PDA

View Full Version : Help Pick Our Place

pcoleman
11-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Spending 8 days at SOG next August and I am trying to save as much money as I can with this trip so myself, DH and picky DD13 will only be able to do one dinner out. Trying to make decision and plan budget. Cannot decide where to eat can anyone help me? I don't like to eat at places where it is something I could just get at home. Don't want to pay Disney prices for steak, pasta or pizza. Any thoughts?

marlyn
11-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Our favorite is Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge!! If I could only pick one, that would be it!

Arielfan98
11-24-2013, 11:00 PM
I can't think of anything off the top of my head except for 50's Prime Time Cafe and Sci-Fi Dine In that fit what you requested. Both offer a 50's theme which I'm guessing is not offered at any restaurants back home, have fair prices and are perfect for a picky eater.

50's Prime Time Cafe-You are treated like "kids" and your waitress treats you like she's your mother and orders you to make the table and will baby you. The theming is fun and if lucky you'll be seated with a table with it's very own tv. Prime Time offers classics like meatloaf, fried chicken, pot roast, chicken pot pie, caesar salad. All entrees are no more than $20.99 which is fair for Disney.

Sci-Fi-Dine In-Also puts you back in the 50s, takes place in a dine in theater "parking lot" where you are seated in a dining car. The films played on the giant screen are 50's Sci-Fi films. The menu features burgers, chicken/shrimp pasta, milkshakes, reubens, salmon BLT, and ribs. Once again the prices are decent for Disney with the exception of NY Strip Steak (which is $29.99).

Hope this helps.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Ohana

DANAM
11-25-2013, 02:59 PM
I second that....Ohana! Its one price so you dont have to be concerned with who is ordering what. You know what your spending when you walk in the door.

mom2morgan
11-26-2013, 05:34 PM
My two favourites are Ohana and Boma - and both are "all you can eat" so good value for the money. For overall experience and ambience Ohana wins out - but maybe take a look at the menus for both and see what you think? (I'm not sure, for instance, that a vegetarian would be very happy at Ohana...fortunately there are none of those in my family, LOL. Then again, I could probably just eat the bread pudding :cloud9:

Jen1984
11-27-2013, 04:09 PM
I would also suggest Ohana- food is great, and you can spend a lovely evening around the Poly after- watch Wishes and the Electric Water Pageant from the beach, which will make it extra special for your family! (or you could of course time your reservation to see WIshes from inside the restaurant.)

If you're wanting more of your standard sit down meal, we also loved Kouzzina's- something for everyone in our party, and still a bit different from food we would find at home.

Hope you have a great time regardless!

pcoleman
11-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Great suggestions. I am leaning towards Ohana. I am probably the only person on earth who doesn't like Boma. I ended eating off the kids selections. I have done Sci-fi but 50's also sound good. Have stayed in 50's section at POP and DD loved it. If anyone else has suggestions please let me know.

MickeyFig
11-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Make sure you sign up for the breakfast plan at SOG - at checkin - it's a great value and will allow for a lighter lunch. If money is tight - you may want to look into their dinner plan too! :mickey:

Katzateer
11-28-2013, 08:49 AM
If you aren't big meat eaters I woud not pick O'hanas. But if you are, it is a good choice. We love the Poly but go to Kona.

For a true Disney experience the character meals are great but for the theming I love the Studios Prime Time or Sci Fi or at MK BOG.

If you aren't looking for a character meal and want different food that is good, Boma's at AK lodge has very interesting and different choices, but plenty of food for picky eaters also.

And if you want a good price for a buffet, the Fort Wilderness buffet is a lot of food for a reasonable price. Plus you can visit the barns and they even have campfires.