PDA

View Full Version : Sink in with the toilet

Prudence
01-01-2014, 01:06 PM
This is weird question, but my husband was disgusted with the setup at the riverside resort where the sinks were outside and separate from the toilet/shower area. He only wants to go back if I can guarantee him a room with a sink behind the door with toilet. He finds it gross to open the door without having washed hands and finds the curtain between sinks and beds doesn't offer enough privacy for getting ready. Thanks.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-01-2014, 01:39 PM
:welcome: Welcome to Intercot.

On the bathroom issue: the bad news is most of the rooms in the resorts are set up this way so there's not going to be a lot of choices.

The good news is I know for sure the cabins have a full bathroom with shower/tub, toilet and sink all in one room with a real door for privacy.

I am also thinking the Contemporary has a setup with the sinks in the same area as the toilet but maybe someone else can confirm this.

brownie
01-01-2014, 01:54 PM
:welcome:

Welcome to INTERCOT!

You're going to find sinks separate at most of the resorts I believe. I think Coronado Springs has doors/a panel instead of a curtain.

As for the bathroom door, maybe consider bringing disposable gloves or Clorox wipes. You could also use a towel or washcloth on the door handle. Or just wash your hands every time you use the door.

VWL Mom
01-01-2014, 02:36 PM
:welcome: to Intercot

The Poly has everything located in the bathroom as do the family suites at AoA and ASMusic and the villas.

Having the sink separate is not limited to Disney, many hotel rooms re set up that way.

Prudence
01-01-2014, 03:10 PM
What resort are you referring to when you say "villas"? Thanks

kakn7294
01-01-2014, 03:10 PM
The studio suite at OKW had a sink in the bathroom as well. Most resorts are set up like POR though. I actually prefer it with the sinks outside. I never thought of the "germ" issue with dirty hands after using the potty. He could always wash his hands in the tub or take a bottle of hand sanitizer to leave in the toilet area.

VWL Mom
01-01-2014, 03:23 PM
What resort are you referring to when you say "villas"? Thanks

The villas are located at Bay Lake Tower, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, and Animal Kingdom Kidani. They offer studios, 1 bedroom, and 2 bedroom accommodations.

Prudence
01-01-2014, 03:26 PM
The studio suite at OKW had a sink in the bathroom as well. Most resorts are set up like POR though. I actually prefer it with the sinks outside. I never thought of the "germ" issue with dirty hands after using the potty. He could always wash his hands in the tub or take a bottle of hand sanitizer to leave in the toilet area.

It's more the thought of what everyone else is doing. Have to admit I find it unpleasant too, though not a deal breaker like he sees it.

buzznwoodysmom
01-01-2014, 03:44 PM
It's more the thought of what everyone else is doing. Have to admit I find it unpleasant too, though not a deal breaker like he sees it.

Honestly, if you really stop and think about it what do you think happens in the parks? I am sure there are tons of people who don't wash after using the restroom and then their unwashed hands can end up anywhere from attraction queue railings to the fast food napkin dispensers. As disgusting as it sounds what you are talking about happens all over the parks (and not just in Disney for that matter), definitely not just limited to your resort room. A tub of Clorox wipes could be left in the toilet/tub area for use. You can also wipe down all areas that concern you with Clorox or Lysol wipes upon checking in.

We travel often and the set up Disney uses in most of their hotels can be found at a lot of other hotel chains. In my opinion it actually makes sharing one bathroom among 4 people more pleasant. We also found the curtain to provide sufficient privacy when getting dressed, but CSR has an actual door divider that might make your hubby feel better.

Prudence
01-01-2014, 03:48 PM
We found the curtain to be annoying since he gets up so much earlier than us. Hard to get ready quietly. But, just might be an annoyance we have to put up with if most moderate resorts are set up the same. Will look into the new suites, but likely just 3 of us going, so not worth getting a suite. Thanks everyone.

1DisneyNut
01-01-2014, 03:49 PM
A bit of a germophobe huh? lol

I don't see how this is really any different than how most new homes have a small toilet room with a door inside the bathroom. Same thing...you have to use the door knob to open the door, get out of the toilet closet and to the sink.

Simple solution......use toilet paper to open the door if you are paranoid about germs.

I personally prefer them this way because it increases the throughput efficiency when the family is getting ready all at the same time (one person taking a shower while another is doing hair, shaving, etc rather than one at a time).

Prudence
01-01-2014, 03:55 PM
A bit of a germophobe huh? lol

I don't see how this is really any different than how most new homes have a small toilet room with a door inside the bathroom. Same thing...you have to use the door knob to open the door, get out of the toilet closet and to the sink.

Simple solution......use toilet paper to open the door if you are paranoid about germs.

Honestly, We wouldn't buy a new home with that set up or model our bathrooms that way ;). That would be a deal killer for us.

Prudence
01-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Are villas more expensive than regular rooms?

1DisneyNut
01-01-2014, 04:11 PM
Honestly, We wouldn't buy a new home with that set up or model our bathrooms that way ;). That would be a deal killer for us.

That is understandable. Everyone has their preferences. I was just pointing out that the majority of new homes of above average size are set up that way......it is the trend now. Not everyone will like it though.

Are villas more expensive than regular rooms?
Yes, usually significantly more but the pricing depends upon the resort. You could go to the WDW reservation site and do some pricing for comparison.

marlyn
01-01-2014, 04:23 PM
If you actually think about the amount of germs that go airborne with the single flush of a toilet, you will actually prefer to have the sink (and your toothbrushes) separated by a door from the toilet. Look it up, show your husband and he may decide that having the toilet separate is actually a pretty good idea......

Prudence
01-01-2014, 04:26 PM
If you actually think about the amount of germs that go airborne with the single flush of a toilet, you will actually prefer to have the sink (and your toothbrushes) separated by a door from the toilet. Look it up, show your husband and he may decide that having the toilet separate is actually a pretty good idea......

True. Our set up at home is ideal for him. sink in the bathroom for washing and a sink outside the room for brushing teeth :)

joonyer
01-01-2014, 05:58 PM
A true germaphobe would never be caught "dead" visiting a theme park in the first place. The handrails in the attractions are covered with far more germs than resort bathrooms. You are much less likely to catch something in the resort bathroom than going anywhere in the parks.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-01-2014, 06:25 PM
I'd never really thought of this at all. I've always focused on the practicality of being able to have more people "doing things" at the same time ...

Prudence
01-01-2014, 06:46 PM
In regards to the curtain issue, by any chance are the sinks separated by a door (rather than a curtain) in the standard rooms of animal kingdom lodge?

NJGIRL
01-01-2014, 07:01 PM
If I remember correctly, it's been a while, the toilet / shower has a door....and the sink has nothing but the wall (no door or curtain).

CSR does have a door in the sink area.....IMO this makes more noise with the opening and closing every time you leave the area.

Prudence
01-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'll have to work on my husband to set this quirk aside since their won't be anything to his liking that we can afford from the sounds of it.

Prudence
01-01-2014, 08:10 PM
*there

buzznwoodysmom
01-01-2014, 08:14 PM

I was just thinking the same thing. Lol

Hoping not to offend anyone, but I find most of the time when I hear people complain about germs I often find that they overlook all sorts of other instances that are equally as germ filled! Worrying about germs in your resort room because of the bathroom set up seems odd to me when you think about the amount of germs you will encounter everywhere else during a Disney vacation. But that's just me! ;)

buzznwoodysmom
01-01-2014, 08:18 PM
True. Our set up at home is ideal for him. sink in the bathroom for washing and a sink outside the room for brushing teeth :)

Just incase you are ever interested in the Universal resorts, Hard Rock Hotel is set up to your husband's liking. There is a sink in the toilet/tub area, as well as a second sink in the "vanity" area just outside the toilet/tub room.

buzznwoodysmom
01-01-2014, 08:24 PM
In regards to the curtain issue, by any chance are the sinks separated by a door (rather than a curtain) in the standard rooms of animal kingdom lodge?

Many of the deluxe resorts, including AKL, have a similar set up. The sink area has no curtain or door to separate it from the rest of the room. However, the way the rooms are layed out the opening doesn't face the room. Rather it faces a small hall, "foyer" type area. There is usually a closet and in some rooms the refrigerator is located across the small "hall" from the sink area.

I am sure a goggle search could help you find some of the Disney resort floor plans. Good luck finding something that makes your family more comfortable.

Mrs Bus Driver
01-02-2014, 05:37 AM
If you go to the Disney website and to resorts you can look at actual pictures of the rooms. Also do a search for disney websites Allears is one of my favorites with lots of pictures of resorts, rooms and they even have floor plans. As for the villas you could look into renting points, this may or may not be in your price range but if your like me you'll want to check out all possibilities. :mickey:

ginny57
01-02-2014, 08:37 AM
Sadly the location of the sink may not matter since not everyone washes their hands regardless of sink location.

I'd get had wipes to keep by the potty or use the tub.

Good luck!

BrerGnat
01-02-2014, 03:14 PM
The Art of Animation family suites have a master bathroom that has everything in the bathroom, with a door. Shower, toilet, and sinks are all in there. There is a second bathroom where the sinks is separate from the tub and toilet.

MNNHFLTX
01-02-2014, 03:53 PM

That is the trick I would also use to deal with the situation. That's what I do when using a public restroom. In fact, in public restrooms you can usually tell if someone is a nurse or other type of healthcare worker--we're the ones turning off the faucets and opening the door handles of restrooms (to exit) using a paper towel. ;)

It's not only new homes that are going to this set-up; it's very common abroad. Most homes/hotels/apartments in Europe have the toilet area separate from the rest of the bathroom, sometimes with it's own sink, sometimes not. So I use the toilet paper trick there too.

MizMissy
01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
The Contemporary (at least the Garden Wing Rooms) has a full bathroom that closes off from the rest of the room. Additionally, the toilet has a door (pocket door, maybe?) that can be closed to separate it from the two sinks/tub area.

Fastpasssteve
01-11-2014, 02:20 AM
All the one-bedroom 'villas' located in Disney Vacation Club Resorts have the kind of set-up your husband desires.

However, he could be daring and use a piece of toilet paper with which to open the door and then use the sink. If everyone washes their hands when they leave the toilet, how much of an issue IS this???

Arielfan98
01-12-2014, 01:06 AM
My family is made up of germaphobes but to be frank when you're leaving the bathroom you're most likely going to wash your hands with the sink. I don't see much of an issue. Like others said use toilet paper to open the door or my suggestion leave it a crack open so it is easy to open by the side rather than the handle.