PDA

View Full Version : Just back. Some observations! Check in and MagicBand problems.

buzznwoodysmom
12-03-2013, 12:22 PM
We got back from Disney on Saturday. I will do trip reports later, but here were some observations. Mainly about FP+ and MagicBands. I will break it up into separate posts since it's gonna be long.

Checking in and MagicBands
First off we had 5 rooms total. I was the only one to do online check in. My room was the only room not ready when we all checked in between 11-1ish.

When checking in I asked if anything needed to be done with our MagicBands and I was told no that we were all set. Then I spoke with other family members who told me that each of their bands were scanned to make sure they were all activated. So I went back to the front desk and was sent to concierge. I ended up waiting at least 20-25 minutes for my turn, then another 20-25 minutes getting my bands sorted. Plus the 20 or so minutes it took at check in. So much for online check in making things go quicker. It ended up taking over an hour from the time I stepped into the online check in line till I finally had everything sorted. Or so I thought.

At concierge I was told that it was a good thing I came back to have the bands scanned as two of our bands had to be "reset".

When our room was ready we tried all our bands to make sure they all worked. One band did not work to open the door. And 3 of our 5 Key to the World "back up" cards didn't work either. I made a call to the front desk and was told the only way to fix the problem was to go back to the front desk.

The front was a mad house so we opted to wait till after our dinner to go back. In the end after being at the resort for 6-7 hours I had been to the front 3 times and spent over an hour and a half at the front getting the bands fixed. When we returned to have my mom's band fixed and get the 3 key cards reprinted they had to fix yet another problem because even tho my son's band worked to open the room door his name didn't show up on the reservation at all at that point. In the end we got a $136 credit to the room for our time, and thankfully that was the last time we had issues that had to be taken care of at the front desk.

cer
12-03-2013, 12:47 PM
A rough start.... :(

Glad it was straightened out and that you were compensated for the great inconvenience.

KylesMom
12-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Oy vey - these are the very problems that you hope to alleviate by doing online check-in! I am afraid I would have been a fairly disgruntled guest after all that runaround. I am thankful that you did not have to return after that to the front desk.

I am sure that was not your original plan, Denise! Hopefully the glitches are gone and it's smooth sailing from here on :mickey:

faline
12-04-2013, 07:29 AM
That's horrid!! If a system is being introduced, one would hope it is no longer that buggy!! Glad you got things sorted out and even received an offset for your trouble!!

joonyer
12-04-2013, 11:16 AM
A good example of what can happen when there is too much technology, too fast. New technology can be a wonderful thing, but sometimes it gets away from us.

I actually enjoy staying at old-fashioned hotels where you still use a metal key to open the door. Maybe it's just enjoying nostalgia, but you don't ever have to go back down to the front desk because your magnetic/electronic key quits working. :)

buzznwoodysmom
12-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Just wanted to clarify, since someone asked me. We did not ask for any compensation.

I did complain that I was annoyed at the fact it had taken 3 trips to the front desk, and over an hour an a half to get our bands working properly. I also expressed that I hoped there would be no more problems because I really didn't want to spend anymore of my vacation time with guest services.

I thanked them for their help, wished then a good night, and went on my way. When I got back to the room DH told me someone had called the room to let us know they were applying a half day resort room credit.

yjgirl32
12-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Wow what a bad start. Hope the rest of the trip went smoothly.