PDA

View Full Version : Castaway Cay 5K

Fantasia2005
01-14-2014, 02:12 PM
We are cruising on the Disney Wonder October 1st this year and have 2 days at Castaway Cay. I read a few articles about a 5K race that is held on the island. Now, these were older articles so my question is, do they still hold this event on the island? Thanks! :mickey:

susie & perla's mom
01-14-2014, 02:44 PM
I did and was able to complete my first ever 5K in Castaway Cay last November 2013 and is planning to do it again!:walk: So, the answer is YES, they do still have this event.:mickey:

Fantasia2005
01-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Yay! I'm looking forward to it. Do they give out bibs and medals? The articles I read said they used to but wasn't sure about now.

susie & perla's mom
01-14-2014, 02:57 PM
My daughter and I got both - > bib & medal! :thumbsup:

Fantasia2005
01-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Sounds good! Thanks so much!!:mickey:

Yungbuck73
01-20-2014, 04:01 PM
We were just at Castaway Cay Tuesday January 14,2014 and yes they do still do the 5K
To avoid the rush, when u get onboard, go to the Port Adventure desk and reserve your spot. It's free. They give u ur bib then and at the end of the 5K u get ur "medal".
It was lots of fun. Enjoy.

RBrooksC
07-03-2014, 09:30 AM
I've heard different stories about what time the 5K run starts.

Also, what time are the passengers allowed to disembark to enjoy Castaway Cay?

And, how does running this impact the day on the island?

We are hoping to go in Oct 2015 for the Halloween Cruise and I want to run this 5K but I don't want it to impact my time enjoying the island.

TracyL
07-08-2014, 09:48 PM
The 5K is early in the morning, so it does not impact the rest of the day on the island. In fact, you'll be one of the first people ashore!

I got a bib and a medal when I did it, but I have heard of people not getting medals due to supply issues. If for some reason the island doesn't happen to have enough medals to give one to everybody that day, I think they don't give them out. It's still super fun, though, and feels like a great accomplishment! Not to mention a great way to burn off the calories from all the fabulous FOOD!

Nice thing to know about the 5K -- there's a big storage box at the start/finish line where you can stash your stuff, so you don't have to worry about lugging a backpack through the run or about going back onboard to change clothes, grab supplies or whatnot. I wouldn't leave valuables in it, but your towels/hats/sunscreen/flipflops are perfectly safe there.

It is timed but they don't give place awards. I'm a walker rather than a runner, and walkers are welcome. My best time is 45 minutes flat. :)

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-11-2014, 10:49 PM
The 5K is early in the morning, so it does not impact the rest of the day on the island. In fact, you'll be one of the first people ashore!

I got a bib and a medal when I did it, but I have heard of people not getting medals due to supply issues. If for some reason the island doesn't happen to have enough medals to give one to everybody that day, I think they don't give them out. It's still super fun, though, and feels like a great accomplishment! Not to mention a great way to burn off the calories from all the fabulous FOOD!

Nice thing to know about the 5K -- there's a big storage box at the start/finish line where you can stash your stuff, so you don't have to worry about lugging a backpack through the run or about going back onboard to change clothes, grab supplies or whatnot. I wouldn't leave valuables in it, but your towels/hats/sunscreen/flipflops are perfectly safe there.

It is timed but they don't give place awards. I'm a walker rather than a runner, and walkers are welcome. My best time is 45 minutes flat. :)

I was wondering about walkers. My knee can't handle the run, but I can do a 5K walk in about the 45 minute range no problem. :thumbsup:

pamlvt
01-03-2015, 10:10 PM
"We were just at Castaway Cay Tuesday January 14,2014 and yes they do still do the 5K
To avoid the rush, when u get onboard, go to the Port Adventure desk and reserve your spot. It's free. They give u ur bib then and at the end of the 5K u get ur "medal".
It was lots of fun. Enjoy."

Nice to know that you can sign up right as you get onboard! We did it last May 2013. We are set to go again this year in May 2015 after running the Expedition Everest Challenge.

Another thing to consider; we quickly dropped our non-valuables, ie towels, sunscreen etc on beach lounges as the leader walked us by them so that when we were done running we had enough seats together in the area we chose.