PDA

View Full Version : So disappointed in Downton Abbey this new season

Katzateer
01-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Anyone else unhappy? I can't stand the way they are developing some of the characters. And last night just made me sick with Anna. Now the entire season she won't be able to shine like her character was starting to do. :(. So tired of Thomas. Am enjoying Edith.

MNNHFLTX
01-13-2014, 09:25 AM
I agree--it's not starting out that great for me, for all of the reasons you mention. That they brought Edna back and seem to be pushing her as a love interest for Tom is also repugnant. And maybe it's just me, but I can't warm up to Rose's character, even now in season 2. I do like Edith too, but am nervous about where her relationship with Gregson is going.

SBETigg
01-13-2014, 10:49 AM
I do like Edith too, but am nervous about where her relationship with Gregson is going.

It's so great to see Edith happy, but you just know heartbreak lies ahead.

I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I think it's the one spoiler I had from the UK viewing. So I'm prepared. Not loving it. But if Bates and Anna remained all happily ever after, there wouldn't be much point in keeping them on. They had too little to do last week.

My problem with this season so far is that they have too many characters/storylines going. In Episode one, I didn't care about Griggs. They could have used that time on someone else. And Molesley. I didn't really want to see him so down and out. If they had left out those storylines, we could have made progress with more focus on characters we care about more.

MNNHFLTX
01-13-2014, 03:47 PM
I just realized I typed season 2 instead season 4.

Yes, Sherri, the storyline on Grigg seemed unnecessary to me too, except to give Mrs. Hughes and Isobel something to do on the show.

SBETigg
01-13-2014, 04:43 PM
I just realized I typed season 2 instead season 4.

Yes, Sherri, the storyline on Grigg seemed unnecessary to me too, except to give Mrs. Hughes and Isobel something to do on the show.

If Isobel was such a bleeding heart, why wouldn't she have just kept Molesley in her service? Or they could have combined those storylines and had them helping Molesley instead of Grigg, a character we barely know or care for.

I do like the new Gillingham fellow. He seems like a good chap. Like you, I can't warm up to Rose and why would Tom suddenly be into Edna? But, another positive, Edith is wearing some gorgeous ensembles this year. I have wardrobe envy.

BriarRose0708
01-13-2014, 05:06 PM
But, another positive, Edith is wearing some gorgeous ensembles this year. I have wardrobe envy.

I thought of you during the premiere, Sherri! Edith's amazing peacock dress looked like something from the Tumblr page OMG that dress. My friends and I all had our mouths on the floor when she walked into the restaurant.

MNNHFLTX
01-13-2014, 11:45 PM
I thought of you during the premiere, Sherri! Edith's amazing peacock dress looked like something from the Tumblr page OMG that dress. My friends and I all had our mouths on the floor when she walked into the restaurant.
Oh yes, she is lookng quite glamorous these days. I love it! What a contrast with Mary's mourning garb.

AgentC
01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Oh yes, she is lookng quite glamorous these days. I love it! What a contrast with Mary's mourning garb.

I loved the dress as well.

I have very mixed feelings about Downtown right now. I still love the actors, the sets, the history and of course , the Dowager.

I am having issues with the plot lines and the writing. Several of the characters are really becoming caricatures to me. I really loved the relationship between Lord and Lady Grantham in the first season and I liked his struggles to know where he belonged in the changing world in the second season. Since then you can pretty much guarantee that he will make the wrong decision in every situation.

SBETigg
01-14-2014, 10:18 AM
I am having issues with the plot lines and the writing. Several of the characters are really becoming caricatures to me. I really loved the relationship between Lord and Lady Grantham in the first season and I liked his struggles to know where he belonged in the changing world in the second season. Since then you can pretty much guarantee that he will make the wrong decision in every situation.

Like Cora! I can't even listen to her speak anymore without wanting to shake her and tell her to buck up, she's a grown woman. Yikes. And Isobel and the Dowager? I still love both characters, but give them storylines other than meddling around. They could become a secret crime-fighting duo or something, at least. :)

AgentC
01-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Like Cora! I can't even listen to her speak anymore without wanting to shake her and tell her to buck up, she's a grown woman. Yikes.

Yes, exactly!

And Isobel and the Dowager? I still love both characters, but give them storylines other than meddling around. They could become a secret crime-fighting duo or something, at least. :)

I would SO watch that! :D

PirateLover
01-14-2014, 10:03 PM
I already watched the whole season. It's definitely not as good as previous seasons. The Anna scene was just awful to watch, and there was lots of shock/outrage across the pond as well.

Melanie
01-15-2014, 10:37 AM
I've liked it so far. Of course, what happened to Anna was horrible, but I just remember that it is a glorified soap opera. :unsure:

Aurora
01-15-2014, 01:52 PM
I've liked it so far. Of course, what happened to Anna was horrible, but I just remember that it is a glorified soap opera. :unsure:

Exactly! I'm just along for the ride. Ups and downs, tears and cheers.

(SLIGHT SPOILERS) I think the Anna storyline is gutsy and takes the characters down a more complicated road, which I appreciate as a viewer. How will she be able to keep it from Bates? How will he find out (of course he will). He hinted at what he learned in prison, so how will the perpetrator get his just desserts without Bates going back to prison?

Of course it's a British show, but I hate that it's not aired at the same time over here. All the whispers about the full season by people who have already seen it bug me, and it's almost impossible not to be aware of the "wait 'til you see" comments. It's too bad.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Just sat down last night and finally watched the premiere episode. Still not sure how I want to watch this season. Seasons 1-2 I was a bit late to the part and watched it all on dvd, and by that time I had season 3 all ready to go on the dvr, so I've been able to watch them at my own pace. This is the first season I've had to decide whether to watch it current or let it build up and then watch.

Anyhow, 1st episode under the belt. I think my biggest complaint is that it is on the verge of becoming just another soap opera. In particular, in practically the same breath that they write out the O'Brien character (which I knew she was one of three leaving the show) they immediately give Thomas another co-conspirator in Edna. I was hoping that dynamic was gone once O'Brien was gone, but it seems like the plotting Thomas and Edna are going to be partners in crime.

Branson's character looks like it could be likeable and developable. I just hope they don't go down that cliche and have him hook up with Mary.

Speaking of Mary, hopefully she is only in a funk in episode one, otherwise I think I'll be using the FF button each time she comes on. That was getting quite tiresome.

Lord Grantham, seems all geared up to make all the wrong financial choices as usual once again this season. Surprisingly, that doesn't bother me too much as it appears to be in good character and probably highly accurate for a person of his age and title.

I was kind of hoping that they would have used last seasons deaths/departures to kind of thin the herd a bit. Imho, Mosely and Isobel should just be gone. He had his part, Mathew is dead, no further need to keep his character. It isn't a crucial one and isn't necessary to the story. Same with Isobel, I keep waiting for them to drop a gargoyle on her head or something. Something about her really annoys me and if all they do is bounce her from one do-gooder scene to another, well, there is the FF button again.

Rose is the one that intrigues me the most right now. Each season has sort of depicted a slightly different era, S1 - turn of the century, S2 - WW1, S3 - start of the industrial revolution and now S4 I suspect will be the glory years of jazz, enlightment and excess leading up to the great depression. Rose seems the perfect vehicle to advance that forward.

The dowager is of course classic.

I wouldn't say they hit a home-run on the season premiere, but I'd still give it a solid B, there is still enough there to keep me hopeful that it will be a good season. So far I've been spoiler free, although I'm getting the gist that something is up with Anna.

SBETigg
01-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Well, as Melanie said, it is pretty much a soap opera anyway. They follow the same dramatic rules, it seems. If Barrow will be there to make trouble, it only makes sense that he has a cohort to bounce ideas off otherwise there would be a lot of dramatic monologues which would slow the plot down.

Branson will not be hooking up with Mary. I see them more as a brother-sister dynamic. I think that's too creepy for even Fellowes to contemplate.

Mary is clearly emerging from funk by the end of ep 1, when she must choose life.

Grantham will probably remain a mess-up. And I like Isobel. They just need to give her something better to do, along with the Dowager. They could bring out the best or worst in each other.

Rose is Fellowes answer to exploring the dangers of youth. He can't really bring Mary or Edith down the same roads because we expect they would know better by now. Enter Rose, folly of youth.

Because it is essentially a period drama soap, something has to happen with Anna. Leaving Anna and Bates to a happily ever after at this point would never do.

So, while I hate some plot developments (Edna, the Anna storyline) I accept that some things have to be done for the purpose of continuing to tell a story. My issue with Ep 1 was the slowness and divided between too many characters. Dramatically, ep 2 was on pace, just not what most people would want to see with beloved characters. Alas, something must happen or why bother? I'm still loving Edith. Not thinking things will go well for her, but happy to see that she has a chance. And thinks will pick up for Mary too. I like the new character introductions. I'm not giving up yet.

Katzateer
01-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Guess that is why I don't watch soap operas. ;). But I am ready to watch it again tonight. After my long working weekend and all the crazies and customers with the flu coming in the pharmacy ------ I need a cup of tea and some downtime.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-27-2014, 11:13 AM
After catching up on this season, including the latest episode, I'm beginning to wonder if DA simply suffers from an over indulgence of characters. I don't dislike this season, the show is wonderfully done, but thru 4 episodes now, there just doesn't seem to be a story line that seems to either 1) stick or 2) interest me.

Isobel -enough already with the do-gooder. I know some like her, but with Mathew gone no need for her. First it was Mosely, now its the gardner, as the Dowager said "your halo must be getting pretty heavy". And it appears we will be subjected the the mysterious case of the missing letter opener for a while.

Mosely - just seems to be Eoyore, pop in, pop out and mope around.

Edna/Tom - I have no idea what that 3 episode story arc was about or what it achieved. I'm assuming its done, but if it was to show Tom doesn't fit in, well there is front page news.

Mary/Gillingham - story arc ended? Not sure the purpose of him, unless it was to bring Mary out of her funk, but it didn't interest me much.

Rose - might be my current favorite, but has taken a backstage of late.

Edith - same as Rose, if she isn't with her guy, pretty much non-existant

Anna/Bates - glad they finally resolved at least part of it, just wonder how much of the season this will still consume. If done right, could make Bates more interesting and relevant.

Downstairs staff - Mrs Padmore is the best, with her being brought into the 20th century kicking and screaming. But Daisy fawning over Alfred and most of the other downstairs story lines haven't done much for me.

Tennants - I do enjoy the historical sense of Lord Grantham and running the estate and the involvement with their tennants and the village. I do hope we see much more of the power triangle of Grantham/Thomas/Mary.

Thomas & America - not sure if that is where his story is going, or if its a plot device by Julian in case the actor doesn't come back and its a way to deal with him instead of killing him off. Would seem strange to not have little Sybil and George not grow up together.

Speaking of America, any idea of when Cora's mother and brother enter the picture?

And speaking of Cora, she's starting to fall into that same category of annoyance as Isobel. Seems of late, most of her seasons take place in bed as Robert walks in with his dressing gown. Maybe she'll move to America to watch over little Sybil.

Anyhow, it just feels like the show could go on a character diet, trim the excess fat and get down to some good story arcs for the principal characters instead of all these secondary stories that seem to go nowhere.

PirateLover
01-27-2014, 10:04 PM
I totally agree. Too many stories and not enough meat to them. I still enjoy the show but just felt the writing was weak this season. We won't see Cora's mother and brother until the final episode.

Melanie
01-27-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm enjoying as much as I ever have in the past.

TheDuckRocks
01-28-2014, 01:21 PM
I'm still enjoying DA, but I do have to admit that a lot of the story line leaves me wondering for what purpose? I sure do hope they are going to pull all these lose ends together somehow.

MNNHFLTX
01-28-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm still enjoying DA, but I do have to admit that a lot of the story line leaves me wondering for what purpose? I sure do hope they are going to pull all these lose ends together somehow.
I'm sure they will with some of them, but the stuff with Molesley and Grigg is/was just filler material, I think. The Edna/Tom and Mary/Gillingham storylines I wonder about myself.

Melanie
02-04-2014, 07:18 AM
I really enjoyed this most recent episode. The one spoiler I accidentally saw right as the season was starting was the Edith one, so glad that is out of the way. Tom, Mary, Isobel in the nursery - tears! I'm really liking Tom and Isobel's relationship this season.

AgentC
02-04-2014, 07:49 AM
I enjoyed the last episode as well. If this makes sense, I think I really enjoy the "quieter" episodes that focus on the character rather than the splashier night time soap types.

Melanie
02-04-2014, 08:00 AM
I enjoyed the last episode as well. If this makes sense, I think I really enjoy the "quieter" episodes that focus on the character rather than the splashier night time soap types.

I get exactly what you're saying. It was more quiet, just everyday life.

BriarRose0708
02-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Just watched it on lunch and I'm still really enjoying the spats between the Dowager and Isobel. Last week when Edie visited the Dr. office kind of gave the spoiler away for me, and it will be interesting to see how that storyline plays out. I loved the scene in the nursery, so touching!

MNNHFLTX
02-04-2014, 03:18 PM
I enjoyed this last episode too. The twist in Edith's storyline was one I had heard about before, but I think fairly predictable, given what's been going on this season. But I can't figure Rose out. Is she truly that naive about how her relationship with Jack will be perceived or is deliberately rebelling?

SBETigg
02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
But I can't figure Rose out. Is she truly that naive about how her relationship with Jack will be perceived or is deliberately rebelling?

I had the same issue with Rose. I don't see her as being that much of a rebel or a progressive thinker, so I think we have to go with clueless. But to believe her that clueless is quite a leap. Unless we're just that provincial. ;)

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-05-2014, 10:00 AM
I like Rose. Keep in mind I believe she is an only child being raised in London, which is quite a bit different than being raised in the York/Yorkshire area that Downton portrays.

I think its a bit being modern and a bit being rebellious, which is why ma ma shipped her off to Downtown. Last season she was clubbing quite a bit and that got her in trouble. I don't think its her necessarily being clueless, just showing the youth and tolerance of a new generation emerging post WWI.

Edith's story line seems to be fairly predictable. I don't know if you could read it in real time or not, but I paused the dvr when she was opening her letter and you could read most of it. Just not real crazy with what they are doing with her character, which is pretty much nothing.

I did laugh several times this last episode. I love Carson and the Dowager was in prime form. Looks like they wrapped up Alfred and hopefully put the Mosely in/out arc to rest. Not crazy about the Anna/Bates story line. If they are going to draw it out all season, not a big fan.

SBETigg
02-05-2014, 12:24 PM
]
I think its a bit being modern and a bit being rebellious, which is why ma ma shipped her off to Downtown. Last season she was clubbing quite a bit and that got her in trouble. I don't think its her necessarily being clueless, just showing the youth and tolerance of a new generation emerging post WWI.

Even raised in London, she was raised with wealth and privilege, and the new generation wasn't that tolerant yet. But we're not supposed to read too much into it. It's fiction. But still, the character isn't dazzling me with her brilliance. It's surprising that Mary even turned and left Rose alone with a man, any man, wouldn't have happened. One of Violet's quips would easily explain it all away for us, though.;)

Katzateer
02-05-2014, 12:29 PM
I am enjoying the season a little more but not as much as I had hoped. The first couple seasons were so good and now I am not that excited about future episodes. But still looking forward to seeing the costumes at Wintertur in PA this spring!:cloud9: the costumes on the show are so beautiful!

Carol
02-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Still loving the show as much as ever. What do I know? I still watch General Hospital.

Not a fan of Edith. I could care less about her storyline. I find her very fake and unlikible. I just don't care.

MNNHFLTX
02-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Still loving the show as much as ever. What do I know? I still watch General Hospital.

Not a fan of Edith. I could care less about her storyline. I find her very fake and unlikible. I just don't care.

Interesting. In past episodes I could care less about Mary, for all the reasons you mention about Edith. She just always seemed so stiff and snotty. However, I am starting to warm to her this season, especially in her scenes with her son. I think I started liking Edith more after she was left at the alter. While Cora and Mary would always take breakfast in bed, Edith (as the spinster sister) still came down for breakfast and didn't wallow in self-pity. But sheesh, how unlucky In love can one person be?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Edith (as the spinster sister) still came down for breakfast and didn't wallow in self-pity. But sheesh, how unlucky In love can one person be?

Someone gave me the Downton Abbey desk calendar for Christmas. The other day was a screen shot of Edith and Mary with the quote:

Edith (to Mary): "Let another one slip of the hook?"

Mary "At least I'm not fishing with no bait"

Poor Edith, unlucky in love and a boring/predictable story arc to boot. Hopefully her story will get better.

Cora is actually the most irritating character for me right now (surpassing Isobelle). She comes off as a cross between Mary Poppins-Martha Stewart-Mrs. Cleaver. Just too dang happy all the time and this aw shucks look she always gets makes me want to throw something at the tv.

SBETigg
02-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Cora is actually the most irritating character for me right now (surpassing Isobelle). She comes off as a cross between Mary Poppins-Martha Stewart-Mrs. Cleaver. Just too dang happy all the time and this aw shucks look she always gets makes me want to throw something at the tv.

Agreed. I'm beginning to hope they give Cora a storyline in which we discover she's secretly addicted to sedatives or something. Too happy, too spaced out. Married to Robert with the girls all grown up, we would hardly blame her.

Melanie
02-06-2014, 05:55 PM
While Cora and Mary would always take breakfast in bed, Edith (as the spinster sister) still came down for breakfast and didn't wallow in self-pity.

I thought that was a 'married woman' thing. Mary ate downstairs as well until she married Matthew.

MNNHFLTX
02-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Agreed. I'm beginning to hope they give Cora a storyline in which we discover she's secretly addicted to sedatives or something. She can be addicted to laudanum. Well, theoretically the time frame of the show is approaching the end of the era where laudanum was in vogue, but Cora could have been partaking for years. She does always seem to have her happy face on. ;)

TheDuckRocks
02-07-2014, 09:06 AM
I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks Cora is a bit happily removed from reality. Maybe she is the original Stepford wife!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-24-2014, 12:37 PM
I guess that if I were packaging the DVD set for S4, that just concluded last night, that I'd label it "S4 - The Season that went nowhere". I guess that wouldn't sell as many sets, but that's the way the season felt to me.

I guess if you haven't seen the finale or aren't caught up yet, there be spoilers to follow.

Too many unresolved story lines:
-Bates, did he kill Green? I think we are meant to think that he did, and my guess is that this question will remain unanswered.
-Gregson, alive or dead? Very few answers to his whereabouts much less if he is still alive or dead or if anyone really cares.
-Mary's suitors; not that I much care about this, but apparently Mary will have a long break to consider which of her two lead suitors will win. I don't know the exact time frame, but I'm thinking that its been at least 1 year if not 1 1/2 years now since Mathew's death.
-Baxter, what is/was her secret that Barrow had on her.

Characters in search of a story arc:
-Barrow; he has to be the lead in this category, about all he did this season was to pop in occassionally and bully Baxter, beyond that, I have no idea what he did or what his purpose was.
-Branson; I guess technically he had one, but it was all over the place, first Edna trying to trap him, then "I'm going to America (what happened), now I'm political again, then Miss Bunting. About the only interesting part to his season was when he was acting as agent for Downton.
-Cora, well, Cora is Cora and really seems to serve no purpose.
-Editha, not sure if this is a character in search of a story arc, or just one that we care about. The 8 month flash forward allowed her to go have the child on the continent but she may have surpassed Mosely on the whoa is me spectrometer. Now that the child is back at Downton and to be raised by the tenant, you know that will come back into play sooner rather than later.
-Daisy, not sure why anyone thinks we need to follow her love life. A decent character, but they basically ruined her S4 with Alfred/Ivy/James love square.

What this season really felt like was filler. I believe that the cast originally signed 3 year contracts and it feels like show runner Julian Fellows kind of had a 3 season plan laid out. With Mathew/Sybil/Obrien all leaving and the show going on, it didn't seem like this season was well thought out. The shows were all very well done and I enjoyed them, but the season just never really went anywhere, took the characters deeper or offered much of anything new, just feels like a temporary bridge to get us to season 5.

I did like Cora's brother, Harold Levinson, and hope that somehow he could be a returning player, but that doesn't appear likely.

I'm assuming another 10 month wait to find out what happens next.

PirateLover
02-24-2014, 01:16 PM
:ditto: You've summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Aurora
02-24-2014, 03:15 PM
:ditto: You've summed up my thoughts perfectly.

:ditto: :ditto:

My vote for best going-nowhere character in Season 4: Barrow.

Barrow to Baxter: You know why you're here. To tell me things. [Baxter looks chagrined but resigned.]

Next Episode
[Barrow pops in] Got any stories? [Baxter looks chagrined; Barrow pops out]

Next Episode
Daisy to Baxter: Thomas wants stories later. [Baxter looks chagrined; Barrow assumed to look smug at Downton]

Next Episode
Barrow to Baxter: Got anything to tell me? [Baxter looks ... oh you know.]

And one of my favorite eye-roll lines from Season 4 was the teacher Bunting saying to Tom: "You've been avoiding me!" Really???? Practically every time we see Tom he's bumping into her!