PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report - Universal Studios - Day 2

Middle of the Map
11-18-2013, 08:27 PM
We crawled out of bed and compared our aches and pains from yesterday at IOA. After breakfast at the hotel we made our way to Universal Studios.

Started our day with Despicable Me Minion Mayhem. Wow - that is so much fun. The pre-show is very funny and the ride is awesome. I believe it's in the old Jimmy Neutron or perhaps the Hanna-Barbera theater. You can choose seats that don't move if you get queasy. The dance party exit is fun, and there are minions ready to pose with you. This was so good, we rode it again.

Walked across the street to Shrek 4-D. Wasn't as thrilled with this show. The pre-show was long and not very funny. If you haven't seen all the movies, you will be entertained. There is a special effect that they can leave out - when the carriage is on the road, your seat vibrates up and down. Too much shaking for me.

Went up the street to Transformers The Ride 3-D. We really liked this. It's identical to the Spiderman ride. Great effects, good story, so we rode it twice. Bumblebee made a personal appearance outside and you could have your picture taken with him if you wanted.

Next was Revenge of the Mummy - wow, wow and wow. The queue is first rate. Very atmospheric and we were a little creeped out by it. The ride was AWESOME. Great story, thrills and chills aplenty. We rode that one twice as well.

Got in line for Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit coaster. I'll be honest. This coaster kicked my butt. I kept thinking that I was sliding out of the seat, and I was praying all the way to the top - don't get stuck, please don't get stuck.
Made it through without incident. It's an awesome coaster, and I would love to ride it again when they work the bugs out. I'll have more confidence about the reliability of the attraction.

Lunch - we ate a Krusty Burger washed down with a Flaming Moe. My daughter had a Duff Beer and offered me a taste. Hmmm....it's the kind of beer you would expect Homer Simpson to drink.

On to The Simpsons Ride. It's in the old Back to he Future building with the same ride vehicles. It's fine if you sit in the front row, but the view from the back is terrible and you miss a lot. They should raise the back row about two feet to give every rider a good experience.

We moved on the Men in Black. Great ride - loads of spinning, shooting fun. Rode this twice.

Lined up for Disaster: The Movie Starring You (you're welcome)... Funny pre-show where hapless guests are picked to "star" in the production. The grand finale is the train ride where all the disasters occur.

Our final attraction for the day was the Horror Make-Up Show. Got seated on the front row (the "splash" zone) and had a nice time watching some poor guest get the treatment from the hosts. Good clean gory fun.

Back to the hotel for dinner at Emeril's Tchoup Chop, then to bed.

Tomorrow we leave for home. Loved the hotel, the parks, the whole Non-Disney experience.

Can't wait to go back when the Harry Potter section is finished in Universal Studios.

Definitely recommend it for families with older children.

NJGIRL
11-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Sounds like you had another great day. Love the Horror Make Up Show.

I do love the Shrek attraction....not sure but they may have stationary seats also.

Dream'nDisney
11-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Sounds like you had fun! I can't wait to do the Minions attraction. I love those guys!

Are there any attractions at Universal Studios that aren't part of the front-of-the-line program?

NJGIRL
11-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Sounds like you had fun! I can't wait to do the Minions attraction. I love those guys!

Are there any attractions at Universal Studios that aren't part of the front-of-the-line program?

No....as of right now the only attraction is Forbidden Journey.....You should check right before you leave for your stay because it is subject to change. But probably won't change.

faline
11-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Nice trip!! Thanks for sharing!! Sounds like there are lots of changes since we were last at Universal - may need to venture over there again!

Middle of the Map
11-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Sounds like you had another great day. Love the Horror Make Up Show.

I do love the Shrek attraction....not sure but they may have stationary seats also.

Good advice. If I ever have to ride it again, I'll make sure to get those seats.

Middle of the Map
11-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Nice trip!! Thanks for sharing!! Sounds like there are lots of changes since we were last at Universal - may need to venture over there again!

We hadn't been back since 2001, and we were pleasantly surprised at the improvements.

mom2morgan
11-22-2013, 06:41 PM
LOL about the Mummy queing area - my FOURTEEN year old daughter got so wigged out that she took off running BACK through the line past all these astonished guests in full panic mode. Once she got past THAT part of it, though, she LOVED the ride and did it several times ;-)