PDA

View Full Version : tables in wonderland card

faberj
01-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Hi All,
We will be going to WDW twice this year (yay!) And are leaning towards annual passes as it will save us a bit of money. Any way just wondering those who are pass holders that have the tables in wonderland card if it is worth the extra cost.

Fangorn
01-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Like pretty much everything, the answer is 'it depends', but generally, yes. The TIW card gets you 20% off nearly all the table service restaurants (there are some exclusions) including adult beverages. So you'll have to spend at least $500 in order to break even. Depending on family size (the card is good for up to 10 people on one bill), and eating habits/style, that point can come quickly or possibly not at all. You'll have to figure that out. I will say, I find the TIW not only a good deal for us, but much less stressful than the ddp. We get what we want, including appetizers and drinks and always come out ahead in the long run.

Steve

NJGIRL
01-01-2014, 10:27 AM
I agree with Steve. You must figure out if you are going to spend over $500 (the break even point). We have purchased it for many years, when we were spending 10 to 15 days in Disney with four people, the card then for pass holders was only $75, and we saw decent savings.

This past year we took two trips, one with two people and one with four people. We spent a total of 9 days in the parks and ate at Teppan Edo and T Rex, who do not accept the card. We just broke even....we saved $4.58.

We are spending less days at Disney on our Florida vacations, not always traveling with the kids, and the card is now $100. We probably won't be getting it again.

My advise is to sit down and figure out how many people will be in your party, how many days you will be able to use the card, which restaurants that you are going to take the card or not. Most counter service don't take it, but I believe a few in the AK do.

Also take a look at your annual pass card. That provides a few discounts for dining also, that may help you.

This isn't a problem for us, but remember the tip is automatically added to TIW card holder's bills. Basically your TIW card is paying your tip.

Fangorn
01-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Also take a look at your annual pass card. That provides a few discounts for dining also, that may help you.

An excellent point. Yak and Yeti is one of the places that does not take the TIW card - but they do give a discount with the AP. It's only 10% as opposed to 20%, but still...

Side comment: Having just returned from a trip to Disneyland, I was surprised that there, every purchase - be it merchandise or food (even at the snack carts) was accompanied with a question from the CM as to whether we had an annual pass. If yes, you got the discount. You didn't have to remember, they asked. Of course, DLR sincerely values their local passholders and treats them accordingly.

Steve

NJGIRL
01-01-2014, 06:32 PM
We ate at Yak & Yeti also....I forgot that one. This is why you need to be really careful before buying the TIW card. Rainforest & T Rex also take the 10% annual pass discount.

I agree with you.....not one cast member in WDW has ever ask me if I had an annual pass, for the discounts, I always have to ask if they accept it.

faberj
01-01-2014, 06:59 PM
We are a family of 3 and DS loves the character meals. We have breakfast at the castle for just DS and I and that was $100 right there. I will have to add it up and see if it is worth it for us.

NJGIRL
01-01-2014, 07:32 PM
We are a family of 3 and DS loves the character meals. We have breakfast at the castle for just DS and I and that was $100 right there. I will have to add it up and see if it is worth it for us.

Yes, you don't want to pay for a discount card and not even break even. Be really careful of the restaurants you are booking to make sure they take the card.

TinkerbellT421
01-01-2014, 11:34 PM
As a side not, Tiw is good for up to 13 months (depending on when it is bought); so if you are annual pass holders and planning two trips, how long are the trips? One week? a few days?, that will help in your estimated savings of how many meals you will be eating, etc. It took two trips for us last time to come up ahead, and even then it was about a $60.00 savings; however, with that said, it saved us money on the back end with tips because usually we are 20% ish tippers and with it automatically adding 18% on every bill, we saved money on the tip budget. Do some rough figures, estimated math on what you plan for alcoholic beverages, meals, etc., and go from there.

disneykidsince1970
01-02-2014, 05:20 AM
I have had the TiW consistently for a couple of years. For me, one of the best perks is the free valet parking. I often stop at Disney while driving back and forth between Tampa and Jacksonville so this freebie gives me a perfect easy in/out to visit my favorite hotels for an hour or two. The biggest trick is to remember to use the discount card! Between my annual pass, DVC card, TiW - basically I just pull them all out and ask which is the best discount for wherever I'm paying. Go for the TiW one year and just keep track of what you are spending. For me and my family (we are drinkers and eaters!), it is always worth it.

Just a tip though- DON'T LOSE IT. Disney charges $50 to replace that paper ticket.

Have fun!

Nikki:mickey:

treber02
01-02-2014, 09:06 PM
We always spend one evening at Raglan Road in Downtown Disney. We like to spend a good amount of time with appetizers, dinner, dessert and of course all the wonderful Irish beer on tap. :beer: The entertainment is great. The last time we were there my husband, adult son and I managed a bill of over $200. We saved over $40 almost half the cost of the TIW card. We would have gone there anyway but the savings were a bonus.