PDA

View Full Version : Vegans and Omnivores Dining Report January 9 - 12! Part 2

BriarRose0708
01-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Continued from Part 1...

Picabu
After running the half, we spent some time in the pool and then in the room napping, showering and snacking on the goodies in our post-race food boxes. But we were ready for something more substantial. Too sore to want to get on a bus and walk around Downtown Disney, I looked for availability at Beaches and Cream but there was none to be had. We decided to give Picabu's a try over at the Dolphin since I'd never been there before and I thought it would be easy to find something Jessica could eat.

This sounds weird, but compared to other food courts/cafeteria style places on property, Picabu was much smaller than I thought it would be. But they had a good variety of choices. Jessica got tacos with felafel, veggies, guacamole and a side of fries. I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with cheese and sauteed mushrooms with a side of fries. It was about 1:45 in the afternoon so the place was dead and our food was brought out to us really quickly. I liked that our meals were cooked to order and everything tasted very good. Jessica also found some Vegan goodies in the convenience store area of the check out and she was very happy to eat them for breakfast the next day.

Boardwalk Margarita Stand
The weather Saturday afternoon was perfect, and we Northerners wanted to soak up 80 degree weather in January as much as possible. So on the way back from Picabu we stopped at the margarita stand and sipped them on the big porch overlooking the water. A great way to keep relaxing (and hydrating?) after our run.

Jiko
I had been looking forward to our celebratory dinner at Jiko for months! I'm so happy to say it did not disappoint. We arrived at AKL right on time for our 6:15 ADR and were seated in about 8 minutes. Immediately we fell in love with the atmosphere of the restaurant, it was quiet yet felt cozy and I liked that for once we were at a table service place that didn't have tables so close together you felt the need to be part of someone else's family. And we didn't have to shout across the table to be heard.

Our server was very nice & attentive the whole meal. Again he asked if there were dietary needs and he brought out a separate vegan menu for my sister, which was almost as long as the regular menu! Jess has already requested we come back next trip so she can try more because everything sounded so good. I am ok with that! The bread service was brought out separately since the honey wheat bread isn't vegan but the flaxseed is. I LOVED the tandoori butter, it was the most unique condiment I think I've ever had.

Initially I wanted to order the filet with mac & cheese, mostly because it's the signature dish everyone talks about and I do love me some good steak. But for whatever reason that night I just wasn't feeling a heavy meal. So I decided to go with the West African "Jerk" Scallops, served with julienne veggies over basmati rice and red quinoa in a coconut curry sauce. This. was. de.licious. I seriously wanted to lick my plate! The scallops were seared perfectly on the outside and cooked tender and sweet on the inside. I really liked the sauce, it wasn't too sweet and had just the right amount of heat from the curry. I paired my dish with a glass of white wine that was crisp and went really well with the scallops, but I can't remember the brand!

Jessica ordered what was basically the same dish as me but with tofu instead of seafood and paired hers with a Safari Amber beer. She liked her meal but said she should have gotten the non-tofu dish since she can make tofu any time. She also ordered dessert, a coconut milk panacotta served with fruit. My dessert was the coffee creme brulee served with doughnut holes and vanilla sauce. It was so yummy! It had a strong coffee flavor and the texture of the creme was so smooth. The top was a little too well done for me, but I love the contrast of breaking the sugar with my spoon and having the combination of creamy and crunchy in each bite. My only regret is that I couldn't finish it all. Obviously this was the best meal of the entire trip.

So that's pretty much it. Thanks for reading, I hope I've left you hungry!

yjgirl32
01-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks for sharing.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Everything sounds wonderful. Thanks for the report.