were wearing me down, I had lost over two hours standing in line and dealing with Guest Relations, the Front Desk, and Concierge, and was just tired of all of the background issues of this Disney vacation. I will come back to the pool moment in time in a minute, but to wrap up the last item on my problems list, Friday morning there were new KTTC cards slid under my door, which was a total shock and in direct contradiction to Zach's statement that I had to come back to the front desk. I woke up early and went to the front desk anyway, and the CM seemed puzzled as to what she should do and while she was poking around she deactivated all of my new KTTC cards except my 5 year olds. I realized this when I returned to the room at 6am and was locked out of a room full of sleeping family members. My second trip to the front desk left me with "it must have been a fluke in updating the new reservation, try again in 20 minutes." It never did work, we had to use my son's card to get in the room, and finally Friday night when I was still unable to use my own card or band I literally walked straight behind the front desk to the manager podium thingy and said you have got to fix this krap for me, this is beyond ridiculous. The manager went back to his podium and saw that the cards were are supposed to work and was really unsure what was wrong, but he said he will just reprint the KTTC cards, and when he did all cards and all bands started working.

What went well? Plenty, even the FP+ system, but a few things that stuck out were:
- The rider switch was really great and really quick, everyone in the family went to the FP entrance and we got a paper FP that let us re-enter anytime, no fuss, no smart phone.
-Mousekeeping really seemed organized this time, never anything missed, never any conflicts with them being in the room during nap time, and never a day without a towel animal or stuffed animal arrangement made.
-The busses ran far smoother than I can remember in the last 10 years, and I think the reason was because at AoA they almost always had an attendant working the park bus stops to keep things moving quickly, and that attendant almost always had a second bus loading side-by-side, many times he drove the ECVs on the bus for people who were not really experienced enough to do it, and twice I saw an attendant tell the bus driver that the ECV had just pulled up and to go ahead and load the bus and the ECV will catch the next one. I also saw an attendant gently direct the large party accompanying an ECV to wait in the regular line and he would make sure they all loaded on the same bus (but obviously not guaranteed a seat). These efforts definitely made everyone a lot less tense about the whole ECV issue since there was an effort to reduce the resentment that often comes from the ECV early-loading issue. Only one time were we stressed at all over bussing, and it was the one time there was no attendant present during a busy time
- There were CMs with stickers for the kids everywhere, I came home with a pocket full of them almost every night. This was something I had not experienced with my two previous trips with small children.

This trip was really a great trip in lots of small ways, and that includes lots of positive effects from our testing of FP+, but what took me from the brink of renouncing Disney to thinking Disney could make wine out of water happened right after my not-so-magical encounter with Zach at the front desk over my attempt to stay an extra day at AoA. But before I move on, let me just say that it is totally ridiculous that Disney cannot extend a reservation for an extra day without having to make an entirely new reservation, it is a very basic function of the hotel industry and not being able to simply change the departure date without all of this fuss flies in the face of the Disney motto of "keep them on property spending money"!

continued below....

Goofy4TheWorld
01-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Now for the pool...

Thursday night was supposed to be our packing night, but with the extra day we had a "lets relax" night around the resort. With the extra night, we also needed clean underwear for the next day, so my wife and I were trading kids-in-the-pool duty while I tended to paying for the extra night and she tended to some laundry. I could right a book about DS5, but lets just say he is a determined child, even at only age 5 (and 1, 2, 3, & 4). While both kids were swimming in the Cars pool DS5 announced that he wanted to go to the other end of the Cars pool, and when I said no that we were staying put, DS5 said "I am going anyway" and then proceeded to do just what he said. I just kind of stood there paralyzed, no sure what to do since I had to watch DS2 (who can't swim) and yet DS5 is on his way out of my view and out of my reach to physically stop him. So this goes on for about 10 seconds, and when I turn my head away from DS5 and back to DS2 I do not see him. I do, however, see a child thrashing and submerged in the pool who is obviously in trouble, so I jump in the pool only to realize that it is my son, DS2. I jerk him out of the water right as I see him exhale a big bubble of air into the water. He starts coughing up large amounts of water then goes silent for a few seconds before finally he screams "back in pool!".

DS2 starts crying and then DS5 starts screaming at me because I threw DS2's goggles off his face, and a chaotic moment erupts until my wife finally rounds the corner a few seconds later (FYI at no point has either Lifeguard noticed what is going on). I briefly tell her what happened and then DS2 starts coughing water up again, so I tell her that we all need to head to the room and get everyone in dry clothes. DS2 coughs up more water in the hallway of AoA, at which point I decide he must go the ER. My wife and I decide it would be best to split up, me taking charge of the ER trip and her staying in the room with DS5. I grab the diaper bag and the Simba stuffed animal and head out the door.

Thanks to Intercot, I had this gut feeling that my best option would be to go to the front desk and ask them to call me cab, even though I had a car and could drive. I wasn't sure why I thought it best to go through them, I just kind of felt like I knew my limits and I needed a sane adult to assist me (which is very much against my natural instinct of taking care of myself). I wasn't even sure of what the front desk could do for me, I just had this vague memory that everyone on the boards always went to the front desk when sick. I walked up to a CM named Todd that I had overheard talking positively with another guest while I was having my not-so-magical time with Zach, and I asked him to find someone that can call me a cab. I explained what had happened, at which point he retreated to the back room to seek advise on what to do. He quickly returned and said that it would be best to call for an ambulance, that Disney would pay for the ambulance ride to Celebration Hospital and that using an ambulance would get us the quickest assistance should things turn bad. I shook my head in agreement, then after Todd completed his call to 911 I had a 5 second breakdown before Todd went and got me a towel. He had to tell me it was for me to wipe the sweat off of me and try to cool off some (it was at that point that I realized that I was soaked in sweat and I realized just how fast my heart was beating).

So Todd takes me to a small room tucked in the corner of the area just inside the AoA front doors where I am met with a manager as well as security, who both ask me what happened. The manager offers to call my wife and fill her in on the plan while the paramedics are preparing for the ride to the ER. Then the manager reiterates that Disney would be paying for the ambulance ride, and also that they would provide me a voucher for a free cab ride back to the resort later on. She gave me the direct telephone number to the AoA front desk and said to just call them and they would make sure a cab was sent for me when it was time to return. At some point during all of this another CM walks in and hands my son a Nala stuffed animal to go with his Simba one that I grabbed on the way out of our room, which was just an indescribably amazing act as my son had pitched a small fit earlier that day to buy about 6 animals, Nala being one of them. That moment was priceless to me (and yet I still cannot remember that CMs name, just her face).

Everyone at Disney was just amazing, then we rode to the ER with a great paramedic, the ER staff was fast and compassionate, Disney had a cab 3 minutes after I called for one, and two different guest relations managers called the next morning to check on us (although their nice thought was dampened just a tiny bit by the fact that I went to bed at 3am and I was still asleep when they called!). Todd at AoA was especially terrific, and I later learned he was a retired NYC paramedic who came to work for Disney after he retired. The series of chance events that night shook me tremendously, both as a parent and as a Disney fan. I was never happier to be at Disney that next morning than I had ever been in my life, the family got up and spent our last day at MK having been reminded quiet clearly how lucky we were, no matter the challenges.

So, what was the point of the story that started over 2,500 words earlier?

Every time I had a bad experience with Disney, technology was standing in the way. Every time I had an exceptionally good encounter with Disney, it was when a CM had nothing between them and me but a choice to be good or to be great. Whether they are handing out stickers or rider switch passes, just cleaning the room, making sure the bus que lines operate smoothly, or saving my sanity in a moment of crisis for my family, all the things they did great were things that needed nothing fancier than a piece of paper and an exceptional CM. While I enjoyed FP+, I really hope technology doesn't doom CM interactions to nothing more the technical support issues, since they may be all anyone has time for!

So there is my hybrid trip report & random observation rolled into one long, rambling manifesto. Congratulation for making it to the end!

Be sure to gather all of your personal belongings, grab small children by the hand, and take the exit doors in the back of the theater.

Goofy4TheWorld
01-21-2014, 11:29 PM
Oh yea, DS2 was fine, he had a clean X-ray and after a few hours of observation was released. The worst he got was a persistent cough from the irritation of his throat from the chlorine. The next day he may have gotten a toy or two that he otherwise would have never got!

faline
01-22-2014, 06:02 AM
I am so glad your son was okay. You certainly did the right thing by taking him to be checked out. It's good to hear that Disney responded to your family emergency in such a positive way.

The difficulties you experienced must have been incredibly frustrating.

Pirate Granny
01-22-2014, 07:39 AM
Glad your son was OK. Not to certain how observant the lifeguards are anymore. I slipped and fell and hit my head at BLT pool and neither of the three lifeguard saw or came over afterwards. Three other adults came to my assistance. I saw stars, was not knocked out but WOW... I now refuse to let any grandchild swim in Disney pools without one on one with an adult in the water less than two feet away. We will have 4 DGK at BCV this June and I plan to have a stern talk with all my daughters before the first dip in the pool. Kids are young 4-5-7-7, so since it's a wonderful pool, full of places to explore and the slide on the other side of the road...we will be super carefull.
Love your trip report. How did you like the main pool at A of A?

mickclub1955
01-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Thank you for your report. You think you ramble you should see my trip reports, LOL!!! So sorry you had that experience with your son. Glad it brought out the good in certain cast members and that compassion was shown. Technology is cold and unfortunately we are becoming a slave to it. I know that this is linked to other story and it goes to prove that yes there are good castmembers out there, sometimes that is not the case. We must remain viligant when it comes to our precious little ones. Again, thank you for sharing your story.

VWL Mom
01-22-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm glad everything turned out okay for your son and am pleased to hear that Disney responded in such a positive manner. Scary stuff!

As far as the technology portion, I think it may be coming around slowly. I know there were a lot less people lined up to have something fixed two weeks ago then when we were there in August. In the meantime I still carried my AP and Visa with me (just in case). Actually came in handy when we left DHS and went to Epcot one day and I was told there was no AP on my Magic Band anymore. They sent me back to the window who of course saw the AP attached. Went back to the gate, no AP. Luckily I had it with me so I just swiped it and got in. No problems after that. So for now I will continue to use the Magic Band but will still have my lanyard as a back up.

BTW, AP holders should keep in mind that in order to get any dining/shopping discounts you still need to show the actual card along with a photo ID.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
I would have been scared to death too:scared::medic: so glad he was okay. Thanks for the report, good points made

Goofy4TheWorld
01-22-2014, 09:24 PM
How did you like the main pool at A of A?

Well, it was cold for October that week, so I was not keen on water regardless. The zero entry was nice, but my kids disliked the salt water and I was REALLY disappointed in the underwater music. I swear I read it was audio of Crush, Marlin, and Dory piped into the water, but it was nothing more than the same music played above the water line, nothing special.

Since I have one wild child and one who can't swim, we realized after the second swim that the quiet pool was a better place for us to be. There was too many things to keep track of at the main pool, and as you have read, even at the quiet pool I can't keep up with my two wild ones.

My kids would have enjoyed the splash area far more, but it was closed the entire week we were there.

Patricia
01-23-2014, 11:50 AM
So glad your son is ok!! Sounds like you were feeling anxious and had a panic attack.. and rightly so, that must have been scary for you. Small children are so fast. :bolt:

Disney has always been great to deal with when anyone has needed medical attention in my family.

I thought I was the only one that had technology issues at WDW that result in several trips to the front desk due to room lock outs, wrong credit charges, etc.. My problems being before all this new stuff arrived. :(

Mickey'sGirl
01-23-2014, 12:04 PM
You tell a story well. My heart is racing. So glad that your son was fine.

Aurora
02-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Thanks for sharing all of your experiences. You certainly had a trip for the books. I too had a frightening experience with one of my children years ago and found the CMs fantastic in helping.

I'm so sorry about all of your issues with the technology. My brother came home from a recent trip and didn't have the problems that you did, but had many smaller issues that he wasn't happy with.

I hope they figure all this out soon. It's been a couple of years since our last trip, and I wanted to start planning again, but I just don't want to it to be a big exercise in frustration.

vizsla
02-05-2014, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the report.