PDA

View Full Version : Airfare - October 2014

mrte62
12-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Not breaking any news here, but prices continue to go up. EWR to MCO when released were $284 next October - $65 more than we paid a year ago. They just went up another $20. $305 RT on United.

It was only a few years ago we paid $156 RT on Jet Blue ....

And the ability to use my United miles got tougher as well. Use to be able to find a round trip for 25,000 miles ... the best now is 37,500.

NJGIRL
01-01-2014, 10:45 AM
We went this past October 2013 and I purchased the tickets 9 months in advance. They were the most we ever paid to Florida. They were a little over $300 a piece!!! In fact that was with me watching them everyday because they started out at $375. I watched for highs and lows and also pieced the trip together and purchased the departing and returning trips separately.

The year before, October 2012, was the least we had paid in years at $180.00.

Since we started going in 1992 I have always paid between $200 - $250 per person, not a penny more.

I think the prices you are seeing are here to stay.

mrte62
01-15-2014, 10:50 AM
As of this morning, the RT from EWR to MCO has gone up to $321. :ill:

For some reason UA added some flights to use my miles so I jumped on them for the dates DW and I needed.

It is bad and getting worse ....

justice11
01-15-2014, 11:13 AM
I am so upset with the airfare prices. We are going in March and they are around 500 to 600 a piece, there are 6 of us flying. I don't know whether to cancel our trip or what.

VWL Mom
01-15-2014, 12:02 PM
When considering Jet Blue I have found that the fares are lowest the day they open for reservations. If I know my dates I book them immediately. If the fare drops you can get a credit towards your next trip but lately that hasn't happened.

mrte62
01-15-2014, 12:14 PM
When considering Jet Blue I have found that the fares are lowest the day they open for reservations. If I know my dates I book them immediately. If the fare drops you can get a credit towards your next trip but lately that hasn't happened.

Excellent point. Jet Blue is accepting reservations through 9/2/14 and Southwest through 6/30/14. And you are also correct - fares do not appear to be dropping ....

Bruegge
01-16-2014, 12:19 AM
SLC to MCO in June is Minimum $375. If you want to get there in the afternoon rather than 8:00pm or later... you need a direct flight...$500+ each.

I set up Kayak to alert me daily for prices.. when/if they go down a little I'll buy.

Cant get there on Southwest before 5:30PM. Still as expensive

DW, and two DD's will not do a redeye... I'm not much for them either.

I guess what I'm saying is: I Feel Your Pain!!!

Mickey'sGirl
01-16-2014, 08:41 AM
$500 each (incl taxes etc) is an awesome price where I come from!!! The extreme cost of flying is part of the reason why we usually drive (we also like to drive). The family of 6, have you considered driving from Missouri? You could easily do it in a day.

rjmdds
01-16-2014, 09:25 AM
I am having the same issue with airfare for the end of August from Newark to Orlando. I check everyday. It has only gone up. The airline industry is one of the biggest ripoffs. Prices rise, services drop precipitously and there are no options because they are in cahoots with each other. It's so frustrating.

mydisneygirls
01-16-2014, 10:33 AM
I never book my flights until a month or so before I'm going. The fares, especially JetBlue, go way down if the flights aren't booked. I flew last year from Boston for $90 each way.

mrte62
01-16-2014, 12:58 PM
I am having the same issue with airfare for the end of August from Newark to Orlando. I check everyday. It has only gone up. The airline industry is one of the biggest ripoffs. Prices rise, services drop precipitously and there are no options because they are in cahoots with each other. It's so frustrating.

You may want to try looking into Frontier from Trenton. It is their East Cost hub. Expanding service and they already fly to MCO.

Gator
01-16-2014, 03:47 PM
I'll have to agree as someone coming from the West coast that it's expensive and not getting better. Last time I paid below $300 was 2006. Ever since oil went through the roof, I can't get that $220-$280 range anymore. Now it's $100 more than that everytime.

Like another poster said, these prices are here to stay....unless we actually do something to increase the supply of oil. And i dont' see that happening for at least another 2-3 years.

mrte62
01-17-2014, 02:44 PM
The price of oil is a big factor for sure. The other change is the airline business model. Charge extra for anything and everything. Cut the number of planes per route and use the smallest planes possible to insure they are full while charging more due to the smaller supply.

MNNHFLTX
01-17-2014, 03:20 PM
For some reason UA added some flights to use my miles so I jumped on them for the dates DW and I needed.

That's United for you--if you don't see reward seats, keep checking, because they almost always pop up. When I'm looking for a specific flight I check the booking site a couple of times a day.

As far as airfares, I've found that 2-3 months out seems to be a good time-frame to get in on some sales. Sometimes if you pay too far in advance you end up paying top dollar. On my last trip to Disneyland fares were running $360-390 for months and then two months out they suddenly dipped to $245.

LittleSpirit02
01-18-2014, 04:32 PM
I came on to ask the same question...

Looking to fly October 14th - 22. Airfare on Orbitz is 315 at best... nothing out for Southwest or JetBlue yet. What date would those companies open up bookings for October 14-22?

mrte62
02-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Each way from Newark to Orlando can be found from $129 on UA. Better.

Figment104
02-11-2014, 11:49 AM
I was totally shell shocked when I looked up flights from Detroit to Orlando. Normally I've been able to get them for somewhere in the $200's, I'll even take upper $200's. This time if I want a flight before 3 and non-stop, we're looking at around $500. That's just getting nuts. We're looking for 10/11 - 10/18, so I'm wondering if Columbus Day is bumping things up a bit. I wouldn't think it would have that big of an impact, but maybe.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
I wish it was cost effective for us to drive, but according to Mapquest its basically about 1600 miles from my front door to MK, which with a family with 3 young kids, probably means a 3 day drive down and 3 days back, which when you add fuel costs for a 3200 mile trip and added hotels for 5 or 6 nights plus meals, well, flying is pretty much the preferred option.

From MSP to MCO a round-trip ticket on Delta (we are a hub city) is currently $375. In 2012 fares were at this level or higher, but in May they started to trend down and by the time I booked in June they were down to $250, and that was about as low as I think they got.

Right now it seems I'm too far out to get any kind of trend indicator, and airfare hasn't budged in about a month. Its tough when airfare alone takes about $2000 out of your budget.

ddcrna
02-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Booked on Jet Blue RT non-stop BOS - MCO Sep 27-Oct 11

$239/pp

Not bad!

yankeesfan123
02-22-2014, 09:20 AM
I started going yearly in 2004: we paid about $150 RT back then on SW in January and have never paid more than $200 (for January flights).

This year, we will be paying about $220 RT in August.

I don't think that is a terrible increase, especially given the time of year.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!

amorillo
02-23-2014, 08:32 AM
I paid $236 per person from pennsylvania through jetblue at the beginning of the month... and that was with fees & taxes included. I guess not too bad. Of course when you figure in all the other price increases each year :( it makes your head spin.

I was looking through some old paperwork and in 2004 we paid just under $150 per person with fees and & taxes included.....

mrte62
02-23-2014, 07:07 PM
I was totally shell shocked when I looked up flights from Detroit to Orlando. Normally I've been able to get them for somewhere in the $200's, I'll even take upper $200's. This time if I want a flight before 3 and non-stop, we're looking at around $500. That's just getting nuts. We're looking for 10/11 - 10/18, so I'm wondering if Columbus Day is bumping things up a bit. I wouldn't think it would have that big of an impact, but maybe.

Last year (this week in fact)I had booked a business trip from Newark to Detroit two weeks in advance. $875! The round trip on the same days from Newark to Honolulu was $620. Go figure.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-23-2014, 08:11 PM
I never book my flights until a month or so before I'm going. The fares, especially JetBlue, go way down if the flights aren't booked. I flew last year from Boston for $90 each way.

Just curious, what month did you go in? I got $210 in November and booked about 3 months in advance, but flew out of Providence. I'm hoping for October this year. My timeshare week is actually 3/1/14 this year but there was no way I was paying that for airfare. Same thing happened last year. It was cheaper to pay for an internal trade rather than pay the $$$ for airfare.

Ian
02-23-2014, 08:49 PM
I know, would like to understand what the heck is going on with airfare?? We used to routinely be able to fly r/t from Philly to Orlando for around $200 pp give or take. Sometimes we could do quite a bit better than that even.

I just priced air for our trip in April and it was absolutely ridiculous. Southwest was somewhere around $400 per person depending on how lousy a flight we were willing to take and US Air wasn't much better.

We're driving again. There's just no way I can justify spending $2,400 for a family of six to fly down and then another $600 to rent a car for the week. That's $3,000 as compared to the like $750 it costs us to drive.

It's getting ridiculous! :mad:

MrPeetrie
02-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Running into the same issue here (PIT to MCO RT).

RT tix used to be approx. $150 apiece. Now, it's more than $200 each way. US AIR removed its hub a few years back and non-stop options have all but dried up. Back in 2002, for DW & I, airline tix were only $310. Now, with two children, we need to budget around $1,600. That's a lot of bucks. Ouch!

faline
02-24-2014, 07:46 AM
Airfare used to be such that we could justify flying into Orlando for a long weekend - even if we were booking at the last minute. This is no longer true. If I'm paying the current costs for airfare, it's got to be for a longer trip in order to be justifiable.

Just a quick comparison - eight years ago, I flew 4 people from Boston to Oahu to Maui and back to Boston for a total of $1500. Last year, 2 people flew this same route for $2200!!!

MaleficentFan
03-15-2014, 04:59 PM

We are flying from Detroit to Orlando April 5th on AirTran ($264 pp non-stop) and from Orlando to Detroit April 12th US Airways ($295 pp with one stop) It's Spring break time/Easter time off from school so not much we could do! UGH!:sick:

Tabi550
03-29-2014, 08:03 AM

Figment, check southwest from Flint for those dates because we are flying Sept. 24 for 110.00 each way per person and we leave @ 6:50am and come home in the afternoon on Oct 7 both non stop flights and southwest lets you have 2 free checked bags . Good Luck:mickey: