PDA

View Full Version : WDW Weather Forecast - December 31, 2013 - Jan 16, 2014

Strmchsr
12-01-2013, 02:19 PM
I'll update this first post each day with the forecast (though I'll occasionally miss a day), both long and short term. As a general rule, up to 7 days is a pretty accurate forecast, beyond that it's educated guessing and largely dependent upon how well the models are doing at that moment, which is why I call it "voodooland." If you have any specific weather questions or comments, even if it's for an area other than WDW, please post and I'll answer throughout the thread. I'll also post weather tidbits every so often. If you want to see the exact conditions for your travel dates over the last few years, go to our historic weather page in Info Central here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/weather/dailytemps.asp). Without further delay, let's get to the forecast:

Weather at WDW - Update Tuesday pm, December 31, 2013
:newyear: to everyone!! It's hard to believe this is the last forecast of 2013, but here we go.

We have a very tricky forecast coming for the next few days as there is some model madness going around with both temps and rain. Today is dry with a high of 69-70. Tomorrow will be 70-72 with a 50-50 chance of seeing a shower. There will be plenty of rain around tomorrow, but it will be hit and miss so no all day or heavy rain. Thursday looks like it will be 71-73 with conditions dry in the morning and then 3-4 hours of rain and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Now, the tricky part is the exact movement of this low. If it goes a little further north then WDW's rain chances go down significantly. If it comes just slightly further south then you could see a ton of rain. So, be prepared for the rain on Thursday and hope it doesn't happen. Friday should be dry, but cool with a high 57-59. Saturday through Tuesday looks dry. Saturday's high will be back to 68-70, then 72-74 for Sunday. Monday is another tricky day and we'll have to see how it plays out. The GFS is pretty warm with a temp in the mid 70s, but the Euro is MUCH colder with a high in the low 50s. Right now I'm going with a high around 65 mostly to split the difference and we'll have to see how much cold air actually comes south over the next couple of days. Tuesday will be similar.

Long range...Jan 8 looks clear and back to the mid 70s ahead of a front, but Jan 9 looks quite stormy. Jan 10-11 are dry with highs in the upper 60s, but Jan 12 sees rain again. Jan 13-16 looks dry again with a high around 60 for Jan 13, mid 60s for Jan 14-15 and low 70s for Jan 16.

Travel Impact :plane: :truck: :drive:
No major delays today or tomorrow, but Thursday will be a different story. It looks like because of the position of the low places like New York (state) and most of New England could see snow and some issues developing earlier in the day. However, most of NJ, PA, MD, and DC won't see issues until later in the day. NYC is really right on the edge so is a coin flip at the moment.

Any of you who are nervous about flying, especially related to turbulence, go here (http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Turbulent-air-travel-nothing-to-fear-4058671.php) and here (http://www.askcaptainlim.com/-fear-of-flying-flying-48.html) to learn a lot about turbulence and other issues that sometimes cause anxiety when flying. Hopefully all of this will help you relax and enjoy the trip to WDW more!

SurferStitch
12-02-2013, 08:07 AM
AH-MAZING!!

Looks like we'll have gorgeous weather for our trip!! Yay!!

:joy::yay::party2::stitch:

Ms. Mode
12-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks Chris! We have now entered voodoo land! My DH has had me watching for the past two week...LOL :D

cuteduck223
12-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Hooray! We entered voodooland! :)

Buttercup
12-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Sorry everyone.... I'm coming down for RunICOT and I seem to have a curse that I bring the cold weather with me. :snowball:
For the past 6 or 7 years, all of my trips have been chilly or downright freezing. It's my fault if this Voodooland pans out and we're in the 60's.
:blush:

AgentC
12-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Sorry everyone.... I'm coming down for RunICOT and I seem to have a curse that I bring the cold weather with me. :snowball:
For the past 6 or 7 years, all of my trips have been chilly or downright freezing. It's my fault if this Voodooland pans out and we're in the 60's.
:blush:

Those of us who live down here thank you for giving a chance to wear our jeans and long sleeve shirts. :)

Jared
12-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Chris, may I bother you with a weather forecast unrelated to Orlando, Fla., and Walt Disney World?

My wife and I are scheduled to begin our honeymoon with a flight from EWR to SFO on Thursday morning at 7:50 a.m. I understand there is a possibility of a rather large snowstorm for that day, depending on a variety of factors. I understand the situation is still very much in flux, but I'm wondering what your expertise says about the timing and severity of this potential event. Do we have a decent chance of getting in the air?

Any help you could provide would be, as always, much appreciated.

Strmchsr
12-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Do we have a decent chance of getting in the air?

Hey, Jared. You're right that things are in flux. The models backed off the severity slightly this morning and the timing seems to be Thursday afternoon or evening. So, I'd say you have a fighting chance of getting out since you're leaving early. The timing of the system will be critical but at least what I'm seeing this afternoon you have a chance.

Jared
12-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Hey, Jared. You're right that things are in flux. The models backed off the severity slightly this morning and the timing seems to be Thursday afternoon or evening. So, I'd say you have a fighting chance of getting out since you're leaving early. The timing of the system will be critical but at least what I'm seeing this afternoon you have a chance.
Well, you know I'm going to have to bother you now for the next couple days. :)

The local radio stations are also now saying that the worst of it will come later in the day. Flying out of a United hub means there should be aircraft available, so at least I don't have to worry about that.

Strmchsr
12-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Well, you know I'm going to have to bother you now for the next couple days. :)

It's no problem at all!

Dulcee
12-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Well this all looks great for DH and I. Hopefully the colder weather in the northeast doesn't impact the in-laws too much. They're flying out of EWR on Friday afternoon!