PDA

View Full Version : Saving Mr. Banks the Movie

mickclub1955
12-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Just got back from watching this movie and all I can say is wow. It was well acted and it showed the human side of both Walt and P.L. Travers. It also not only showed how mean she was, it gave a glimpse of why she was the way she was. All I can say is go see it. I know not everyone will like it, all I can say is that I did. Be sure to stay and watch the credits. Mrs. Travers audio taped all of the meetings, and they play some real audio from one those tapes. It was great getting to hear a part of a real meeting.:thumbsup:

DisneyGiant
12-21-2013, 01:26 AM
Be sure to stay and watch the credits. Mrs. Travers audio taped all of the meetings, and they play some real audio from one those tapes. It was great getting to hear a part of a real meeting.:thumbsup:

I second this recommendation.

I did not expect it to be so sad...... If they had to do it all over again - I wish they would have released it in the summer or some other time besides Christmas.

Also - I'd recommend not bringing kids to it. I took two 12 year olds - they did not really "get" the flashback scenes & they were bored to tears. Plus - did I mention it was kind of sad? ;)

All in all though - great drama. I will be re-watching Mary Poppins again - in a new light!!!

Also - I'll say one phrase - that I found amusing - I don't think its giving anything away - "No Red?"

Struck my funny bone!

BrerGnat
12-21-2013, 07:31 AM
The movie is rated PG-13 for good reason. It is definitely an adult themed film. It was quite heavy but I knew that going in.

This is PL Travers' story. And a sad one indeed.

IMO, though, a very well acted and directed movie with a solid storyline. Exactly what you want a movie to be

Katzateer
12-21-2013, 08:04 AM
My youngest (19) and I enjoyed and yes, bring the tissues. I am not a big Mary Poppins fan but I enjoyed the movie. Loved the scenes from Disneyland - have not been there in over 35 years and it brought back memories. And the entire Disney studios- reminded me of the Studios at WDW so much. All the buildings made me miss MGM at WDW. Did not realize how the buildings and lines on structures were all based on Walt's actual studios. I was thinking more of MGM and the old Hollywood in the design of the park.

I think Tom and Emma did a great job and the other actors were good too. Surprised how little time "Mary Poppins" was actually in the film.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
12-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Oh my. You guys are making me think twice about seeing this movie for now. I don't think my pregnancy hormones could handle it. I'll be a mess! I mean I was trying not to cry during the Hunger Games last month for goodness sakes, lol!

BrowncatP
12-21-2013, 06:10 PM
I saw it yesterday as well. Yes, make sure you stay until the last credit rolls. Not only do you hear some of the real recording, but the movie is dedicated to someone special to Walt. It is sad the life P.L had. Also note that the movie is "based on real events." Not all that you see is factual.

MNNHFLTX
12-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Also note that the movie is "based on real events." Not all that you see is factual.Agreed. After seeing the movie yesterday, I was intrigued by the whole story of how Mary Poppins came to be, so I did a little research. Based on P.L. Travers biographer, she was greatly disillusioned by the end result and felt ill-treated by studio execs (and presumably Walt too). That was disappointing to hear, given how the movie neatly tied everything up. But it was a very good movie, thought-provoking and not a tear-jerker in the classic sense--more poignant than anything. Tom Hanks was wonderful, as good a portrayal of Walt as you could get, IMO, and Emma Thompson was equally good. And lots of marvelous supporting roles that really made the early days of Disney Studios come to life for me.

Kenny1113
12-22-2013, 12:54 PM
I second this recommendation.

Also - I'd recommend not bringing kids to it. I took two 12 year olds - they did not really "get" the flashback scenes & they were bored to tears. Plus - did I mention it was kind of sad? ;)

Thanks for this.
I want to take my mom who loves the Mary Poppins movie. I was debating whether or not to take my boys along (12 and 9).

Altair
12-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Saw this today and thought it was really good. :thumbsup: I also thought Tom Hanks did a nice job as Walt. I'm just afraid this movie is going to bomb at the box office. I viewed it with maybe 25 other people in the theater. I don't know if there is wide enough appeal for it to succeed. It only did $9.3 million it's first weekend.

caryrae
12-28-2013, 04:00 PM
We are going to see this in a couple hours. My wife says people at her work really liked it and highly recommended it.

TinkerbellT421
12-30-2013, 04:35 PM
DBF and I went and saw it after Christmas dinner. I have to say, I absolutely LOVED it! And yes, extremely sad, balled my eyes out, but I cry at the drop of a dime so...But, I can see how "non-Disney" fans, or others who don't "get Disney", won't like it. I also fear it may bomb a bit, but hope it does well enough. Being a huge Disney fan, huge Tom Hanks fan and HUGE Marry Poppins fan, I think I would have loved it even if it didn't have a good story line. Brergnat nailed it in:

The movie is rated PG-13 for good reason. It is definitely an adult themed film. It was quite heavy but I knew that going in.

This is PL Travers' story. And a sad one indeed.

IMO, though, a very well acted and directed movie with a solid storyline. Exactly what you want a movie to be

NJGIRL
01-01-2014, 06:43 PM
I was really hyped to see this movie when I first heard about it. But after the reviews here, I thought it was going to be a "light, fun" movie, I decided not to see it until it comes on TV.

I also researched a little and didn't like the fact that I am hearing that the movie made the end relationship out to be OK, when what I found was the opposite. But I guess that they can't make Walt or the company out to be the bad guys.

I agree with this movie having appeal to a limited crowd, especially during the Christmas holiday.

Tink1
01-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Saw this last week and thought it was very good!

My sister (who also enjoyed it) commented on the way out "they can use that movie in a pysch class" .

Nanc

Melanie
01-02-2014, 07:07 AM
I was really hyped to see this movie when I first heard about it. But after the reviews here, I thought it was going to be a "light, fun" movie, I decided not to see it until it comes on TV.

I also researched a little and didn't like the fact that I am hearing that the movie made the end relationship out to be OK, when what I found was the opposite. But I guess that they can't make Walt or the company out to be the bad guys.

I agree with this movie having appeal to a limited crowd, especially during the Christmas holiday.

Honestly Rita, I read as well that they neatly tied it up with a bow, but that's not at all how I interpreted it. There is no where in the movie where she's screaming 'I loved it! You're all geniuses!' I took what I knew of the truth - what they showed, what they didn't show - and that was my ending.

And to my surprise, they didn't sugarcoat Walt, or the things he did to get MP made.

TinkerbellT421
01-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Honestly Rita, I read as well that they neatly tied it up with a bow, but that's not at all how I interpreted it. There is no where in the movie where she's screaming 'I loved it! You're all geniuses!' I took what I knew of the truth - what they showed, what they didn't show - and that was my ending.

And to my surprise, they didn't sugarcoat Walt, or the things he did to get MP made.

I walked away with this feeling as well.
They didn't end by saying one way or another about how it really ended. They didn't show her say she loved it or hated it. I think they left it for up to people's interpretation. If people don't know the "real" background of the story then I can see how they would assume she loved it. But as people that know the background, it is left for interpretation I feel.

Melanie
01-02-2014, 08:37 AM
I walked away with this feeling as well.

They didn't end by saying one way or another about how it really ended. They didn't show her say she loved it or hated it. I think they left it for up to people's interpretation. If people don't know the "real" background of the story then I can see how they would assume she loved it. But as people that know the background, it is left for interpretation I feel.

Right! She wasn't crying at the premiere because she loved it. ;)

Elias1901
01-02-2014, 12:13 PM
I certainly enjoyed this film, to say the VERY least!! I have seen it a total of 5 or 6 times now. I'm thinking 6. I think the film was brilliant, simply a crowned jewel... a marvel... a senstation.... it's... well, when is all said and done, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Didn't even look the spelling of that up! ;)

I originally saw it at the premiere at the actual Walt Disney Studios lot in Burbank, California. It was a nice event they put on and you could even go on a self-tour of the studios to see spots used for filming the movie. Tom Hanks (Walt Disney), Emma Thompson (P.L. Travers), Jason Schwartzman (Richard M. Sherman), B.J. Novak (Robert B. Sherman), Bradley Whitford (Don DaGradi), Paul Giamatti (Ralph the Driver), and Colin Farrell (Travers Goff) and a handful of other stars in the film were on hand for the premiere, even Richard M. Sherman himself was there to watch it all finally unfold to the public and press. Heck, even Disney CEO Bob Iger made it out for this truly special night. It was pure magic.

So... is this film a 100% accurate documentary that repeats history exactly verbatim? No, not at all. Is it a very faithful yet dramatic and cinematic representation of Walt Disney's struggle to get the rights from Ms. Travers to make Mary Poppins a reality? Of course and I think it couldn't have left the audience satisified any other way. Some of us know that Pamela was never fully satisified by the film and she had a lot of bitterness, but in the end result, she had a certain fondness for Walt himself and had taken somewhat of a shine to him. This movie wasn't intended to be a dry and storyline-less film. It is truth set in a carefully woven dramatization. Nothing more, nothing less. How can it not leave an up-lifting feeling of magical fulfillment in your heart when the cedits begin to roll and the final bit of score swells?
I sure know that Richard Sherman felt that way when I saw him crying his eyes out while watching the film. I managed to speak with him afterward and he said that being the musical consultant during the film's production had been one of the most emotional rides of his life. So many wonderful memories relived before his eyes again. He was very sentimental. It was like he stepped back to a time when he could visit with Walt again and relive some of the happiest moments of his career. He got to see himself as a young man, making this magical film called, "Mary Poppins" come to life. Sherman himself said the film is almost exactly how things happened. Or a good representation at the very least. He was moved!

The cast was brilliant (no doubt that Emma Thompson will win the Oscar this year for her excellent portrayal of Ms. P.L. Travers and perhaps Tom Hanks in best supporting role as Walt) and was chalk full of talented actors and actresses who brought one of the most important times in the Walt Disney Studio's history to life. In addition, the script and storyline of the film in itself was just swell! Thomas Newman's scoring for the film was also sublime. I suggest you go download the deluxe edition of his soudntrack in the iTunes Store! Newman created a fantastic soundtrack and deserves to be recognized!

The sets and locations (while mostly were already existing places such as the Walt Disney Studios lot and Disneyland) were amazingly detailed as well. I really enjoyed picking through all the meticulously crafted tributes, easter eggs, and small details in the background of this film. And trust me, the film's creators poured in plenty of that stuff! And I must say, them recreating 1960's versions of the Studios and Disneyland was a real treat. Somethings were changed through time which caused for some inaccuracies, but I think the least we can do is put that aside for a few hours and suspend our disbelief for the creator's efforts. I just loved how there was so many Disney "in-jokes" for fan's to catch, and honestly that was one of best parts of the film for me. Oh, and Tom was great as Walt! Didn't bug me!

I thought that the balance of film's content jumping between the mayhem at the Walt Disney Studios and Travers' childhood in Australia to be very suitable and appropriately utilized. In short, if you are a Disney history fan, a Walt fan, a Mary Poppins fan... a fan of good movies in general... go see this film. You shouldn't be dissapointed! And to all the haters and naysayers that just complain and simply can never be pleased with anything and say the film wasn't 100% accurate or was sugar coated or whatever else on God's green Earth ales them... all I have to say to them is... GO FLY A KITE!! :D

On a side note, I also heard that the Disney Parks Blog even had a mock-up premiere meet-up at Disney's Hollywood Studios in front of the Grauman's Chinese Theatre facade with Mary Poppins characters on-hand to meet and greet with guests. I must admit, that must've been cool to see!

Anyway, in the end... TWO THUMBS WAYYYYY UP for me! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Again, go see this film... more Disney history dramatizations NEED to be made! Period. Hopefully one on Walt's life story is made... like this tribute movie poster featuring Ryan Gosling as a younger Walt:

http://www.disneydreaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Ryan-Gosling-Walt-Movie-Poster.jpg

P.S. Be sure to buy this film on it's Blu-ray release! I know I will be!

MNNHFLTX
01-02-2014, 04:35 PM

I also researched a little and didn't like the fact that I am hearing that the movie made the end relationship out to be OK, when what I found was the opposite. But I guess that they can't make Walt or the company out to be the bad guys.I agree, Rita. I almost wish I hadn't dug around a bit, looking into the true story of how PL Travers felt about the movie, after the fact. Even more telling was that when she was approached about developing the story into a stage production, she agreed to it only with the stipulation that no one from the film production was to have any involvement in it.

That said, I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend people see Saving Mr. Banks in the theaters. Her background, specifically her devotion to her troubled (but doting) father, certainly made her actions more understandable. And that connection is made very well in the movie. It was very touching.

I don't know that Walt or any of the other Disney people involved had anything but good intentions with Mary Poppins. They certainly took creative license in adapting it from the original books, that is true, but they knew what would pull people into the theaters. In the end they were right, and they also made a lot of money for Travers.

Lacy
01-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Finally got a chance to go see the movie yesterday and LOVED it. I don't think it was too sugar coated and my impression at the end was that she excepted the movie being made but still wasn't completely happy. And I think Walt not inviting her to the premiere showed that things were not all wonderful at the end.

I too found it interesting to read after the fact that she agreed to help with the musical as long as no one from the film was involved.

In general a very moving story that was very well done. And it inspired me to watch the movie about the Sherman Bros - so I'll finally get around to watching The Boys which has been on my list.

And Disney Connoisseur thanks for the recap of the premiere at the studios!

Altair
01-03-2014, 08:25 AM
I too found it interesting to read after the fact that she agreed to help with the musical as long as no one from the film was involved.

She went beyond that and said no Americans could be involved.

Elias1901
01-03-2014, 11:10 AM
She went beyond that and said no Americans could be involved.

"No Americans shall ever touch my precious books again!" ~ P.L. Travers

... :rolleyes:
Richard M. Sherman himself views how Ms. Travers behaved as totally laughable. Honestly, I agree. While Emma Thompson’s excellent performance in ”Saving Mr. Banks” ended up making me kind of like and root for Pamela by the end of the film, in reality, I still think she is kind of a grumpy and stale old crumpet. Richard Sherman once told the story of how Travers especially didn’t want the Sherman Brothers’ classic music from the film to make it’s way into the stage musical adaptation of “Mary Poppins”. He also went on to say that he once tried to explain to her that her books would forever exist in the world, just the way she intended and created them. Just because producers want to expand and devlop different versions or renditions based off of her original works, doesn’t ruin her books or take away their existence in the world as the original Mary Poppins stories.

He compared it to Disney and Cameron Mackintosh creating the stage musical version. Just because there was going to be new, original music written by George Stiles and Anthony Drewe to complement the classic Sherman Brothers’ songs, it wouldn’t take away from the fact that their songs would always exist the way there were in the “Mary Poppins” film and now it is time for someone else to get creative and expand on what already exists. Pamela Travers just never understood creative feedom.

BrerGnat
01-03-2014, 12:57 PM
"No Americans shall ever touch my precious books again!" ~ P.L. Travers

... :rolleyes:
Richard M. Sherman himself views how Ms. Travers behaved as totally laughable. Honestly, I agree. While Emma Thompson’s excellent performance in ”Saving Mr. Banks” ended up making me kind of like and root for Pamela by the end of the film, in reality, I still think she is kind of a grumpy and stale old crumpet. Richard Sherman once told the story of how Travers especially didn’t want the Sherman Brothers’ classic music from the film to make it’s way into the stage musical adaptation of “Mary Poppins”. He also went on to say that he once tried to explain to her that her books would forever exist in the world, just the way she intended and created them. Just because producers want to expand and devlop different versions or renditions based off of her original works, doesn’t ruin her books or take away their existence in the world as the original Mary Poppins stories.

He compared it to Disney and Cameron Mackintosh creating the stage musical version. Just because there was going to be new, original music written by George Stiles and Anthony Drewe to complement the classic Sherman Brothers’ songs, it wouldn’t take away from the fact that their songs would always exist the way there were in the “Mary Poppins” film and now it is time for someone else to get creative and expand on what already exists. Pamela Travers just never understood creative feedom.

I totally agree with this post.

Melanie
01-03-2014, 03:37 PM
a grumpy and stale old crumpet

Perfect! I may even go a bit further. ;)

Elias1901
01-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Well, I guess that means I chose my words carefully. :D

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Loved this movie, did not feel anything was sugar coated. They did a good job casting this movie, would love to see Emma Thompson win an award for this. Tom Hanks was also excellent, love how they hinted at his health problems with the coughing and how he wasn't above scheming to get his way, but still kept him our beloved Walt. I think PL's attitude towards everyone stemmed from her issues with her father. Sometimes the person you hate the most is also the person you love the most and those people usually take out their anger on others not the deserving party.:(

Melanie
01-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Just saw it again, and the second time was even better. I've never been a huge Colin Farrell fan, but man, I can't get enough of his performance. He was great!

Hammer
01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Finally saw the movie with my sister. I'm a bit at fault because I didn't mention it beforehand to my sister that movie was a bit heavier than one would expect. I probably thought something would have been said in her Entertainment Weekly. I'll buy the next round of drinks when we get together again as a mea culpa :D :wine: !

I really enjoyed the movie and the performances. If anything, they made P.L. Travers nicer than she really was. Tom Hanks did a good job as Walt. They should enough negative things to keep him from looking like all sweetness and light. Like many others have said, I need to watch Mary Poppins with new eyes.

Just saw it again, and the second time was even better. I've never been a huge Colin Farrell fan, but man, I can't get enough of his performance. He was great!

I agree 100%! I really hope he is considered for a best supporting actor Oscar for the role. I also have to say how much I enjoyed seeing Bradley Whitford in something again. His facial expressions were priceless!

tinkwest
01-06-2014, 02:11 AM
I finally saw the movie with DH this past week. I am the more critical of the two of us and I had some trouble with P.L.Travers' apparent attitude change towards the end and the contrived relationship between her and the limo driver. Also, having grown up with Disneyland, I wished they had tried just a bit harder to disguise today's Fantasyland background during the carrousel scene. But that's just me being picky.

The movie was moving and enjoyable and I would go see it again. I think I'd even like it more the second time. The actors all did a fine job. It must be difficult to play the part of a real person that so many people are familiar with. Especially the part of Walt Disney, known worldwide.

This movie definitely rekindled my interest in the movie Mary Poppins, one of my favorites when I was a kid.

BrerGnat
01-06-2014, 08:19 AM
I think it is very important to remember this movie is not a documentary. I think of it like Titanic. Just because Jack and Rose were "made up characters" that does not mean the movie is any less compelling.

Although Ralph was a made up character, I loved him and the scenes between him and P.L. Travers were put in there to show the tiny part of her that was kind, if even only in small bursts. According to her real life friends, she was like that...she'd be nice and caring for a second, and then she would say something cold and brusque the next second. That relationship was meant to show that part of her character.

As for the ending, again, contrived drama to make the audience feel a sense of closure with the story. And, the story Walt tells about his paper route and his father is indeed true. I think the point of scenes like that are to illustrate what *could* have happened, but not necessarily what did happen.

As we all know by now, the movie/entertainment industry is about schmoozing, lying, manipulating, and in the end, it's about money and success. It's not always nice and pretty.

RAIDER
01-06-2014, 09:00 AM
I watched in late Dec in Florida and loved it
I really didnt think it was going to be that good
I agree with the rest Emma Thompson was very good but i think Helen Mirren would have been better cast

When they played the tapes of her voice in the credits PL Travers sounded so much like Margaret Thatcher :D

Dixie Springs
01-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Finally saw it. I was originally put off by Tom Hanks in the role (seriously, was he on any fan's short-list to play Walt?), but that abated after about a 10 minutes of his performance.

It was a compelling, well-made film. Bring tissues. Staunch critics will focus on the literary tricks to make it a 'Disney' story, but dreary real-life accounts do not a good movie make.

Tiggerlovr9000
01-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Just saw it this afternoon. I had such a wide range of emotions, happy, sad, ecstatic with the walk down main street and rehearsals for Mary Poppins songs. It is an amazing movie. I wanted to stay for the 4 pm show and see it again, but have to wait til 6:45pm. Yes twice in one day, it's that good.:blush::blush:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Add me to the list of people that loved the movie. Saw it the first time this weekend when our friends gave us free babysitting for the day, so DW and I finally got to see a non-animated movie, which of course still ended up being a Disney movie.

I hold no false beliefs that the story wasn't "disneyfied" in many instances to provide resolution when there really wasn't any, or maybe put a happier spin on things, but taking it as a whole, I have to believe that they captured the moment fairly accurately. It really makes me want to a) watch the movie again, b) find a good biography on PL Travers and c) find a good biography on Walt, oh and d) go back to WDW.

Ian
01-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Walt was wearing a Smoke Tree Ranch tie! :mickey:

Seriously, though, the movie was filled with great little legitimate touches like that.

I simply adored it. It moved me to tears at least five or six times and yet it moved me to laughter just as many times. FANTASTIC!!!

Mickey'sGirl
01-16-2014, 08:38 AM
I'm still not convinced that I want to see this one .... though with more and more favourable reviews from real people, I may just break down and go (if only for the Mickey short).

Melanie
01-16-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm just a little bit ticked this morning that Emma Thompson didn't get nominated for Best Actress. :mad:

mickclub1955
01-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Yes, that was a very big Snub!!!! The only nomination here is Original Score.

Elias1901
01-16-2014, 10:15 AM
I may just break down and go (if only for the Mickey short).

The Mickey short, "Get a Horse!" does not play before "Saving Mr. Banks", it runs before "Frozen".

Melanie
01-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Yes, that was a very big Snub!!!! The only nomination here is Original Score.

Agreed!

On a side note, so great meeting you and your lovely wife last week. Hope you all had a magical trip!

mickclub1955
01-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Agreed!

On a side note, so great meeting you and your lovely wife last week. Hope you all had a magical trip!

It was great meeting you also, as well as everyone that was at Gary's Column in Epcot. It was great putting faces with names. The trip was wonderful. I need to get our experience listed in the trip reports.

Mickey'sGirl
01-16-2014, 11:40 AM
The Mickey short, "Get a Horse!" does not play before "Saving Mr. Banks", it runs before "Frozen".Thanks!! I'll catch up eventually!! Haven't seen Frozen yet, either.

Lisaj13
01-17-2014, 10:35 AM
I just got my weekly e-mail from my PBS station (KSPS in Spokane). On January 24th they're showing The Real Mary Poppins, synopsis below:

9pt/10mt - The Real Mary Poppins - Author Pamela Travers, creator of the much-loved character Mary Poppins, led a remarkable but troubled life. Behind the fictional nanny lies a complex tale of a young woman escaping rural Australia in her pursuit to become a writer, reinventing herself and her past along the way. This program combines interviews and footage from the 2002 documentary The Shadow of Mary Poppins interwoven with clips from the film Saving Mr. Banks and interviews with its cast.

Ian
01-17-2014, 11:17 AM
So I will start this off by admitting that I'm a total sucker for Mary Poppins. Christine may be the only human on Earth who loves that film more than I do. There's something so powerful for me in the story of Mr. Banks' redemption that I can't watch it without crying my eyes out. I guess it's the Dad in me maybe, although it's always resonated with me even before I had kids so it could be something inherent in the story ... all I know is whenever I hear Feed the Birds I immediately well up. ;)

Which brings me to my point ... maybe others knew they existed, but these P.L. Travers tapes are just amazing! I've been listening to them on YouTube and what an incredible snapshot of history! Being able to hear the Sherman brothers performing their songs in the rough, the way they themselves intended them, is simply a treasure. They were (are) absolute geniuses and their music is something I value beyond estimation.

Kenny1113
01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Being able to hear the Sherman brothers performing their songs in the rough, the way they themselves intended them, is simply a treasure. They were (are) absolute geniuses and their music is something I value beyond estimation.

Agreed! Many times I have enjoyed the music while watching something, when I look at the credits it was the Sherman brothers...

Altair
01-17-2014, 12:42 PM
I know is whenever I hear Feed the Birds I immediately well up. ;)

For me it's "Let's Go Fly a Kite" at the end. In the play they moved this song to the middle and it's not nearly as powerful. :mickey:

Ian
01-17-2014, 02:38 PM
For me it's "Let's Go Fly a Kite" at the end. In the play they moved this song to the middle and it's not nearly as powerful. :mickey:Oh totally ... that's what I was referencing really when I talked about George Banks' redemption. In a way, as a kid, I think we can all relate to that at least on some level, because we all probably (to one degree or another) wish our Fathers (or our Mothers for that matter) had more time to spend with us and play with us and hug us and kiss us. The idea that your Father would toss his job out the window in the name of his children is ... wow.

tinkwest
01-24-2014, 12:58 PM
I just got my weekly e-mail from my PBS station (KSPS in Spokane). On January 24th they're showing The Real Mary Poppins, synopsis below:

9pt/10mt - The Real Mary Poppins - Author Pamela Travers, creator of the much-loved character Mary Poppins, led a remarkable but troubled life. Behind the fictional nanny lies a complex tale of a young woman escaping rural Australia in her pursuit to become a writer, reinventing herself and her past along the way. This program combines interviews and footage from the 2002 documentary The Shadow of Mary Poppins interwoven with clips from the film Saving Mr. Banks and interviews with its cast.

Had my DVR set for this program tonight. Suddenly today PBS changes their schedule and the show is now nowhere to be found. I'm so disappointed. It's maybe just a regional thing. Hopefully some of you will get to view it on your local PBS station.

Tiggerlovr9000
01-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Had my DVR set for this program tonight. Suddenly today PBS changes their schedule and the show is now nowhere to be found. I'm so disappointed. It's maybe just a regional thing. Hopefully some of you will get to view it on your local PBS station.

Saw this post and I had also set my dvr to record it tonight. I then checked pbs here and it's not on on anymore. So disappointed. I wonder what happened to it.

Tiggerlovr9000
01-24-2014, 02:55 PM

I called our local pbs office and they said the national office pulled it from the schedule because of copyright laws.

BrowncatP
01-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Former Imagineer Bob Gurr said that Walt would cough as he was coming down the hallway before entering an Imagineer's office. He was letting you know of his arrival. I don't know if in the movie that is the reason Walt coughs, or is the cough a reference to his smoking.

mickclub1955
01-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Yeah, it is not on here tonight either in South Mississippi. Some Nashville show is on. Wondering why my DVR is taping this when I requested the PL Travers program. Weird.

Ian
01-25-2014, 03:51 PM
I ordered "The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Story" from Netflix the other day and the DVD just arrived. Can't wait to watch it!

BrerGnat
01-25-2014, 06:26 PM
I ordered "The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Story" from Netflix the other day and the DVD just arrived. Can't wait to watch it!

It's fantastic. And sad. I got it through Netflix a couple months ago.

DizneyFreak2002
07-31-2014, 06:55 PM
It's July, and I just finally got around to seeing this... I thought it was a great movie...

I know a lot of it was for Hollywood drama and not historically or factually correct, but Walt not knowing PL Travers was a pen name and not her real name? Is that really true? I find it hard to believe Walt would have been duped that bad by her name...

TheDuckRocks
08-01-2014, 11:21 AM
I loved this movie so much I even bought a copy, which is very rare for me.
Did a quick Bing search and there is tons of stuff about PL Travers, her relation with Disney and her personal life. We would have been the theater 5 hours for them to have covered it all.