PDA

View Full Version : Question about POR rooms?

BJSforVols
01-08-2014, 10:55 AM
We are a family of 5 planning a 2014 trip from 10/11 through 10/19. In the past, we have stayed at the Beach Club but are considering POR this time around. Do all room areas offer rooms for 5, or are these rooms only in Alligator Bayou? Which buildings are considered Preferred rooms if we decided to go with a preferred room? How does the timing for getting to all the parks compare from POR to getting to the parks from the BC?

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-08-2014, 11:36 AM
We've stayed at POR twice, and have quite enjoyed it each time.

The rooms that sleep 5 are the ones in the Bayou, since they have the "extra" bed. As you probably know, the "extra" bed isn't huge, but is a good fit for a smaller child.

The preferred locations are buildings 14, 15, 28 and 27. When we stayed in the Bayou, it was in building 18, and it was perfect. The main building and bus stop just a short walk away, and a quiet pool right behind us.

The only challenge with transportation times is that POR has 4 stops, and (not always, but often) you'll have to go to all 4 of them before heading out to the park. Not a huge deal, but can add a few minutes to a trip.

BJSforVols
01-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the response. Do you know if they will grant building requests? If they do not guarantee building requests, how likely are you to get a building request in October? I don't mind paying for the preferred rooms, but it seems I would prefer buildings 16 or 18 over buildings 27 & 28. I'd hate to pay for a preferred room and end up in building 27 or 28. If I could be guaranteed a room in building 14 or 15 by paying for the preferred room, it would persuade me to go for the preferred room rate.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the response. Do you know if they will grant building requests? If they do not guarantee building requests, how likely are you to get a building request in October? I don't mind paying for the preferred rooms, but it seems I would prefer buildings 16 or 18 over buildings 27 & 28. I'd hate to pay for a preferred room and end up in building 27 or 28. If I could be guaranteed a room in building 14 or 15 by paying for the preferred room, it would persuade me to go for the preferred room rate.

Because we are a family of 5, and our limited budget doesn't allow for the Deluxe option, our last two stays were at POR-AB section. In both cases my reservation was for the basic standard room. However, in my booking I had Kathy at MJ and then again myself about a week before leaving fax the resort, a request for a specific building. In both instances my request was honored without having to pay the preferred upcharge. Now, we went the week after Thanksgiving, which is generally lower value time, so probably easier to get the upgrade.

I dont' think I'd ever pay for the upgrade, but it never hurts to ask when booking your package.

With the bus system, POR does I think still, at least at times, share the bus routes with POR-FQ, so sometimes when a bus comes through it can be already full, especially if you are at one of the other stops other than the main one.

All in all, we have really enjoyed our stays at POR.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Sorry ... I just noticed I mis-typed... the preferred building are #14, 15, 18 and 27. So, they are all quite close.

You could request 14 or 15, and I know even 18 felt close ... and if you're planning to use the facilities in the Main building, it really does make a difference to be closer.

BJSforVols
01-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Sorry ... I just noticed I mis-typed... the preferred building are #14, 15, 18 and 27. So, they are all quite close.

You could request 14 or 15, and I know even 18 felt close ... and if you're planning to use the facilities in the Main building, it really does make a difference to be closer.

Okay. That makes more sense when you look at the resort map. I would be happy with 18 as well. I didn't include it earlier since you had me thinking it wasn't a "preferred" building. Thanks for the help. I think preferred is the way we want to go even though I see many say the preferred rooms aren't worth it. My wife and I don't mind walking, but our DS (& years at the time of the trip) would not do well with a long walk after being in the parks all day.