PDA

View Full Version : Family Gathering Trip - Final thoughts

Dulcee
01-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Traveling as a large group
DH and I will not be doing a big trip with his parents again. It just didn't work well. We were leary planning this trip but went ahead anyway. While we had a good time it won't happen again. Melding vacation styles of this many adults is no easy task. Touring the parks in a group of 7 isn't easy. I can only imagine that once I'm wrangling a small child my tolerance will be even lower then it was this trip.

Traveling pregnant
We hadn't exactly planned on me being pregnant this trip. We figured it would take longer then it did for us to get pregnant to begin with! However I have to say Disney is pretty pregnant friendly. There were few rides I couldn't or wouldn't do. And when I did opt out there was something close by to sub in.
It also gave us the unique perspective of thinking how different our next trip will be with a little one in tow. I can't wait!

Fast pass plus/Magic bands/My disney experience
I know there have been a lot of negative feelings towards all of this. This is the second time DH and I used fastpass +. The last was in Dec '12. We've liked it, really liked it, both times.
Its nice not having to run for paper fast passes. Its nice knowing if we can't make a time that I can easily modify that time and not have to chuck the fast pass altogether.

We LOVED the bands. We didn't have any problems getting them to scan. Paying for things this was easy, getting into the parks was easy. The only problem DH encountered was scanning his band to get into the resort. He couldn't contort his wrist and lean far enough out of the car to get the gate up.

The My Disney Experience App still has flaws. It could certainly work better and I hope it does when we return. When it worked it was GREAT. When it didn't work it made me what to throw my smart phone into Ariel's Grotto.

Dining
The food was ok this trip. The restaurants were not all our choices and frankly this is another reason we won't be traveling in a big group again. DH and I don't dine out at home, we don't get take out. Dining out is almost only done on vacation so we like nice restaurants when we go. We missed some favorites because of the group selections.

Highlights were Jiko's and Via Napoli. We'll be doing both again on our return trip without a doubt!

Another thing we'll be back to is the dining plan. DH and I both like the ease of it all being paid for. It may not be more economically (though this trip we still spent almost as much as the dining plan would have cost) but for us we enjoy the peace of mind of knowing its done.

Universal
I feel like there has been a lot of universal love on these boards lately. I'll admit that after visiting I don't understand why. Universal studios was a huge disappointment. Islands of Adventure was ok but the only area that wow-ed me was Harry Potter. There the main ride was beautifully themed. But the dueling coaster dragon ride seemed like they forced it to fit and just kind of snuck it back there. Our other issue was the whole vibe of the park is decidedly not as young, happy or magical as the WDW parks. You don't get the feeling of being away from it all, rather you feel like your in an amusement park.

While I'd love to see Diagon Alley once finished, we won't be rushing back anytime soon.

We'll be back to Disney hopefully soon. DH and I started planning for June 2015 already...I'm sure that will be a whole other adventure with a 10 month old along for the ride!

faline
01-19-2014, 03:50 PM
When you know what you want to do in the parks and how you want to do it, it can be a challenge to modify your touring style to accommodate others.

The dueling dragon ride was there before the changeover to Harry Potter - it was just rethemed to fit in with the Harry Potter area.

I'm sure your next trip will be very different but in a wonderful way!!

hauntedmansiongirl
01-20-2014, 02:45 AM
Thanks for all your reports! :mickey:

yjgirl32
01-20-2014, 09:04 AM
I agree it is very hard to please a large group. Hard to keep everyone happy. My next trip we will have 3 different families so it will be even more interesting. I agree with you about Universal- too many 3d and 4d rides. I wasn't impressed. Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!

KylesMom
01-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks for sharing all of the details - the good, not-so-good and the downright frustrating. You kept your cool with the complaining and feet dragging better than I ever could for sure!

I will look forward to the announcement when our newest INTERCOT member is born - and very much look forward to that first trip report with said fan in tow. It will truly be magical! :mickey:

cer
01-20-2014, 03:42 PM
And the BIG question is...

Would you say MIL and FIL enjoyed their anniversary trip? Wasn't this their anniversary trip, instead of the family cruise they were originally planning, right?

I hope they had a good time.

Dulcee
01-21-2014, 11:21 AM
And the BIG question is...

Would you say MIL and FIL enjoyed their anniversary trip? Wasn't this their anniversary trip, instead of the family cruise they were originally planning, right?

I hope they had a good time.

I think they did. Despite all the hullaballoo about it being a anniversary trip FIL ended up booking themselves a cruise as well (for the two of them) this coming April. I think they got the best of both worlds that way, getting all the kids together pre-grandkids and a low key vacation for the two of them.

cer
01-21-2014, 02:08 PM
I think they did. Despite all the hullaballoo about it being a anniversary trip FIL ended up booking themselves a cruise as well (for the two of them) this coming April. I think they got the best of both worlds that way, getting all the kids together pre-grandkids and a low key vacation for the two of them.

Oh, good! I know it is hard travelling with a group outside your immediate family. I am glad they enjoyed the trip. We were there over marathon weekend (POR) and got to see the treehouse villas on a boatride to Downtown Disney - very nice!

emerzmom
01-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Thank you for sharing your trip and thoughts. I have never been with a large group however I can see that it can be a challenge.
Congrats again on your pregnancy!
:tink:
Julie

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the reports

princessgirls
01-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Thanks for your trip reports!!!

It is hard traveling in a large group, lots of opinions, and mine not being the strongest, I tend to go with the flow...sometimes it works for us, and most times it doesn't. I'm getting older (mid forties) and tend not to want to compromise what/how we like to vacation because we work too hard for the time off. Kind of been there done that and it's not working for me anymore!

Excited for this next chapter in your life! Enjoy it all!
Julie:mickey:

WDWFRK
02-08-2014, 03:52 PM
I really enjoyed reading all of your reports! Traveling with a large group always SOUNDS like a fun idea...until you get there ;). Like you, my DH and I are Disney go getters; my extended family, not so much. Thanks for sharing :mickey:.