PDA

View Full Version : Using Disney Visa Reward points for bill

yankeesfan123
01-15-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm trying to figure out the best way to use my Disney Visa Rewards to pay for purchases I make during my upcoming trip. In the past, I've only had small amounts of Reward points to use so I typically just used the card whenever I would buy something.

I'm thinking it might be easier to just charge to my account via magic band and use the Reward points to pay for that bill. I already have the Reward Card in my possession. My question presents two options, which do you think is best?

1. Can I use the Reward points up front during check in to create a "credit" already on my account that will just be deducted for each purchase? Is this possible?

2. Should I just pay for the bill at the end using the Reward points? I've heard that you have to go the night before check-out to make sure this can be done properly.

I think option 1 might be easiest, but I want to make sure that I can do it that way.

Thank you!

BrerGnat
01-15-2014, 11:26 AM
We just use the rewards card first, before we start charging things to the room. Treat it like a Disney gift card. We usually get a couple meals out of it before it runs out.

yankeesfan123
01-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the reply! That's how I've done it in the past because our family has always been together.

This time, I am anticipating parts of the group going off and doing their own thing from time to time (mostly me while my wife and in-laws lay by the pool). I know I could just get multiple cards and hand them out individually, but I'm thinking it might just be easier to have the one card with all the points in one place.

We'll see. I have 8 more months to wait so I have plenty of time to come to a decision (unfortunately).

BelleBeauty
01-15-2014, 01:06 PM
When we were there in the past we did option 2. I had the rewards card and knew what it would roughly be covering, so we charged everything to the room and then a few days into the trip (when we had charged over the reward card amount) we went to the front desk and applied the reward card. The remainder was then put on our CC upon check out.

I don't remember the process exactly, but I know it was incredibly easy and painless.

TheVBs
01-15-2014, 01:53 PM
I was just going to ask the exact same question! We will be using our reward dollars to pay for things we charge while we're there. I wasn't sure whether I could do it up front, or would have to wait until we've charged things to the room.

Goofy4TheWorld
01-16-2014, 08:16 AM
I have ALWAYS put the Rewards card balance down as a credit on the room account as soon as I check in. Sometimes the CM seems unsure if it can be done, but I am persistent and it always gets done. No need to waste time standing in line again or risk the system auto-charging your credit card if you meet your credit limit, a credit balance is the way to go for Rewards points.

Zeike
01-17-2014, 04:39 PM
We always use the reward points when the whole party is together. Usually to buy things at the hotel or some gift at the end of our trip for the kids. Still if I had to choose I would pick #1. Have a great trip.

Imalismom
01-18-2014, 08:15 AM
I have done both options with no problems. I have always used the amount up totally with option 1. If I do not think I will use up al the reward points in one trip, I use option 2. I run my daughters college tuition through that card, so my points add up quicker.

AndrewJackson
01-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Have you paid for your vacation package yet? If not, you can apply your rewards card or a gift card to your total due. I just did it online last week for my upcoming March trip.

LVT
01-19-2014, 10:27 PM
I apply the card up front as a room credit. I like the detailed invoices from room charging.

vamaggie
01-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Lat Nov, we had about $500 on the rewards card. Staying at SOG so putting it down to room charge was not an option. I took it the 1st day and got gift cards for both my kids for when we were not all together so they could get something to eat etc. We used the rewards card for all meals and purchases in the parks. Very easy to do.