PDA

View Full Version : Some Rumors to Discuss

DizneyFreak2002
11-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Well, a few rumors have hit the internet, and I must say, they are worthy of discussion just to point out that, if they wind up true (remember, rumors are just rumors and even if true, things change all the time in the theme park industry... so what's true today may not be true tomorrow) shows just how dumb TDO really is, and how much of a joke WDW has become.. Anyway, on to the rumors (again, from good sources, but as always, take with a grain of salt)...

We all know Imagination is closing... Everyone has heard January... but no one knows why... People assume it is for a major refurbishment, possibly a whole new Imagination pavilion... well, rumor to hit the net this weekend was, Imagination is indeed shutting its doors, but not in January like once thought... it will close in 2014 and stay closed... Why? to save on labor and maintenance costs... So no Imagination pavilion... no new attraction... no more Figment...

Soarin is rumored to be getting that third theater which has been discussed many times before... There is room for a 3rd theater, and will not be the reason Imagination is closing...

World Showcase will get a new pavilion, but not what you think... No, not another country... The open space over by Normay is rumored to become a Princess meet and greet hall, similar to what just opened recently at MK... Frozen's princesses will be the headlining the meet and greet...

Wishes will end its run late 2015, early 2016...

DizneyFreak2002
11-18-2013, 10:31 AM
OK, so those are the rumors... Which ones are likely to happen?

My opinion, I think three of the four are likely... I cannot for the life of me understand the princess meet and greet in World Showcase... I hope this one is more misinformation and the person got the information wrong... Just doesn't make sense... But then again, this is TDO... This is WDW... nothing makes sense in WDW anymore... Then again, anything princess related is right out of TDO's playbook... They cannot seem to do anything in WDW without it being tied to princesses...

As for Imagination closing, this is right out of TDO's playbook too... Closing pavilions, letting them rot... That is typical and expected....

Bay Lake
11-18-2013, 11:09 AM
If these are true, what a shame. Was really hoping for a new version of Figment and The Dreamfinder. With all the new technology they could install, who knows what it would look like.

Mrs Bus Driver
11-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Okay seems like the goal is to eventually shutdown FW and just have WS. I hate to throw the Walt's dream thing around but really, I know he was a business man out to make a profit but he also wanted to provide entertainment for the public in a safe clean environment. Come on TDO less is not more :mad:

mickclub1955
11-18-2013, 11:57 AM
sad news if it is true:(

Terra
11-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Oy! Save on labor. To have more in their pockets!! They sure seem to be booming more now, so it's not like they can't afford the labor :(
I agree it needs some kind of overhaul, but not total closure. Boo.

Meet in greets in WS. They've done a few here and there, but I don't like this addition if it's true. It will make the area seem less "worldly". We need more culture rich additions. Go to MK if you want an OD on characters.

Soarin. Doesn't really bother me either way.

By 2016, they need a new night time themed show anyway to replace Wishes. IMO, those themes/show need changed every 4-5 years anyway.

Okay, think I covered it. This may have been the most mouthy on such things that I've gotten in awhile :blush:

SBETigg
11-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Closed pavilions are such a bad move. I hope that doesn't happen, though I could see it happening. It just looks so sad to see the whole area inactive and overgrown. It's a mood killer.

PopPhan
11-18-2013, 01:54 PM
We all know Imagination is closing... Everyone has heard January... but no one knows why... People assume it is for a major refurbishment, possibly a whole new Imagination pavilion... well, rumor to hit the net this weekend was, Imagination is indeed shutting its doors, but not in January like once thought... it will close in 2014 and stay closed... Why? to save on labor and maintenance costs... So no Imagination pavilion... no new attraction... no more Figment...

OK, I can get the closure for a major overhaul - maybe gut the whole place and start fresh - but not permanent. The only reason to close it permanently would be to raze the building and put - in the words of Monty Python - something new and different in the space.

Soarin is rumored to be getting that third theater which has been discussed many times before... There is room for a 3rd theater, and will not be the reason Imagination is closing...

A third theater for Soarin' would be nice to cut down on some of the wait times. It would also allow them to rotate through the theaters for routine, and sometimes more than routine, maintenance without closing the whole thing. In the event that they (finally) get to do another 'Over California' type film, this could be a staging/test theater before rolling the film out to the other two.

World Showcase will get a new pavilion, but not what you think... No, not another country... The open space over by Normay is rumored to become a Princess meet and greet hall, similar to what just opened recently at MK... Frozen's princesses will be the headlining the meet and greet...

With the addition of the 'staged' meet and greets in the MK, I could see this as being a net positive. Cut down on the lines waiting near the different pavilions and allow for FP+ scheduling. I am not a meet and greet person, and have seen the lines around World Showcase get out of control. Certain ones even block access to shade and seating around the lagoon.

Wishes will end its run late 2015, early 2016...

It would be sad to see Wishes go, but change is inevitable and not necessarily bad. The big thing with this would be what they would have as replacement and how long it would be between shows. I really don't think MK could, or should, go without an evening fireworks spectacular.

PawleyPlatoon
11-18-2013, 06:56 PM
Closing the IMAGINATIONS Pavilion, if permanent, is indeed a sorry testament to EPCOT. By the way, exactly what or who is TDO? I haven't been to INTERCOT in a long time....working for a living can be a real drag. Anyways, I had just a few minutes to check in and I see this.

The worst thing about the changes to FW is that neither my child, son-in-law or my grandchildren will have the awesome adventures of Horizons, World of Motion, Wonders of Life, now, perhaps, IMAGINATION. I think some of us may take for granted the truly unique experiences we enjoyed at EPCOT twenty years ago or so. The closing of these famous exhibits in the name of "thrill" rides is indeed sad.

There are many things happening around us in the name of lower costs and greater profit. I absolutely do not mind anyone's earning profits through hard work...isn't that the way it's supposed to be? But at some point, we do our jobs and we do them well because we take pride in our work. The Bible asks us to do all things as unto the Lord - that is, just do your best. Where did this way of living go? :confused:

Sorry for the down in the dumps, but this just caps a rotten day called Monday. Thanks for letting me "vent" a little. I will do better tomorrow as I hope for all my INTERCOT friends.

R

DizneyFreak2002
11-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Closing the IMAGINATIONS Pavilion, if permanent, is indeed a sorry testament to EPCOT. By the way, exactly what or who is TDO? I haven't been to INTERCOT in a long time....working for a living can be a real drag. Anyways, I had just a few minutes to check in and I see this.

TDO = Team Disney Orlando, the management team which runs the resort...

waymickey
11-18-2013, 07:16 PM
No more Imagination would really stink. I don't mind the idea of making major changes but it is a great area and my family loves it. We play with the jumping water every visit to EPCOT.We ride the ride and play in the sub par playground. It is a great concept; one little spark of imagination has endless possibilities. I would love for them to make the place really imaginative. Get Crayola to sponsor it! Re-open the upstairs too!

Meet and Greet? BOO I miss the days when characters roamed the park. I understand why they can not anymore but the last thing I want is another carboard cut out meet and greet.

Soaring gettting antother theatre- great.
4 screens- make two different shows.

Wishes going- OK just make the next show just as spectactular!

NJGIRL
11-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Wow....so boring....Not impressed with any of these rumors...

Another princess meet and greet. :( (I'm not opposed to them, after all Disney and kids go hand and hand), but come on, do we really need another one.

Empty buildings at a theme park is laziness and doesn't go over well with park guests, especially with the limited attractions at EPCOT already, and the extremely long lines with their new FP+ system.

None of the new "additions" in the last years have impressed me. With all the new technology they should be hitting home runs with each change, but they are not. They just keep using the same tired old ideas. I like the Ariel attraction (it's cute) but it's just an upgraded Nemo ride. Nothing new.

The last attraction that excited me was Soarin.

Hammer
11-18-2013, 09:51 PM
What needs to happen for the Imagination Pavilion to stay open is to find new sponsorship to replace the loss of Kodak. As has been said numerous times on this board, Walt Disney relied on sponsorship for his attractions ever since Disneyland was opened. That is especially true for Epcot. The countries are fine as many get money from the host country. So long as none of the countries go out of business, they'll be fine :) . Future World relies on corporate sponsors, which are becoming more difficult to find. If I remember correctly, there are 2 pavilions in Future World without sponsors, Universe of Energy and Imagination (possibly the Seas with Nemo and Friends as well?). Probably the Imagination pavilion costs more to run.

I'm not condoning their actions; I'm just floating out a possible theory if the rumor is true. I would be interested to hear ideas for possible new sponsors for the Imagination Pavilion.

sportsguy2315
11-18-2013, 10:05 PM
What needs to happen for the Imagination Pavilion to stay open is to find new sponsorship to replace the loss of Kodak. As has been said numerous times on this board, Walt Disney relied on sponsorship for his attractions ever since Disneyland was opened. That is especially true for Epcot. The countries are fine as many get money from the host country. So long as none of the countries go out of business, they'll be fine :) . Future World relies on corporate sponsors, which are becoming more difficult to find. If I remember correctly, there are 2 pavilions in Future World without sponsors, Universe of Energy and Imagination (possibly the Seas with Nemo and Friends as well?). Probably the Imagination pavilion costs more to run.

I'm not condoning their actions; I'm just floating out a possible theory if the rumor is true. I would be interested to hear ideas for possible new sponsors for the Imagination Pavilion.

As cool as Apple would be as a sponsor (They certainly have the cash), I'm not sure how Figment with iDevices would go over.

quack arf squeak
11-18-2013, 10:17 PM
:ack: So sad to what Disneys become. Back in the eighties they seemed like they cared. Now, no more skyway, cable cars, swan boats. Just more stores and meet and greets. It's become a money grab. I think I'm done for a while.:ack:

Lindsey310
11-18-2013, 10:38 PM
If these are true, what a shame. Was really hoping for a new version of Figment and The Dreamfinder. With all the new technology they could install, who knows what it would look like.
Couldn't have said it better! My thoughts exactly. Figment and dreamfinder are a great combo and I wish they would bring the old version back :(

82 days!!! :cloud9:

BrerGnat
11-19-2013, 06:43 AM
I've heard other rumors about the Imagination pavilion that are more along the lines of bringing back the original ride and Imageworks area. I would assume any rumors of a closure are so that work can be done here. Personally, I think it is currently one of the weirdest and worst rides at WDW and I welcome ANY change there.

No on the princess M&G idea. Just...no. Enough already!

And yes on Wishes replacement. It's about 10 years overdue. Hope they bring in some of Disneyland's fireworks show elements.

Altair
11-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Personally, I think it is currently one of the weirdest and worst rides at WDW and I welcome ANY change there.

I'd still rather have that than another closed pavilion. :(

DizneyRox
11-19-2013, 07:17 AM
TDO = Team Disney Orlando, the management team which ruins the resort...
Fixed it for you...

BrerGnat
11-19-2013, 07:26 AM
I'd still rather have that than another closed pavilion. :(

Honestly, I wouldn't. We never go in there anymore so it wouldn't make a difference at this point. Although, generally, the idea of shutting down a pavilion and just letting it rot is something I'm against.

mickclub1955
11-19-2013, 07:48 AM
What about the Wonders of Life Pavilion? Are they ever going to update it? If Imagination closes, that would be two large pavilions just taking up space.

Katzateer
11-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Seems like amazing shows, fireworks, attractions are happening in other parks around the world. Do those parks make Disney that much more$$$$ than WDW?

EPCOT needs so much more in Future World. Maybe they should just build more resort space in that area and just have World Showcase. So disappointed it isn't more than what it could be.:(

A lot of walking with not much satisfaction and WOW experiences. We enter through World Showcase and don't spend much time in Future World these days.

Mousemates
11-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Fixed it for you...

subtle, but accurate.

Zippy 1
11-19-2013, 06:40 PM
:( No Figment would make me very sad. I love this character

Main Street Jim
11-19-2013, 06:58 PM
I've heard other rumors about the Imagination pavilion that are more along the lines of bringing back the original ride and Imageworks area.

The original track with the turntable was "disconnected" as the turntable had become *very* unusable by the time "JiI" debuted 2001 without Figment and without Kodak's involvement. The current length of the track is only about 2/3rds of the original; the current queue takes you right over where the turntable used to be.

And yes on Wishes replacement. It's about 10 years overdue. Hope they bring in some of Disneyland's fireworks show elements."Wishes" is only ten years old itself...LOL...I *loved* "Fantasy in the Sky" so much more than "Wishes"...

BrerGnat
11-19-2013, 07:01 PM
The original track with the turntable was "disconnected" as the turntable had become *very* unusable by the time "JiI" debuted 2001 without Figment and without Kodak's involvement. The current length of the track is only about 2/3rds of the original; the current queue takes you right over where the turntable used to be.

"Wishes" is only ten years old itself...LOL...I *loved* "Fantasy in the Sky" so much more than "Wishes"...

I know the JIYI track had been changed but I have heard that the intent is to make the ride more like it originally was. Not exactly, but along those lines.

And yeah, I never liked Wishes. That song grates on my nerves and the first time I saw it, I was over it. It's a rather unimaginative show, after you've seen what Disney is really capable of choreographing.

waymickey
11-19-2013, 09:32 PM
:( No Figment would make me very sad. I love this character

Ditto. EPCOT needs Figment IMHO!

DizneyFreak2002
11-19-2013, 09:34 PM
What about the Wonders of Life Pavilion? Are they ever going to update it? If Imagination closes, that would be two large pavilions just taking up space.

Wonders of Life will remain as is for the foreseeable future...

DizneyRox
11-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Wonders of Life will remain as is for the foreseeable future...
Seasonal?

Main Street Jim
11-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Seasonal?It's not even seasonal, and hasn't been for about five years maybe.

DizneyRox
11-20-2013, 08:06 AM
It's not even seasonal, and hasn't been for about five years maybe.
We all know that seasonal is Disney speak for, we need to close this to save some money, but the public outcry will attract too much attention, so lets list it as seasonal, guests will soon forget about it, or think they are just traveling at the wrong time. We'll eventually stop listing it on maps and such and nobody will be any the wiser!

Terra
11-20-2013, 08:25 AM
It's not even seasonal, and hasn't been for about five years maybe.

I know :( I miss it. Miss seeing the double helix. Body Wars, even the Making of Me. As corny as it was it was still so cute!!

Now you I don't even "see" the building.

Gator
11-20-2013, 04:22 PM
I really can't see Disney permanently shuttering Figment. It's too out in the open vs.WOL being somewhat off the beaten path. Plus, with a 3-D attraction in the pavillion, it doesn't make sense to get rid of it. I'll take this for what it is - a rumor.

As for Wishes leaving in about a year, I'll miss it. I've always loved it, the way it opened, the way it ended, and everything inbetween. What a great show. As long as they don't go back to something like it's predecessor (Fantasy in the sky?) which was quite dull, I'll be fine. Maybe they can do something like Disneyland and incorporate Dumbo or a back-and-forth Tink.

And I buy that they'll do a Princess meet and greet near Norway. Frozen is going to be HUGE, and they'll need to capitalize. To be honest, I can't believe it's not already up.

As for Soarin' getting a third theatre, it can't happen soon enough. Either add an extra theatre or get a new E-ticket at Epcot, and since the latter won't happen.... I was at Disneyland last week, and Radiator Springs Racers has turned Soarin' Over CA into a ghost town. I literally waited less than 10 minutes to ride. I can't do that with a fastpass at Epcot. The change there would be good.

faline
11-20-2013, 05:21 PM
II was at Disneyland last week, and Radiator Springs Racers has turned Soarin' Over CA into a ghost town. I literally waited less than 10 minutes to ride. I can't do that with a fastpass at Epcot. The change there would be good.

Even before the other ride open, Soarin' was pretty much a walk-in at Disneyland.

cvzdesign
11-21-2013, 01:03 PM
if they are going to move more StarWars into the Studios, then maybe it makes more sense to move the Muppets into the Imagination pavillion and update that. If they want to do an imagination ride upgrade, use the technology in the Mystery Manor, and Toy Story Mania vehicles and you can even bring figment and dreamfinder into it as well... Muppets have always been full of imagination... Or maybe even expand it to the world of Jim Henson and all his imaginary worlds...

Be Nice About Disney
12-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Long-time lurker, first-time poster, here to inject some much-needed logic and reason into this forum.

First of all, here's a REAL correction:

TDO = Team Disney Orlando, the management team which DOES NOT ruin the resort...

TDO is not as powerful as you think, folks.

Also, they are not the ones who write the major checks or choose the major projects.
That's actually the responsibility of the Walt Disney Company headquarters in Burbnak. TDA and TDO just operate and coordinate the operations of the parks. They do not have the power to spend a billion dollars.

Be Nice About Disney
12-17-2013, 08:46 PM
None of the new "additions" in the last years have impressed me. With all the new technology they should be hitting home runs with each change, but they are not. They just keep using the same tired old ideas. I like the Ariel attraction (it's cute) but it's just an upgraded Nemo ride. Nothing new.

I completely disagree and feel very sorry for you.

Not only are you completely wrong, but most of the new additions are actually awesome (yes, awesome). :mickey:

Be Nice About Disney
12-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Meet and Greet? BOO I miss the days when characters roamed the park. I understand why they can not anymore but the last thing I want is another carboard cut out meet and greet.

First of all, there's nothing "cardboard cut-out" about any of the newly-added character meet-and-greet locations that they've added to the parks in the last few years (Princess Fairytale Hall, Town Square Theater, Pete's Silly Sideshow, etc.)--they're all very well done and done tastefully.

Also, characters actually DO roam from time-to-time still. Not as much as in the past, but there's still those occurances.

Besides, one component of MyMagic+/NextGen is going to be more simple, unplanned character meet-and-greets, which means more opprotunities to see rare, random and/or roaming characters, just like in the old days.

Scar
12-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT!

Always good to hear new poster's opinions. Please keep posting them.

But I have to call you out on this:

Not only are you completely wrong, but most of the new additions are actually awesome (yes, awesome). :mickey:

An opinion on whether something is awesome or not, cannot be "wrong."

MrPeetrie
12-18-2013, 08:30 AM
And yeah, I never liked Wishes. That song grates on my nerves and the first time I saw it, I was over it. It's a rather unimaginative show, after you've seen what Disney is really capable of choreographing.

Thank you. I hated that song he first time I heard it. I thought I was the only one.

P.S. I LOVED Fantasy in th Sky.

NJGIRL
12-20-2013, 05:25 PM
I completely disagree and feel very sorry for you.

I guess I just have higher expectations than you when it comes to theme park attractions.

Not sure why you feel sorry for me??????

DisneyGiant
12-21-2013, 01:42 AM
if they are going to move more StarWars into the Studios, then maybe it makes more sense to move the Muppets into the Imagination pavillion and update that. If they want to do an imagination ride upgrade, use the technology in the Mystery Manor, and Toy Story Mania vehicles and you can even bring figment and dreamfinder into it as well... Muppets have always been full of imagination... Or maybe even expand it to the world of Jim Henson and all his imaginary worlds...

I completely endorse this idea! :)

If JiI is closed as well as WoL - Epcot will indeed be only a half day park. We're considering not buying the park hopper this year - because why bother hopping with the FP+ and now less stuff to do in Epcot.

So much wasted space.......

Tekneek
12-21-2013, 06:05 AM
Imagination is popular with the hardcore fans, but Disney isn't particularly interested in pleasing that crowd anyway. From a business point of view, it might actually make sense. For us, Epcot is already just a joke compared to what it once was. Is there another park at WDW that actually has less to do today than it did in 1990?

Ian
12-21-2013, 01:35 PM
I love Epcot, but I have to admit on this trip just past I was starting to question just what the appeal really is. It's actually becoming a bit like Animal Kingdom in that it's a gorgeous park with great atmosphere but man ... it's really devoid of good attractions anymore.

You can count the must-rides in Epcot on one hand and not need all five fingers.

JerseyDad
12-21-2013, 06:27 PM
I guess I just have higher expectations than you when it comes to theme park attractions.

.....would not surprise me if many other frequent WDW visitors (with repeat stays over several years) would feel the same way.

.....it seems that Disney always wanted to "one-up" the competition with the way the did things ...and ...in a way ...put themselves in the gun-sights to try and be innovative and update attractions, shows, theme park technology ...to stay on the cutting edge.

.....but ..over my past 10 years of visits ...there's definitely been a stagnation. I'd think ..if asked what the most innovative attraction added to WDW in the past 10 yrs ..I'd say, it's Soarin'. (my 1st WDW visit was in 2004) ...and then I'd have to think real hard to find something else. (mind you...I think Soarin opened the second yr we were there in '05 ...and that's almost 9 yrs ago)

....it's almost like their attitude is one which says, "We're Disney, we have a reputation ...you'll come here ....and once you're here inside the gates ...we got you where we want ....thrilled or not".

....it's getting like a casino mentality of grabbing a captive audience with glitz & expectations.

Ian
12-22-2013, 11:13 AM
I'd think ..if asked what the most innovative attraction added to WDW in the past 10 yrs ..I'd say, it's Soarin'. (my 1st WDW visit was in 2004) ...and then I'd have to think real hard to find something else. (mind you...I think Soarin opened the second yr we were there in '05 ...and that's almost 9 yrs ago)And see I would say that Soarin' is, while very enjoyable, not at all innovative. It's really just a logical extension of rides like Body Wars and the original Star Tours. In fact, long before Soarin' ever opened or anyone ever heard of it I remember my brother saying how cool it would be if they re-filmed Star Tours for IMAX.

If I had to pick I'd say Toy Story Mania. While I'm actually bored stiff of that ride and couldn't care less if I ever go on it again, I think it was a next-gen kind of theme park experience I hadn't seen done anywhere else.

This is clearly a matter of opinion, though, so it's not like my pick is right and yours is wrong or anything.

JerseyDad
12-22-2013, 12:51 PM
And see I would say that Soarin' is, while very enjoyable, not at all innovative. It's really just a logical extension of rides like Body Wars and the original Star Tours. In fact, long before Soarin' ever opened or anyone ever heard of it I remember my brother saying how cool it would be if they re-filmed Star Tours for IMAX.

If I had to pick I'd say Toy Story Mania. While I'm actually bored stiff of that ride and couldn't care less if I ever go on it again, I think it was a next-gen kind of theme park experience I hadn't seen done anywhere else.

This is clearly a matter of opinion, though, so it's not like my pick is right and yours is wrong or anything.

....next-gen or not .....I'd have to fall in line behind you as one of the 'bored stiff' crowd. We NEVER went on that until this past August when we (the wife) decided to make it one of our FP+ choices. (why? ...I don't know!! ...we got there for 10 o'clock am ride time and standby was only 30 minutes!!). So ...it was strange that the ONE time we get there with a FP in ALL the times since it's been opened ...no FP was really needed to circumnavigate a 2 hr wait!!

...anyhow ...I was far from impressed ...given all the hype I heard over the yrs since it opened. The ride was short in duration ...the 'gun' mechanism was ridiculous ...and the stairs as part of the queue ...had me baffled. A 5 to 10 yr old may like it ...but beyond that ...ehh :shrug:

....and ...the 'jerky' nature of the ride vehicle movement made my wife 'sick' ....(aka ...green ...nauseous ....feeling like she wanted to "drive the porcelain bus" ...:ack:)

....I fully understand that Soarin' had utilized pre-existing technology (IMAX) as part of it's overall design (enhanced further with other sensory technology ...movement ...scent etc) ....but ...when I walk off of a ride ...smiling like an idiot for the remainder of the day ...that attraction will be near & dear to me.

Ian
12-22-2013, 06:16 PM
....I fully understand that Soarin' had utilized pre-existing technology (IMAX) as part of it's overall design (enhanced further with other sensory technology ...movement ...scent etc) ....but ...when I walk off of a ride ...smiling like an idiot for the remainder of the day ...that attraction will be near & dear to me.Oh well based on that criteria then yes I'd agree with you, because I do the same thing every time. :D

mcjaco
01-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Oh all the meat I've heard, JII, would close for a major rehab, which included a newer Lab. Not shutter it's doors for good. They just spent a good portion of time putting lights back in the pyramids, so the close rumor makes no sense. Sounds like a hardcore fanboy just making up rumors to stir discussions.

Didn't they say at D23 Figment isn't going anywhere, and he's almost turned into EPCOT's unofficial character? My kids (15 months at the time of our visit in August), loved Figment. They wouldn't let us leave the pavilion without buying a stuffed animal. Which made me finally understand why they have all those dang shops when you exit a ride!

I could care less about meet and greets. So that one doesn't bother me.

And Wishes....I typically hit the rides when the firework shows are going on. There's no lines!

ajwgroomer
01-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Why on earth would they just let the pavilion sit there?!? I hate that! EVERYONE LOVES Horizons, they could re-open it there! That would be so awesome!!! :cloud9: If not Horizons they can find something to put there, not just leave it empty or do something stupid with it. It needs to be a ride and they need to be creative and get back to some of the "Disney magic" that we all fell in love with. Also I think they should build another world showcase pavilion like Scotland or Ireland. Something other then a meet and great and if that space isn't big enough then I think they should move the Outpost there and build a new pavilion (WITH A RIDE!!!) where the outpost is now. As much as I love the princesses, characters and Disney movies, that needs to stay in the other parks. This is EPCOT, Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow and it needs to STAY that way.

mickclub1955
01-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Why on earth would they just let the pavilion sit there?!? I hate that! EVERYONE LOVES Horizons, they could re-open it there! That would be so awesome!!! :cloud9: If not Horizons they can find something to put there, not just leave it empty or do something stupid with it. It needs to be a ride and they need to be creative and get back to some of the "Disney magic" that we all fell in love with. Also I think they should build another world showcase pavilion like Scotland or Ireland. Something other then a meet and great and if that space isn't big enough then I think they should move the Outpost there and build a new pavilion (WITH A RIDE!!!) where the outpost is now. As much as I love the princesses, characters and Disney movies, that needs to stay in the other parks. This is EPCOT, Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow and it needs to STAY that way.
Scotland or Ireland is a part of the "UNITED" Kingdom, but they do need to open a new World Showcase pavilion. Maybe Australia or Brazil.

ajwgroomer
01-26-2014, 10:27 PM
Scotland or Ireland is a part of the "UNITED" Kingdom, but they do need to open a new World Showcase pavilion. Maybe Australia or Brazil.

Ya but to me I always feel like United Kingdom is more of a reflection of England not really UNITED Kingdom. IDK it could just be me that feels like that but they could change it to England and do a Scotland or Ireland or Greece would be really neat too with the Greek mythology.

JerseyDad
01-26-2014, 10:34 PM

...though there are some decent potential choices for a new WS pavilion ...like India ...or maybe giving Africa a real pavilion .....I am more than a bit resistant of the idea. My reason could always be that I don't like "change". But ...the way I see the WS ...and the various pavilions ....is sort of like a multi-course meal. You get to one country ....become immersed ...soaking in culture, art, food, drink etc ...and then you move on to the next one. BUT ...before you get there ...a brief 'in between course" of greenery, trees ... ....like a sorbet ...is there to cleanse the palate before diving into the next main dish (country) and it's offerings.

...I think that potentially having one country after another would be a bit of sensory overload. And ...you don't get the chance to build up any excited expectations about what the next country you visit will be, or be like.

...just my 2 cents.

SBETigg
01-26-2014, 10:47 PM
And see I would say that Soarin' is, while very enjoyable, not at all innovative.

I have to disagree here. The "glider" seating, the tri-levels that load at ground level and lift, was designed by Disney Imagineering as a unique and new feature, which is now being copied and adapted by competitors. Simulators have been done, yes, but not in this way. The seating system, and therefore the attraction, fits the very definition of innovative.

(Merriam-Webster, Innovative: in·no·va·tive adjective \ˈi-nə-ˌvā-tiv\
: introducing or using new ideas or methods

: having new ideas about how something can be done)

Tekneek
01-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Soarin', when it opened in California, was innovative. When it opened at Epcot, it was but a mere copy of the original.

Ian
01-27-2014, 09:17 AM
The ride mechanism may have been innovative, but the ride concept itself was just a step up in terms of film-based simulators. A logical next step, IMO.

I still maintain that, as far as theme park rides go, it was not significantly innovative. At least not on the whole ... pieces of it yes, but overall it's Body Wars: The Next Generation. :D

SBETigg
01-27-2014, 09:46 AM
The ride mechanism may have been innovative, but the ride concept itself was just a step up in terms of film-based simulators. A logical next step, IMO.

I still maintain that, as far as theme park rides go, it was not significantly innovative. At least not on the whole ... pieces of it yes, but overall it's Body Wars: The Next Generation. :D

I agree that it wasn't a very exciting new concept. But I do love it anyway. But your statement was "not at all innovative" and I had to say, wrong on that. Maybe we can agree on somewhat innovative in execution but not on overall impression. :D But of course, we could also continue to disagree. Been there. :cool: Basically, I was avoiding my work and it was the only thread I had a comment on. Carry on.

Ian
01-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I love the ride too whether it's innovative or not. It's still a ton of fun.

I do have to amend my original statement, though, since you're right ... I had forgotten all the patents and everything they were able to get for that ride system. I stand corrected!

PirateLover
01-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I love the ride too whether it's innovative or not. It's still a ton of fun.

I do have to amend my original statement, though, since you're right ... I had forgotten all the patents and everything they were able to get for that ride system. I stand corrected!

How could you forget when the imagineer with his little erector set is the center piece of any behind-the-scenes Disney special? ;) :D

I also wanted to add a comment about the appeal of Toy Story Mania, which is 2-fold:
1) Competition. If you are someone who loves games and has a competitive spirit, this ride is SO MUCH FUN. I never get tired of being blasted in the face with air when I break a gold plate. And I tend to win, so this is definitely a ride that leaves ME smiling every time
2) Height requirements. This is literally the ONLY RIDE in that whole park that an entire family can ride, other than Great Movie Ride.

As for the rumors, at this point there really is no doubt they will now build a permanent pavilion for Anna and Elsa. Their line was consistently jumpin'.

Would hate to see another pavilion closed for good. Future world desperately needs some help. We were lucky enough to be able to experience Wonders of Life one of the last times it was open. It had already been seasonal for a while and was already off the map... it was like stepping back in time to a ghost town. Hardly anyone even knew it was open- a CM tipped us of. It was pretty eerie, but it fun to experience those attractions one last time.

Jll3Sonex
01-30-2014, 08:49 AM
.....would not surprise me if many other frequent WDW visitors (with repeat stays over several years) would feel the same way.

.....it seems that Disney always wanted to "one-up" the competition with the way the did things ...and ...in a way ...put themselves in the gun-sights to try and be innovative and update attractions, shows, theme park technology ...to stay on the cutting edge.

.....but ..over my past 10 years of visits ...there's definitely been a stagnation. I'd think ..if asked what the most innovative attraction added to WDW in the past 10 yrs ..I'd say, it's Soarin'. (my 1st WDW visit was in 2004) ...and then I'd have to think real hard to find something else. (mind you...I think Soarin opened the second yr we were there in '05 ...and that's almost 9 yrs ago)

....it's almost like their attitude is one which says, "We're Disney, we have a reputation ...you'll come here ....and once you're here inside the gates ...we got you where we want ....thrilled or not".

....it's getting like a casino mentality of grabbing a captive audience with glitz & expectations.

Stagnation's a good term for it.

I'm afraid that's kind of the way I felt the last time I was there. Instead of seeing the wonder, I was more and more seeing the flaws. Rust, needed maintenance, wear - you can get around that by dazzling the audience with innovative and new ideas, but if there hasn't been any significant changes since the LAST time you were there, your eyes will go to the flaws.

I love the idea of Disney World, but the execution was lacking at the last trip. And Epcot... sigh. Future World needs a reboot badly. The problem is that tech is changing so fast, by the time you get something amazing in forecasting the future, the future's come and gone. I remember one year there were amazing things on the Internet... and now? Hey, more room for meet and greets! :(

Maybe they need to focus on space - maybe get help from SpaceX and Blue Origins? I don't know - but it used to be amazing. Last trip it was just... meh. :(

Crow
02-01-2014, 09:38 PM
yea it needs help in Epcot..Futureworld..I still like Epcot the best cause of the countries