PDA

View Full Version : The Mickey Bus

k10
12-03-2013, 12:48 PM
We have this joke that we may get picked up by the Mickey Bus if we don't run the 1/2 Marathon fast enough in January '14.

From your experience, is it true? Do they pick people up?

Another question for slow runners: How long does it take you to finish a 1/2?

As a 1st time-EVER, I appreciate any feedback on these questions. :walk::walk::walk:

cer
12-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Yes, it is absolutely true that you will be picked up for not making pace.

You second question is difficult to answer. If you figure the 16 min pace they require, you must be through the course in 3 hours and 28 minutes. That is the absolute slowest you can go...but I have seen people walk marathons at this pace.

Are you training?

k10
12-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for confirming.

Training - yes! Since June. My pace is about 13min/mile. Feels so slow!!! And where this is the first one I've ever done, I really want to cross that finish line and get that medal!

badkitty
12-03-2013, 01:51 PM
I concur with exactly what cer says.

Let me give you way more information than you've probably asked for. I've done four halfs at Disney and I've noticed in the past folks coming in way over four hours. How do they do that if the pace is 16min/mile you may ask? Well, the 16:00 pace clock "starts" (so to speak) when the last runner steps across the start line. Many runner/walkers have been in earlier corrals which gives them a buffer. These folks may be placed in the wrong corral or slow down during the race and be slower than 16 min/mile. This has caused a lot of concern for faster runners behind the slower group. This is why runDisney has started "proof of time" for all runners finishing under 3:15 for the half. This supposedly will put the slower runner/walkers in the last corrals. (Keep in mind this now removes the buffer.)

Also, it appears certain areas are targets for pacing and sweeping. You could be at a 16:30 pace at mile 8 and get swept but be at a 17:00 pace at mile 11 and be allowed to finish. It just depends on where you are in the pack of runners and areas that need to be cleared of runners for normal operation.

It is recommended to train at a 15 min pace. I suggest for folks at this pace, limit your stops, especially for pictures. You would have little time for bathroom & photo stops. It is alarming how much time the lines for these eat up. It is also important to consider the weather as a factor since warmer weather and humidity may slow you down. (It does me.)

A neat feature at the races is the "balloon ladies". I've never seen them but I hear they carry balloons and pace right at 16min/mile pace from the last corral. Stay ahead of them and you will not be sweeped off the course. That is what I hear anyway.

I hope this helps. Good luck and happy training!

k10
12-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Thank you for that information! That was a lot to take in and I'm glad you shared.

I assume I'll be in the last corral, b/c I put my proof of time as the max, to be as honest as possible and not get put into the wrong corral and hurt someone by be so slow. Or get myself hurt!

I am so so excited for this event. Just over a month left to keep up the training and pick up the pace. When I first started, I was over a 16min mile. So maybe by 11/1 I'll be down to a 12 min!!! Here's hopin'!:party:

clausjo
12-03-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm a slow runner and finished my first half marathon last year - the Wine and Dine. I averaged around a 15 minute/mile pace. I started in the last corrall. I never saw the balloon ladies or the sweepers. I worked my way to as close to the front of my corrall as I could, didn't stop for any pictures and only stopped once for the bathroom in Animal Kingdom where there was no line.

Last month I did the Wine and Dine again. It was much more humid than the prior year and I finished with a slower time, so I agree with BadKitty about the warmer weather. But again, I never saw the balloon ladies or the sweepers.

I think that if you continue your training and maintain your pace you should be good.

Good luck to you! Crossing that finish line is a truly amazing experience!