PDA

View Full Version : Family Gather Trip - January 5th

Dulcee
01-13-2014, 01:59 PM
This was the first full day of vacation for most of the members of our group. DH and I were up early. DH had taken the top bunk since I'm up sick early most mornings. This was not a good call. He didn't sleep and couldn't stretch out. Tonight he'll need to kick his brother off the queen size pull out so he can get some sleep.

First stop is to see the dogs at Best Friends. We arrive by 8 and the dogs are ecstatic to see us. The dog park at the resort is fantastic. The kids had a blast running through the water feature and our older husky discovered the pool. After 45 minutes of play time they were exhausted and I felt better about leaving them.

We head to the food court at the resort and grab breakfast then we head back to the villa and people are just starting to stir at 9:30! This would be a trend throughout the trip. DH and I are early risers, his family is not. With only MIL awake we opt to head to AK and have everyone meet us there.

At AK we grab coffees then head back to the safari. The line is short despite being almost 10 am. After the Safari they've made it to the park and we opt to meet up at dinosaur before the line gets too long. DH is nervous about me riding pregnant but I opt to go. We wait maybe 20 minutes. After that we have our first fast pass plus for Lion King. These work great and we end up with perfect seats.

These are followed by fast pass pluses for the Safari which again works great. At this point FIL who had been very anti fast pass plus (I don't like to plan far ahead, yada yada yada) admits it was a good idea that I made them.

We then stop for lunch at Yak and Yeti. I'm the tempura shrimp which were good and the table shares an order of the fried wontons. After lunch everyone but me uses their fast pass plus for Everest, I opt to sit out. Following this we do the Tiger trek. I love the bats. I could probably watch them all day.

Last but not least Dh, younger BIL and I hop on Kali River Rapids. DH and I walk off dry. BIL isn't so lucky. We head back to the buses and I begin my epic fight with the disney experience app. I had made fast pass pluses for EPCOT for the next day but plans changed. I need to move them a day forward. I cancel all of them but when I try to set up new ones it tells me that SIL has already used all of hers. I know this isn't possible. I fight the whole bus ride home and eventually give up. This app still has bugs.

We head back to the pool for a bit. Its a little cool for my liking but it feels good to get in the water. We end up getting a cab to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for our Jiko reservation to avoid yesterday's debacle. We arrive a bit early and are surprised to see zebra out after dark on the plains. We also meet a very friendly castmember from South Africa to chat with for a while.

I'm nervous about this reservation. DH and I had sent everyone the menus before making any reservations to get the ok from everyone. Based on FIL's reaction to the price of Ohana's (Despite SIL and BIL picking up the bill last night) I'm now 99% sure he didn't bother to look a them before we booked.

Sure enough FIL is cranky over the prices. Despite this ordering goes relatively smoothly. I often wish my FIL would learn to just bite his tongue. Sigh. DH and I split a beef carapaccio flat bread. DH has the filet and I have the scallops. Both are phenomenal. We finish up with the tea safari dessert.

After this its a bus ride home, DH and I are beat!

yjgirl32
01-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Great report- thanks for sharing.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-14-2014, 08:23 AM
Some people just like to complain, I think its the same in all families...sounds like a good AK though. Thanks for the report

faline
01-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Sounds like you're the one who ends up biting your tongue! My father would have been just as cranky in similar circumstances!!

Despite this, it sounds like a fun day for all of you!!

princessgirls
01-15-2014, 03:50 PM
A good day in spite of having family with different touring and spending styles!

Thanks for sharing!
Julie:mickey:

emerzmom
01-16-2014, 04:53 PM
I discovered Yak and Yeti on one of my trips last year and love it! Your trip sounds really fun!
:tink:
Julie

hauntedmansiongirl
01-20-2014, 02:19 AM
I sympathize with you about your FIL! Thankfully when we went with my in-laws we had the dining plan. Then he was thrilled with the prices and was excited to order expensive things! I can't imagine what it would be like to pay out of pocket- total disaster! You're a real trooper!:mickey: