PDA

View Full Version : Holiday drama. Calgon take me away!!

Tiggerlovr9000
11-25-2013, 11:11 AM
We are having ours thanksgiving today and my oldest dd doesn't want youngest dds boyfriend to come. She is staying in her room. Youngest dd is mad that she doesn't like him. She doesn't like him because he used to be friends with her ex.I won't uninvite him. All so stupid. We have always taken the approach to always be polite to who ever our kids are dating. Any suggestions? It's annoying when I am happy and everyone else is grumpy. Couldn't they pick another dwarf?

MNNHFLTX
11-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Ah, the teenage years--all the drama and angst. If it were me I'd let the older daughter stay in her room but tell her too bad on having any Thanksgiving dinner. Actions have consequences.

Good luck with however you work it out.

Disney4us2
11-25-2013, 11:41 AM
No advise... good luck. I will take your drama over my current drama;)

Tiggerlovr9000
11-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Ah, the teenage years--all the drama and angst. If it were me I'd let the older daughter stay in her room but tell her too bad on having any Thanksgiving dinner. Actions have consequences.

Good luck with however you work it out.

You would think teenagers, but they are 24 and 21. They both live at home so they can pay off some debt. 24 year old has medical bills and student loans. I did tell her that we would miss her at dinner.

Tiggerlovr9000
11-25-2013, 11:45 AM
No advise... good luck. I will take your drama over my current drama;)
Me too, thanks for helping me put things in perspective. Sorry about your health issues Marci.
Sending lots of hugs and prayers to you and Jessica.

SurferStitch
11-25-2013, 11:46 AM
I agree... If your older DD wants to act like that, let her stay in her room. If she wants to eat, she can come out. I definitely wouldn't give in to her and serve her or let her eat in her room. DD 1, Mom 0.

I know with my mom, if I had acted like that, not only would I have had to eat at the table with everyone else, I would have had to sit next to the boyfriend I so much hated... AND I wouldn't have been able to say boo about it. :thumbsup:

Good luck!!

d_m_n_n
11-25-2013, 11:54 AM
I know with my mom, if I had acted like that, not only would I have had to eat at the table with everyone else, I would have had to sit next to the boyfriend I so much hated... AND I wouldn't have been able to say boo about it. :thumbsup:

Good luck!!

If she were younger, I would definitely go with this. As old as she is, I would almost tell her to leave the house to return when company is gone. Good luck!!!

caryrae
11-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Youngest dd is mad that she doesn't like him. She doesn't like him because he used to be friends with her ex.

Is that pretty much the only reason, that he used to friends with her ex? Is the boyfriend a nice decent person.

Disney4us2
11-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Me too, thanks for helping me put things in perspective. Sorry about your health issues Marci.
Sending lots of hugs and prayers to you and Jessica.

Thanks Tracey,

Good luck with your situation. Hope it all goes well.:hug:

Tiggerlovr9000
11-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Is that pretty much the only reason, that he used to friends with her ex? Is the boyfriend a nice decent person.

He has a job and his own house. She says he treats her good. Its a new relationship..oldest dd says he is from her old life. Assume he has grown up too.

MNNHFLTX
11-25-2013, 02:10 PM
You would think teenagers, but they are 24 and 21. They both live at home so they can pay off some debt. 24 year old has medical bills and student loans. I did tell her that we would miss her at dinner.Oops, sorry. :blush:

Then this:
If she were younger, I would definitely go with this. As old as she is, I would almost tell her to leave the house to return when company is gone. Good luck!!!

1DisneyNut
11-25-2013, 03:02 PM
She is acting like that at 24? lol I thought you were going to say maybe 15. I would tell her it is time to grow up and she can just stay in her room or hit the bricks. I wouldn't concern myself with it very much.

disney obsessed
11-25-2013, 08:31 PM
I would tell her that while she is my child she may not act like one - deal with it and move on.

marlyn
11-25-2013, 08:57 PM
She's 24...time to put on her big girl pants. She needs to learn that, in the grown up world, we often need to deal with situations that make us a little uncomfortable. We can't hide in our rooms whenever this happens or we may never come out!

kakn7294
11-26-2013, 04:06 AM
I say let her rot in her room. She needs to grow up and realize that she's not always going to be pleased at the people who are in her life. I can't stand my father-in-law's wife (not my husband's mother) but I put up with her and a lot of drama for my FIL's benefit. Your daughter needs to learn to do the same.

Tiggerlovr9000
11-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Thanks everyone. So my dd24 went out of town with a friend instead of joining us for dinner. So dinner was drama free and enjoyable. Hope she has a change of heart by christmas...