PDA

View Full Version : Driving from MA to SC

terri110874
01-17-2014, 09:57 AM
We are going Columbia SC area in April. It looks like it will be 2 days of driving. This will be my first time driving this area. It will be my son (13) and myself. Thinking Dumpries VA would a half way point to spend the night. Any advice of places to stop along the way for food, gas, or just stretch out. Any places to avoid stopping in. Thank you

TheDuckRocks
01-17-2014, 10:30 AM
What route are you taking?

terri110874
01-17-2014, 11:34 AM
95 south will be the main route. Maybe different routes near NYC and DC to avoid traffic.

Scar
01-17-2014, 03:50 PM
If you're not looking for anything in particular, my best advice is to get off at an exit that has many options for food, gas, etc. The more options the better, and those exits tend to have the places right off the exit. In case you're not aware, almost every exit that has these facilities, have blue signs about a mile or so before the exit that lists what's available.

NJGIRL
01-18-2014, 03:34 PM
If you don't already have one purchase a good GPS. Ours is a garmin and you just press a few buttons and it will tell you the nearest gas stations, restaurants and hotels among other things. They also are great to have in case construction or accidents take you off of your planned route.

MinnieMal
01-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Hi Terri, I did similar drive from CT to Elon, NC a few months ago with my DS for a college visit. We mostly travelled on 95. My advice would be - consider joining AAA if you aren't already a member (great peace of mind with roadside assistance, towing, etc.); estimate where you will be during rush hours and avoid the congested spots like the GW bridge, and DC if possible during those times. (we of course, joined the DC workers on their way home, just days after the shutdown ended!).

I used Trip Advisor before hand to identify a couple of potential good (well populated) stopping points mid-way, and read the guest reviews beforehand. There were some surprisingly very booked areas so I'm glad I reserved rooms in advance. We stayed just outside of Richmond on the way down, and made it back up to the Baltimore area on the return. Fredericksburg, VA might be a good consideration - it's is just a bit past Dumfries, and I recall it has many hotels and restaurants very near to the highway (route 3 exit).

Given that it's the two of you, I'd opt for driving during daylight hours, researching and pre-reserving hotels (you can always cancel by 6 if you needed to) and having AAA for some added peace of mind.

Sounds like a beautiful time of year to head south - ahhhh!