PDA

View Full Version : Flash Drives?

gottaluvtink
11-25-2013, 02:13 PM
I have heard of the flash drives being sent to people who have upcoming vacations. I am going in January, but have not received one. Can anyone tell me exactly what they are and what purpose they serve?

faline
11-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Are you talking about Magic Bands? These are not flashdrives but are bracelets with technology that allows it to serve as your room key, park tickets, dining, and fastpass+ card.

gottaluvtink
11-25-2013, 02:17 PM
NO. I have customized the magic bands. These are actual flash drives being sent to people with upcoming trips. A friend posted one on Facebook. I guess I will have to see after she checks it out.

faline
11-25-2013, 02:44 PM
I haven't heard of this - any idea what is on the flash drive?

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-25-2013, 03:13 PM
I don't know all of the details, but I've heard that they contain the "welcome package", with information about MagicBands, etc.

If anyone has received one, I'd love to hear the details.

DizneyFreak2002
11-25-2013, 03:14 PM
I have not heard about flash drives being sent to people who have booked a vacation to WDW... As faline said, the only thing they are sending to people are the Magic Bands... What did your friend say is on the flash drive?

PopPhan
11-25-2013, 03:42 PM
I have seen a photo of one....It is a white representation of the Mickey head RFID readers at the parks. I do not know the capacity of the drive, but it comes with the Edna Mode video from the MDE page. I do not know if that is all that is on the drive.

They started sending them out about a week, or so, ago. I did not get one with my MagicBand package (for my trip next week)

Just snurched this from another site:

The sturdy presentation box is slightly larger than a VHS tape and contains a welcome brochure, as well as fun flash drive shaped like the MyMagic+ logo. The flash drive contains two two-minute long videos featuring Incredibles character Edna Mode. In video one, Edna describes MagicBands, and in video two she shows you how to use My Disney Experience. This welcome box appears to be an attempt to educate guests about the new technology being used in the parks and resorts.

There are photos on the site of the new packaging and the drive --- It lights up neon green when plugged in, in the dark!! LOL

gottaluvtink
11-25-2013, 03:42 PM
She is going to check it out and let me know. I am hoping I receive one since we are traveling at the same time. I will be sure to let you know what is on it. She is the second person I know to receive one, so they are definitely sending them out.

mickclub1955
11-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Got one Friday (My trip is Jan 7-12).It came in a box with the Incredible's on it for my family's vacation and a little booklet. All that is on the flash drive when you hook it up to the computer are two Edna Mode videos that are on MM+ website with her computer side kick explaining everything about MM+. I had already watched the videos before I received this. Thought it was neat until I plugged it in, then thought that it was a big waste of money. I hope that this answers your question. The booklet just goes through the theme parks and reminds me to remember the day we arrive. That reminder peels off and is a magnet that can be placed on my fridge.

VWL Mom
11-25-2013, 07:37 PM
We got ours last week too. Not sure what they were thinking, didn't strike me as an excitement builder.

IloveJack
11-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Paige (PrincessFromTN) got one this weekend for her trip in Jan. We decided she should watch it then delete it and use it for her own files. Or, because it lights up, keep it plugged in and use it as a nightlight for her upcoming DCP room. :-)

DizneyFreak2002
11-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Got one Friday (My trip is Jan 7-12).It came in a box with the Incredible's on it for my family's vacation and a little booklet. All that is on the flash drive when you hook it up to the computer are two Edna Mode videos that are on MM+ website with her computer side kick explaining everything about MM+. I had already watched the videos before I received this. Thought it was neat until I plugged it in, then thought that it was a big waste of money. I hope that this answers your question. The booklet just goes through the theme parks and reminds me to remember the day we arrive. That reminder peels off and is a magnet that can be placed on my fridge.

Thanks for the info... This is honestly the first I heard/read of this... Sounds like a complete waste... If you need to include flash drives to demonstrate how these things are used, that right there should tell you how horrible this program truly is to the guest...

disneygoofball
11-25-2013, 10:55 PM
We just got one. It's kind of cool looking, but just came with two links to websites. It's a 4GB drive, though, so I'm deleting the files and then using it for my own stuff. MY stuff, not DH's stuff. I've already informed him the fun new Mickey toy is mine. ;)

Princess from Tennessee
11-26-2013, 11:03 PM
I did get one, actually we got two because we have two rooms. :mickey: It was just two short videos from Edna Mode about what the magic bands do.

PopPhan
11-27-2013, 10:10 AM
For first-timers and those who are not fanatics (as we all are here on INTERCOT) this is not a bad idea. Sometimes we tend to take for granted that we know pretty much all that is going on with/about Disney Parks and that there are some who only know that they are booking a package and visiting.

10 years ago, I would have been overjoyed to have even something simple like that for my first visit. Yes, I was THAT green! :D

To us, this may seem simple, a bit funny, and a waste of money, but to newbies it may be a godsend (or not...Who am I to know?)

ginger19
12-01-2013, 05:02 PM
I just got one as well. the booklet was specific to my stay with dates but also my resort. The usb is the cutest flash drive and it was just a quick demo which i think is helpful if you don't keep up on those things like those of us here do.

gottaluvtink
12-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Got mine also. Not a big deal but it is very cute!

whymsycalwitch
12-17-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm glad to have seen this thread. I wasn't sure what the point of the flash drive was other than being cute & the oooh aaahh light up factor. I was planning on wipping it clean & using it for myself but wasn't sure if I could. Glad to see others are doing the same thing so I will get right on that when I get home. Maybe use it to store my Disney vacation photos.

Mitzie
12-17-2013, 10:14 AM
We got ours yesterday for our trip in April. Like others have said it is an informational thing. I too think for newbies it would be handy. The magnet that peels off the back list our important dates..when our final payment is due..when we can book FP+ and things like that.

TinkerbellT421
12-30-2013, 05:45 PM
We got two, one for each reservation (we have a split stay this trip). Deleted the files and saving to use for our own personal stuff, if it's free it's for me! I personally think they did this for people that probably haven't even heard about the fact that Disney has done this. Not everyone is on Intercot to know all the juicy new details of Disney bits and news :mickey:

nls721
12-31-2013, 04:43 PM
I just got mine today and my trip isn't until September! I made my reservation a couple months ago but just linked in MDE last week. I'm wondering if that's what triggered mine being sent.

goofy89
01-01-2014, 03:19 PM
I just got mine today and my trip isn't until September! I made my reservation a couple months ago but just linked in MDE last week. I'm wondering if that's what triggered mine being sent.

Same! My trip is not until October! I too made my reservations months ago but just recently linked to MDE. I think you are right and that is what triggered it.