PDA

View Full Version : Revealing a surprise trip??

Princess2BsMom
11-17-2013, 10:35 AM
We are 16 days away from our surprise trip to WDW!! :mickey: I am so excited. We have not told our two kids (8 and 2) that we are going. I would really like to keep it a surprise as long as possible. We are driving down most of the way on our first day then waking up and driving about 2 hours the next day. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out the best way to surprise them.
Do I tell them that morning before we make the 2 hour drive?
Do I wait and let them see the Disney World entrance with Mickey and Minnie?
Do I wait and let them (the surprise is really more for the 8 year old since the 2 year old is game for anything) realize it when we pull into the resort?? (have been several times and always stay at Wilderness Lodge so the 8 year old will know as soon as she sees it)
I just can't figure out the best possible way. (And I want to be sure and catch it on video)

Any input/suggestions would be great!!
Thanks!!

vicster
11-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Wait and let them see the entrance! Wish I could see their faces - priceless.

IloveJack
11-17-2013, 04:08 PM
We leave two weeks and two hours from now, and we're telling our kids (5 and 2) that we're going to see some Christmas decorations. Then we're driving through the night, and should drive under the big "gate" at 6am or so the next morning. The plan is to ask the 5yo if she can read the sign on the way under. I fully intend to video it too.

Imalismom
11-17-2013, 04:49 PM
If you can at all stand the waiting, I'd wait until the big sign also :thumbsup:

mook3y
11-17-2013, 05:24 PM
We did a surprise trip where our kids didn't know we were going on vacation at all. The night before, we drove down to Kansas City and surprised them then with a vacation trip to KC. Then in the morning, we got on the shuttle to "the zoo". They were very confused when we got out and we were at an airport. That is when we told them. It was a lot of fun to completely surprise the kids with the trip.

We considered surprising them again this past trip, but decided that we like talking about and planning our vacation with the kids and the building anticipation as a family, so we didn't do it this time.

I have 2 thoughts about your surprise.

1) the look of total surprise when you arrive at WDW is going to be awesome! Hope you have a video camera with you.

2) if you tell them as you head out in the car, you will have a very exciting final 2 hour drive to the parks. They will still be as surprised, maybe just not as shocked, but the 2 hours will fly by discussing all the things you guys want to do as a family there.

Have a great trip!

disney obsessed
11-17-2013, 11:00 PM
We waited until we drove under the sign. That was long before the no parking sings went up. We pulled off the rode and told the to look out the front window. It was MAGICAL!

Katzateer
11-18-2013, 11:33 AM
We were able to surprise our girls one year up to arrival at airport. It was so much fun to see their excitement when they realized where we were going. If you can keep the surprise until you get to the entrance sign that would be so much fun!!:mickey: we always fly so once they saw the gate we were departing from the surprise was over.

#1donaldfan
11-18-2013, 12:04 PM
I would wait till they saw the sign !!:thumbsup: