PDA

View Full Version : Packing Perishables

KAT1811
01-05-2014, 12:46 PM
We are staying at Old Key West in a 2BR and I am planning on packing an extra suitcase with some of our favorite breakfast foods and snacks. We are placing a small [grocery] order with milk, eggs, juice, water bottles and the like. But. . . I was thinking about packing a few items from home that require some degree of refrigeration. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so how did it work out and what did you do to keep it cold? I was thinking of packing our favorite hummus, cream cheese spreads, etc. Nothing highly perishable that I think would be a big issue. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. We are arriving around 10:30am and plan on spending the day in the parks before unpacking. We arrive on Monday and since we have a very early start (we have to be at the airport at 5:30am) I don't anticipate a very late day in the parks.

JerseyDad
01-05-2014, 01:23 PM
....I'd be concerned with anything that had meat or dairy proteins. The hummus is not something I'd be too concerned with.

....is there a way to pack it in a foam food shipping cooler and get some dry ice to cool it? In general, you need about 5lbs of dry ice to keep 5 lbs of food cooled for 12 hrs ...or 8 lbs ice for 24 hrs.

....that might work.

g8rgirl29
01-05-2014, 08:44 PM
We once packed some frozen snacks (oatmeal fruit bar snacks) we had made in advance in our suitcase in a soft cooler with ice packs that we would use in the park. It went well, however it wasn't anything that had to be refrigerated. We just froze them to keep them from being a squished crumbled mess.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-05-2014, 08:57 PM
I'd just order more items once you're at Disney.

Strollers and Groceries (https://www.strollersandgroceries.com/) is an INTERCOT sponsor, and will have all of the breakfast items you're looking for, without the worry of keeping things cool.

Even if all goes well with the flight, I'm not sure I'd trust Disney 100% to keep everything cool until you get settled in the villa.