PDA

View Full Version : Yak & Yeti water

The Dad
01-10-2014, 09:26 PM
This past December my family and I had an opportunity to visit the Yak and Yeti restaurant, at the Animal Kingdom (for lunch).
The atmosphere was intriguing, and the service and food was pretty good as well. The water, however, was beyond belief. The worst I have ever experienced! I mean drinking from the Ganges during laundry day would have been better! I was absolutely amazed that Disney would serve up swill like this....has it always been this way? Astonishing!
Brian

Polynesian Dweller
01-11-2014, 12:15 AM
This past December my family and I had an opportunity to visit the Yak and Yeti restaurant, at the Animal Kingdom (for lunch).
The atmosphere was intriguing, and the service and food was pretty good as well. The water, however, was beyond belief. The worst I have ever experienced! I mean drinking from the Ganges during laundry day would have been better! I was absolutely amazed that Disney would serve up swill like this....has it always been this way? Astonishing!
Brian

Can't comment on the water because I haven't been to this restaurant recently (was ok a couple of years ago) but let's take the blame off Disney on this one. The restaurant is owned and operated by Landry's not Disney so it isn't Disney serving up swill.

disneymom15
01-11-2014, 09:32 AM
We ate there in September and the water was fine.

Disney4us2
01-11-2014, 09:58 AM
We have been there quite a few times. I am a big wate drinker and never found a problem with it.

Did you complain about it your server? I would have. Maybe something could have been done, bringing you something else to drink. Sorry it was less than stellar for you.

The Dad
01-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Didn't really complain about it (just ordered some bottled water), however, I did mention it to our waiter. He said that "all the water in the AK usually tasted like that". I sure didn't notice it anywhere else. Other than that we had a very enjoyable lunch.
B

DizneyFreak2002
01-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Didn't really complain about it (just ordered some bottled water), however, I did mention it to our waiter. He said that "all the water in the AK usually tasted like that". I sure didn't notice it anywhere else. Other than that we had a very enjoyable lunch.
B

Water from the tap tasted terrible or the bottled water? If from the tap, Florida water tastes terrible in general... Not just on Disney property, but pretty much everywhere... I never drink water from the tap when in Florida... Always bottled water for me...

SBETigg
01-11-2014, 03:44 PM
Water from the tap tasted terrible or the bottled water? If from the tap, Florida water tastes terrible in general... Not just on Disney property, but pretty much everywhere... I never drink water from the tap when in Florida... Always bottled water for me...

Arguably, Florida does not have very good tasting drinking water. I agree. It's not just Disney. Though perhaps there was something going on at Yak and Yeti that made it especially distasteful above and beyond even Florida's norms. Did you taste from other glasses? Was it a table-wide assessment? Wondering if maybe you had a glass that was not rinsed enough, or something odd and unusual like that.

PETE FROM NYC
01-12-2014, 04:03 PM
In past years, the tap water was half way decent. But our last visit, BLT, 9/12, the water tasted terrible. Next trip, I will be bringing a Brita pitcher.

VacationDisney
01-12-2014, 04:22 PM
We had ordered iced tea at Yaki & Yeti and it was horrible. We ended up ordering a coke which has a funny taste to it as well but not as bad as the tea:confused:

DizneyRox
01-13-2014, 06:52 AM
It's the tap water. I stopped drinking fountain drinks at WDW long ago. The tap water is used in the soda machines, etc. Bottled water/soda uses filtered water for consistency, etc.

Also as mentioned, Yak and Yaks isn't Disney. But they are using the same water as the rest of the area.

Mendelson
01-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Agreed! It made me want to yak and yet I continued drinking it.

(Anyone? Anyone?)

The only place you'll find in WDW - IMO - where the water isn't awful is Starbucks, because they triple filter water in their stores (wherever the store is) to get it as pure tasting as possible.

Johnno52
01-13-2014, 09:45 AM
We had the same experience at the Grand Floridian Cafe a few years ago. The lemonade tasted like swamp water. I haven't noticed it anywhere for a while. Anything ordered this trip is also fine. It must be fazes the water filtration goes through?

MargaretMessler
01-13-2014, 10:42 AM

Very true. Some people don't have an issue with it, but I have never been able to drink the tap water anyplace in Florida without adding flavoring packets (crystal light, propel, etc.) to it. Buying just one bottle a day (or bringing a refillable from home) and then using those saves a lot of money.

AgentC
01-13-2014, 01:32 PM
I ate at the Yaki and the Yeti for the first time last week and the water there definitely tasted worse than any other place I ate.

As qualifiers
- I almost exlusively drink water or water with lemon
-I drank water at multiple locations at WDW from Wed- Sun
-I live in FL (originally from MA) and the water does have a different taste. I prefer bottle or filtered water but can drink tap if I have to.

The Yak and Yeti was the only location where I stopped drinking the water and asked for a bottle of soda.

The Dad
01-13-2014, 07:34 PM

The bottled water that we subsequently ordered was fine. I'm familiar with Florida tap water and would agree that it is marginal at best. However, the "tap water" they initially served was truly, beyond the pale, AWFUL. No huge issue for us, but amazing that any restaurant would actually serve this to their patrons. What could they possibly be thinking with?

DonaldDuckUSA
01-14-2014, 01:52 PM
The sake is a great alternative. ;) :secret:

The Dad
01-14-2014, 09:07 PM
The sake is a great alternative. ;) :secret:

A great point (with which I concur). An excellent Junmai Dai Ginjo would have been great, but not at lunch....it would have slowed me down...I would recommend the sake flight at Tokyo Dining for dinner for those who are on a sake quest.

SBETigg
01-14-2014, 10:06 PM
A great point (with which I concur). An excellent Junmai Dai Ginjo would have been great, but not at lunch....it would have slowed me down...I would recommend the sake flight at Tokyo Dining for dinner for those who are on a sake quest.

They also have sake tastings and tasting flights at the Mitsukoshi store in the Japan Pavilion, which can be fun if you're making your way around the World.