PDA

View Full Version : Golf cart rental at the cabins?

Disneysoccermom
12-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Hi,
We are planning our 2014 trip (sept 6) and are staying at the Ft. Wilderness Cabins for the first time. I'd like to know about the golf cart rentals.

How far apart is everything, is the golf cart really necessary? We'll be a party of 7 (only 2 adults) so we'd need 2, right? What about the baby, would someone just hold her - is that even allowed?

And how does it work - we rent for our duration & park it overnight at our cabin (how does it charge?) or do we pick it up & return it daily? Would we need to use it to get from our cabin to the bus stop or mk boat ramp? If so, do we just leave it there for when we return?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for any help :)

1DisneyNut
12-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Fort Wilderness is a huge spread out resort. There are internal buses that take you to the Outpost, Settlement and Meadows so you really don't need a golf cart. However, it is much quicker and more convenient with one. You don't have to wait on an internal bus to get to the boat or park buses, just jump in your golf cart and go. Plus it is fun to just ride around the resort in a golf cart. It is really just a personal preference on whether to get one or not.

There is an electrical plug at the end of the cabin in front of the parking space for charging the golf cart. You keep them overnight and the duration of your stay. You pick them up and return them at the bike barn which is located at the Meadows in the middle of the resort.

With 7 people you would probably need 2 carts but there is a bench seat in the front and back. The back seat is facing backwards on the back of the cart. With children, you might could all fit on one but I am not sure what the capacity is for one cart. Seems like we had 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 2 small children once when we had one and didn't have any problems fitting on one.

You can drive it to the Settlement where the MK boat launch is located as well as a bus depot for some parks and to the Outpost for the other buses (I can't remember which parks are Settlement depot and which are Outpost depot). There are parking areas with plugs for charging the carts at both locations.

You are probably wondering by now what are the "Settlement" and "Outpost." The Outpost is where you check in located at the front of the resort area. The Settlement is at the back where the lake and boat launches are located along with the restaurant and Hoop Dee Doo Review.

WDWdriver
12-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Let me add one thought to 1DisneyNut's great response. Even though your trip isn't until September, you shouldn't wait to reserve your golf cart(s). The carts are popular, and there is often a waiting list. You can reserve carts up to a year in advance at (407) 824-2742.

Disneysoccermom
12-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Thank you! That is some very helpful information!

I definitely think we'll need a cart, and it so sounds easy. With only 2 adults, a baby on a lap, and kids, I think we can get us all on one. I just didn't want to break any rules and get in trouble :blush:

I'll definitely look into reserving ours right away!
Thanks again

1DisneyNut
12-12-2013, 12:14 PM
One cart will most likely work for you. One other thing I just thought about, only licensed drivers 16 and older are allowed to drive the golf carts. So if you have any teenagers say 13-15 that start wanting to go for a drive, they aren't supposed to drive them.

Disneysoccermom
12-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Oh, absolutely! Our family has a large ranch, with many motorized vehicles - 4wheelers, golf carts, gators, etc, and almost every family member has been hurt. From broken backs to removed toes, stitches to bruises. Just this Thanksgiving, my young nephews had an accident on a golf cart - one got 5 stitches in his head, one broke a growth plate in his leg, and the oldest - a 13 y/o driver had some torn ligaments in his ankle.
My kids are absolutely NOT allowed to drive those machines or ride with a child. It's just too much temptation and way too risky, not to mention against the law and the ER can call CPS!

faline
12-19-2013, 06:59 PM
I would definitely check on capacity for one. i've heard that they are prone to tipping if overloaded. Also there are off site locations that may rent at a lower cost than Disney. You can rent for multiple days so you do not need to return the carts daily.

I have stayed in the campground a number of times and have used Disney transportation without renting a cart and have not had any issues getting from point a to b. Having a cart is a personal choice - not a necessity, in my opinion.

Goes4FastPass
12-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Faline is right. it IS possible to stay at at cabin without a golf cart.

YES, you can pile 7 on the cart with front seat being adult 1 being the driver and adult 2 holding the baby and, if you can manage it sammest child in between adult 1 and 2. That leaves 3 kids on the back seat faceing backward. There's room but they will need to be able to hang on.

ALTERNATELY, you could request to have a cabin NEAR A BUS STOP and that makes not having a golf cart easier.

Bytheway, we've had 100% satisfaction renting a golf cart from an offsite supplier.

joonyer
12-30-2013, 02:11 PM
No doubt the golf carts are fun to use. But the cost is high in my opinion. $79.00 per day.
For a five day trip, that's about $400.00. We camp (pop-up camper), and that's more than the cost of our campsite rental!
We just couldn't justify spending that kind of money for the extra convenience over using the buses or walking. Especially when we spend 16 hours a day at the parks anyway. Yes, we are tired when we get back from the parks, but we have never had to wait more than 10 minutes (usually less than 5), for one of the internal buses.
If money was no object for us, we'd be staying in a deluxe hotel on the monorail anyway. We love camping, but we stay at Fort Wilderness to save a little money.