PDA

View Full Version : A few friends of mine (20-somethings) are planning a trip- best/cheap options?

jumpedup
12-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Hey guys!

I used to post here when I was a kid about my experiences at Disney. I've always loved to go, but only got to go twice in my life. I'm 24 now, and I've just applied for a credit card that is going to get me a lot of free mileage on the dollar. I'm paying for a grad class on there, so lets just say I have enough for a trip or two to Florida :)

I'm excited at the prospect of going again, and I have three friends of mine that would be interested in going. We're all in our early 20's, so we don't have THAT much $$$ to spend. But of course, we'll have enough.

Was wondering what the cheapest route to go would be with staying somewhere, renting a car, going to the parks, hitting Universal, etc...

What I've already considered: I've found some house rentals on homeaway.com that are like 80-90 bucks a night for some very decent looking houses. Dunno if this is too good to be true, but it seems like a good option. Any cheaper ideas? Better to stay at the parks? Near? If we weren't near the parks we would have to rent a car... good/bad idea?

Also, considered a two-day pass for Disney (or perhaps 3) and going to Universal for a day.

The whole trip would probably be for 5-6 days. Would come from NJ and I just checked flights quickly and saw in the 300 range. I'll have enough to cover my flights and some of my friends. Cheapest options for flights?

I know this is a lot, but any help is appreciated. Sorry if I was wordy, and if these questions have been answered before!

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-17-2013, 09:15 AM
:welcome: (back)

Sounds like you're going to have a fun time with your friends.

It may be worth looking into staying onsite, at least for a night at Universal, so you can get the Front of the Line pass (which you can also pay for, but with 4 of you, probably cheaper to stay on site), which will greatly decrease the amount of time you are in line for the rides.

A house is generally cheaper than a hotel room, and you'll have some private space too! All Star Vacation Homes (http://www.allstarvacationhomes.com/index.asp) is a sponsor of this site, and they have a huge variety of options and prices. Check them out!

When are you thinking of going? If it is a busy time, it might also make sense to stay on site at Disney, to be able to book your FP+ in advance, and the extra expense might be off-set a bit by not renting a car.

Lots to think about and plan, isn't there? Can't wait to hear more details about what you decide. :)

JMTStone
12-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Another vote for staying on site even though you may spend a day at Universal. Disney can take you by bus to and from the airport at no additional cost. This way you also have free transportation to and from Disney Parks and Downtown Disney (My 21 year old DD spent a night celebrating there). She used our DVC points and took a girlfriend down so its a similar situation. Only they went to Universal 2 days and Disney 2 days.

You can let Disney do all the driving except for one taxi trip to Universal.

Disney Value Resorts can be very affordable. I recommend (HIGHLY) working with Magical Journeys for booking as they have saved us money in the past. I booked through them and a few weeks before we were to get there, our agent (Denise) called and said "hey, if you want to save $300.00, I can move you to Port Orleans". HECK YEAH. Their link is on the left too.

Have fun!

BigRedDad
12-19-2013, 05:29 AM
This may be blasphemy, but I am going to stay offsite on my next trip. The only way I would stay on-site is if I get a Disney resort for as cheap as I can offsite.

My reasons for this is the internal bus system has been horrible my last trips. I pay a premium for that benefit only to waste a lot of time waiting. We will be driving on most trips going forward. With an annual pass, parking is free. I just get sick of waiting for a bus with 100 people in line and watching 3 empty buses stop and leave for another resort. Until Disney fixes the bus issue, I will have my car and most likely save $600-$1000 on offsite hotels.

Katzateer
12-19-2013, 07:50 AM
My daughter's (in 20's) have gone to WDW with friends.

I would suggest getting two connecting value rooms. That worked well and ended up costing each of them about $50 a night and they each got their own bed. And having 2 bathrooms worked out well. Also, if you stay onsite you get free Magical express transportation from airport.

If you decide to stay offsite you will spend the time driving to parks. The EMH worked well for my girls and friends, especially the late nights. You won't get that option if you stay offsite.

Whatever ticket option works for you, I would try to get a waterpark ticket for one day. They really enjoyed Typoon Lagoon (Blizzard Beach is fun too).

Allow at least one day for Downtown Disney. They enjoyed Raglan Road for dining.

They have a shuttle to universal but I don't know much about it. I think it leaves from DTD near Cirque.

Have a great time!

PopPhan
12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Something to think about, beside the cost of a rental car for your trip, is that if you stay offsite, you will have to pay for parking at the parks (one time per day, if you have Park Hoppers) and that is a $15 charge per day. That would take your $80 - $90 per day cost up to $95 - $105. It may not be much, but could turn the tables for making a decision between offsite and a Value resort onsite.

Also, onsite guests can enjoy Extra Magic Hour(s) [EMH], which would give you opportunity for more time in the park(s)

If you stay onsite, you could take advantage of the resort transportation and, if you want to go to Universal, you could rent a car for the one day (or so) that you want to go over there or take a taxi. AND you could take advantage of Disney's Magical Express [DME] that would allow you to check your bag(s) at the aiport and not have them delivered straight to your room without having to go to baggage claim when you arrive.

However you end up doing it, enjoy your trip!!!