PDA

View Full Version : Animal kingdom lodge

Prudence
01-07-2014, 02:59 PM
If we get a standard room is it still a good experience? I'm guessing you can animal watch from other places in the lodge.

EJS-Houston
01-07-2014, 03:24 PM
You certainly can, and many prefer it. The one time I stayed there we had a Savannah View Room, and I thought it was well worth the money...but I would say the majority of folks who post here seem to feel that they're better off saving money with a standard room and just using the many public viewing stations of the Savannahs.

mickclub1955
01-07-2014, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't stay here without a savannah view. I wouldn't go on an Alaskan Cruise without my own private balcony either. But that's just me.;)

steamboat willy
01-07-2014, 03:36 PM
As you walk to elevators, depending the floor there are outdoor areas with balconies or very large windows for viewing. When you go out by the pool, the borders around this area touches the borders of the animal habitates. When you go out the back entrance of the Main Lodge where you check-in, it opens up directly to the main Savannah. We had a pool view, but still viewed lots and lots of free rooming animals. Make sure to walk left from the pool past one of the hot tubs and get a pair of "night vision" binoculars. It's amazing how close the animals are and you can't see without the glasses. There is a lot of night feeding and eating. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps! Enjoy.:flamingo::deer2::elephant::paw::paw:

VacationDisney
01-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Don't think you will be disappointed . You can walk around the resort and see the animals at the viewing areas:mickey:

Save $$$$

SugarMagnolia
01-07-2014, 04:01 PM
We paid the (very) few extra dollars and got the pool view room (instead of standard). It was close to everything (lobby, bus stop, etc.) and it had beautiful scenery. And yes, just walking through the hotel, you can see all the animals!

Prudence
01-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks everyone.

Fastpasssteve
01-11-2014, 02:16 AM
I am not a morning person, so the idea of a giraffe looking in my balcony window doesn't work for me. I got a pool view room which was lovely and conveniently situated.

When I was ready to commune with nature, there were many places throughout the hotel to view the animals, including the big rock outcropping on the back of the lobby! It was delightful. Now, if I could have gotten a monkey to do my ironing, I might have considered the pricier room. :iron:

why4k
01-11-2014, 09:59 AM
I agree with SugarMagnolia. The slight upcharge for the pool view was worth it for us. Very close to everything. Especially if you use the refillable mugs. I could not justify the cost of Savanah view, as we spend very little time in our room.

disney obsessed
01-11-2014, 12:13 PM
I am never disappointed with my experiences at AKL. It is my favorite and I am willing to go for any opportunity.:thumbsup:

BugeyedMuggy
01-12-2014, 08:59 AM
We have been to AKL many times and have had a view of the animals from our balcony every time with the exception of the pool view we paid extra for. One of the choices when doing online check in in May 2013 was an animal view. We checked that and nothing else. There was a pole obstruction but for the much lower price it was easy to move the chair on the balcony.

#1donaldfan
01-14-2014, 12:04 PM
You can view the animals from several vantage points. I love the Savannah view room, but honestly after a couple of mornings of it I seldom used the balcony. I'm sure any room at the AKL would be incredible !!:thumbsup:

Gator
01-14-2014, 07:35 PM
We stayed at a "value" room at Kidani Village and we loved it. The decor was very nice, we got to see the animals every morning as we walked down the hall to the bus stop. Do I think a savanah room is better? Yes. But it wasn't $100/night better for 8 nights. We loved the design of the room, the pool, and the food choices there. Definitely fine to take the economical route.

ls1jt
02-10-2014, 04:17 PM
I have the savannah view room booked for April. Any floor or area I should try to request? I kind of got hosed at the WL DVC and had the long walk to the end of the hall each time.

I am not picky, just curious if anybody has any preferences... Thanks!

#1donaldfan
02-11-2014, 12:02 PM
I have the savannah view room booked for April. Any floor or area I should try to request? I kind of got hosed at the WL DVC and had the long walk to the end of the hall each time.

I am not picky, just curious if anybody has any preferences... Thanks!

I like the second floor savanah views. I'm not sure how good a request will do you, but it never hurts to try. Last year we had one of those incredibly long treks down the hall to our room. It was not terrible, but LOOOONG !!! :mickey:

mom2morgan
02-15-2014, 07:23 PM
I'd say any room is a good room - but the "rumour" is also that AKL has the greatest chance out of all the resorts of upgrading you. First, the way it is designed, it has a LOT of savannah view rooms, so there is a higher chance of one being available. Second, if they have one available they'd sure like to get you hooked on it so you are willing to pay for it next time ;-) I've NEVER been upgraded anywhere at Disney before or since, but sure enough when we went to AKL last Septmber we had booked a pool view with bunk beds and got upgraded to a savannah view with bunk beds. it was awesome and I had the BEST evening on the balcony with a couple glasses of wine watching the giraffes gracelfully stroll about. I wouldn't choose to pay for that view though! Also - I made sure to tell them it was our 20th Anniversary because I thought that might increase our chances, but it turns out that fact made no difference. It was entirely because "our room wasn't ready yet". When I asked if it was because of our anniversary she looked surprised and said "Oh, no - but that's a nice conincidence!".
ps - to the poster who asked about rooms/floors - we were a long way from the lobby but it wasn't that big a deal - but definitely ask for the 3rd floor if you can! Higher up you feel too far removed, and lower down you don't get quite the same "scope".