PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express- your longest wait

Bruegge
01-15-2014, 11:58 PM
I've been all over checking out things Disney since I have not been there for 7 years.

I never used Magical Express... luggage transfer from MCO to our Disney hotel.

Info I saw somewhere stated that it could be as long as 3 hours after arrival (not sure if that's plane arrival or our arrival at the hotel) till bags will be in your room.

Since we will be arriving at MCO at 4:00 pm (June 2014) we should be checked in by 5:30 I'm guessing (staying at GF). We have a dinner ressie at Citricos at 7:45.

We would love to change for dinner, and unpack first if possible...

What is the longest you waited for your bags doing the Magical Express? should I be concerned?

g8rgirl29
01-16-2014, 12:11 AM
I think that would be cutting it pretty close. If you really want to change clothing I would pack the change of clothes in your carry on bag so you are sure to have it.

DisneyLove
01-16-2014, 07:31 AM
If you're concerned about timing, you can always stop by the baggage claim and pick up your suitcases, then bring them on the ME with you.

etibbetts
01-16-2014, 07:52 AM
The longest we ever waited was about six hours. We finally went down to the baggage center at Pop and pointed out to them which ones were ours and they let us take them (after verifying our ID). I'm not sure if they were short staffed delivering or not, but that was the slowest.

One other thing I didn't realize was that they deliver at all hours. In Nov 2012 we went down and my sister and brother in law flew in a little before 7pm. They delivered their luggage past midnight.

Definetly bring a change of clothes in your carry on.

disneymom15
01-16-2014, 09:20 AM
If you're concerned about timing, you can always stop by the baggage claim and pick up your suitcases, then bring them on the ME with you.

If you do this, do not put the yellow tags on your luggage.

We've been picking up our own luggage on our last few trips. Prior to that, one time our luggage beat us to our resort. Otherwise it generally takes 2 to 3 hours.

mydisneygirls
01-16-2014, 10:07 AM
We used Magical Express once. Our place arrived in MCO at 9:30 and our luggage arrived at the WL around 3....one back didn't arrive until after that.

Why take the chance. I agree with the others -- put the luggage on the bus yourself.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
01-16-2014, 11:06 AM
The one time I used Magical Express, the airlines lost our luggage due to a plane change. So it was the next afternoon before we got ours.

PopPhan
01-16-2014, 02:05 PM
The one time I used Magical Express, the airlines lost our luggage due to a plane change. So it was the next afternoon before we got ours.

That's not one you can put on Magical Express, though. That is the airlines' fault.

Typically, if there is no bad weather in the airport vicinity, your bags will be at the resort within 3 hours of arrival.

The only time I had a longer wait was when, for some unknown reason, my bags were taken to the wrong room. Once I called the main desk, they tracked them down and I had them within half an hour.

To the OP....With only about 2 hours between your expected check-in time and your reservation time, I would not risk it. Bring the clothes you want to change in to with you in a carry-on or do not put the DME yellow tag on your bag and go fetch it yourself at baggage claim.

Belle of the Ball 051411
01-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Another vote for loading your own luggage on the bus.

CaptSmee
01-28-2014, 09:32 AM
It normally takes about 2 hours, but we've had all kinds of variations up to the next day even

Gator
01-28-2014, 11:39 AM
I've only had ME lose my suitcase once. And it was only mine. It was the one time we stayed at a value resort, furthre adding to the rottenness of that trip.

For us, our suitcases arrive always over 3 hours once we've arrived. And that's a bummer, because catching flights from CA means we're landing around 7pm and getting to the resort after 8pm. The last three trips, our bags didn't arrive until after midnight. Something I was not happy about at all.

wdwaggie
01-28-2014, 02:39 PM
I liked DME the one time we used it, used Tiffany Towncar twice before that. It didn't seem any longer on DME than the town car. We stayed at WL, but dropped off at Poly and GF first, then to WL. No complaints on luggage, just wished they showed better videos on the buses. Seems like 10-15 minutes of blank silence then the video starts usually telling you about the same stuff you've seen on the planning DVD. Heck, just show old Disney shorts or even start running a Disney movie.

mom2morgan
01-31-2014, 04:24 PM
I made the mistake of doing it once when we had a fairly late arrival - bags didn't arrive for at least 3 hours so it was nearly midnight. Next time - still the same length of time, but I had packed what I needed for the day in my carry on. My adult daughter just flat out didn't want to wait, so she picked up her own bad and brought it with her on the bus. I think next time I'll do the same - even though you don't have to wait in your room, I'm a bit compulsive and like to get everything unpacked and settled before I can enjoy myself.

EJS-Houston
01-31-2014, 04:44 PM
I've been letting Magical Express handle my baggage for the last 4-5 Disney vacations, and haven't had any problems at all. I haven't really timed them; I just make sure to keep whatever I need the first night with me in my carry-on...then after checking in I hit the parks or Downtown Disney, and when I return, my bags are in my room waiting for me.

Davy Crockett
02-03-2014, 10:16 PM
We've used ME twice over the past few trips and it took longer to get off the plane and down to staging area for ME than the actual time we waited to get on the coach. As you know the lines are cordoned off or staged by resorts / groups of resorts. So we were staged with guests at the Polynesian as we were at the Wilderness lodge. Actual travel time around 35 to 40 minutes then another 10 to 15 for guests to get off at the Poly and get there bags then over to the WL. So on average for our experiences from disembarking the plane to walking in the resort it was around 1 hr 45 mins to 2 hrs. We used a town car service once and to be honest that only saved about 20 or 30 mins. Maybe for some that extra 30 mins is worth the added cost but not for me.