PDA

View Full Version : Zawadi's Safari To The Magic (Day 2/7)

Zawadi
12-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Sun 08 Dec 2013 - Hollywood Studios
After yesterday being my most non-magical day in Disney, since we first came in 1998, today is a new day and things can only get better!

We woke at 06:30 after a very quick 5 hour sleep. We were a bit more awake so unpacked before getting ready and heading to the Mara for a Bounty Platter breakfast. The syrup for the waffle was so sweet I think it counted as my "spoonful of sugar".

We had FP+ for ToT, GMR and TSMM. Sunset Blvd was heaving as we fought our way to ToT. Stand by was 40 mins but FP window was now. We tried our cards and sure enough got a "ride now" Fastpass. At the entrance we presented our MagicBands and the scanners went GREEN. My goodness it worked! As we walked up, we noticed that the stand by line was looping around the bowling green. I hadn't seen that section of the line used in years. On exiting ToT, we got another Fastpass for it before using our "ride now" one.

This is where the new system is crazy. We had managed to ride ToT twice in less than the stand by wait time! My selfish alter-ego was not complaining.

We meandered towards GMR and used our second FP+. Again it worked. We were now in between FP times so tried out the Disney app on my phone, in aircraft mode but with the wifi enabled. (Aircraft mode was meant to turn all of the phone's transceivers off). The app was working and found out that we could get old FP for Star Tours.

After ToT and Star Tours it was time for TSMM. Ah! FP+ refused us. However, I've got my phone as proof! Still had to stand out of line as I waited for the app to download the data. I said to the CM that a full house of successful scans was optimistic and she knowingly smiled. But 2 out of 3 ain't bad and better than yesterday!

The standby for TSMM was 105 minutes. It appears that the rides are now running on Fastpass only which is crazy!

After Star Tours we left to explore the Christmas decorations at the Boardwalk and Yacht & Beech hotels. Ranking: 1st Carousel @ Beech, 2nd Mountain scene @ Yacht, 3rd Gingerbread shop @ Boardwalk. However, we could not leave without each getting a cup containing a double scoop mint choc chip ice cream from Beeches & Cream.

Our final stop of the afternoon was the World of Disney store in order to collect our gift card. Walking through the Marketplace the temperature was more like September rather than December. We had to admire the composure of the CM at the WoD information desk. The lady in front of us was carrying her baby, which decided to show us all how strong its stomach muscles were.

We returned to Jambo House to change before walking to Sanaa for diner. The African spiced New York Strip and Lamb Shank were delightful. Our server laughed when he tried to hand us the desert menus as we both ordered the trio sampler before he could hand the menus over.

Finally it was back to Hollywood Studios to see the Dancing Lights. As we were walking we heard another first. Fantasmic was full to capacity!

We were running out of steam and decided not to stay for the 8-10 EMH. We returned to the AKL and it was lights out by 21:30.

yjgirl32
12-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Glad to hear your day went better. Thanks for sharing.

emerzmom
12-10-2013, 03:10 PM
You can get "old style" fast passes even when you use Fast Pass+ ??? I thought I read you couldn't do that...or was it "should not" do it as to give other guests access??? Just curious.
Glad you had a better day.
:tink:
Julie

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Sounds like a decent day thanks for the report

KylesMom
12-12-2013, 02:56 PM
I am so glad that your experience today was the total opposite of what you first encountered upon arrival! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the rest of your holiday goes smoothly. Thanks for all the details! :mickey:

faline
12-17-2013, 06:47 PM
As I understand, the regular fastpass system still works for most resort guests. However, some resorts have disabled this option.

Glad things worked better for you today. Sounds like the park was really busy!!