PDA

View Full Version : Sentinel Exclusive: Disney's MyMagic+ rollout delayed

mickclub1955
11-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Sentinel Exclusive: Disney's MyMagic+ rollout delayed

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
6:25 pm, November 16, 2013

Walt Disney World's billion-dollar plan to outfit theme-park visitors with wireless rubber bracelets and get them planning more of their trips in advance has fallen behind schedule.

At a minimum, it will likely be several more months before all of the giant resort's customers can use "MyMagic+," which includes a new reservation system allowing visitors to book ride times weeks before their vacations and microchip-embedded "MagicBands" that act as all-in-one park tickets, room keys and credit cards.

Senior Walt Disney Co. executives once said they hoped to have MyMagic+ "largely" introduced by the end of the company's 2013 fiscal year, which concluded in September. But the project remains in testing and mostly limited to guests staying in Disney-owned hotels.

Disney would not provide any updated timetable last week. In a written statement, the chairman of the company's global theme-park division said he was pleased with the progress.

"From the outset, our MyMagic+ development has been focused on enhancing the experience our guests have with us. Our roll-out schedule is designed to be flexible so that we can make adjustments based on our testing and guest feedback," Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs said in the statement. "We're happy with the progress we are making, and MyMagic+ is now available to all our Walt Disney World hotel guests."

Staggs added that Disney has been making "modifications" based on the feedback it is receiving from guests during testing. "Once we're satisfied with those adjustments, we will continue to broaden the availability to our other theme-park guests."

MyMagic+ is critical for Disney, which has spent more on the project than it did in building the hugely successful Cars Land attraction at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif. Executives have said they think the project will ultimately get travelers to make more trips to Disney World and spend more time and money at the resort when they visit.

Some analysts had expected the project to begin contributing to profit growth for Disney in 2014, but that now appears unlikely to happen until at least 2015.

Although Disney didn't announce MyMagic+ until January, the project has been in development for more than five years. Disney has been incurring significant costs tied to the project for at least two years, according to regulatory filings.

One month after announcing MyMagic+, Walt Disney Co. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said it would be rolled out "over the next several months." Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo expanded on Iger's comments in May, telling analysts at a New York conference that "by the end of this fiscal year, you're going to feel like it is rolled out," though he said Disney would continue to add elements over time.

But they began to push that target back over the summer. Iger told analysts in August the project was designed for "a probable full rollout in the early part of fiscal 2014." And they have since stopped offering any specific time frames.

During Disney's year-end-earnings call earlier this month, Rasulo said MyMagic+ was "still very much in the early days of rollout."

Disney would not discuss the delay in any detail. But in discussions with analysts, executives have characterized the project as exceedingly complex and repeatedly said they intended to make sure all kinks were ironed out before beginning a wide launch.

"We are walking before we run, so that when you come down and use the service, you are going to feel really good about how it works and not experience glitches, which is our business and not the guest's business," Rasulo said in September.

In addition to taking longer than expected, some analysts suspect the price tag for MyMagic+ has climbed. Doug Mitchelson, a media-industry equities analyst with Deutsche Bank, said he initially projected spending on the project at about $800 million, but "clearly they would have to be north of $1 billion at this point in time."

Still, Mitchelson said he remains optimistic that MyMagic+ ultimately will drive the double-digit returns that Disney management has predicted. And he said Disney is wise to wait until management is "absolutely sure" the systems will work as promised.

"This is obviously one of those projects that you can't afford to get wrong, not even once. Disney's brand is so crucial — they really have one good shot at introducing this to the marketplace," Mitchelson said.

"This is a project of relatively historic undertaking," he added. "It's never been done."

MyMagic+ is the capstone of about $6 billion in capital spending that Disney has plowed into its domestic parks-and-resorts business during the past half-decade or so, a construction spree that included two new cruise ships; a rebuilt Disney California Adventure theme park; a Hawaiian hotel; and the New Fantasyland expansion and Art of Animation hotel at Disney World.

Disney once said it expected those projects would cumulatively be more profitable during its 2014 fiscal year than they were in 2013. But during its year-end-earnings call, the company changed that forecast, saying the "growth initiatives" would generate about $300 million in expenses during the current year and "more or less the same amount" in revenue.

Asked what had changed, Rasulo cited MyMagic+ costs, noting that the information-technology infrastructure Disney World has installed as part of the project depreciates more quickly than conventional attractions.

Rasulo has also said that some of Disney's other big investments — primarily the California Adventure makeover, which culminated in the 2012 opening of Cars Land — turned profitable faster than the company originally expected.

Although some of Disney's most devoted fans have been discussing and speculating about MyMagic+ for years in online forums, the company has managed to keep expectations muted among its mainstream customers, said Kevin Yee, an author who has written about Disney theme parks. That helps ease pressure to get the project done quickly.

Among those who have followed the project closely, Yee described the collective feeling as one of "trepidation." Some fans have been especially vocal about fears that MyMagic+ will sap the spontaneity from their visits by forcing more planning — fears that Yee said won't truly be addressed until the project is totally launched and being used by all guests.

"There are so many variables that the actual implementation could be really positive or it could be really negative," he said.

[email protected] or 407-420-5414

DizneyFreak2002
11-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Gee, who didn't see this happening? Was a mess when announced, was a mess before testing, continues to be a mess during testing, and will stay a mess for the foreseeable future... Disney is really going to be hard pressed to earn any of this money back from this program... Paid FP, here it comes...

Mrs Bus Driver
11-17-2013, 08:53 AM
I for one wanted this to work, liked the idea of ordering lunch and paying for it, while waiting in line. What a great idea and time saver. I don't mind making dinner reservations even 180 days out. Like planning my evenings around dinner and a show. But as I try to plan a trip for the end of January, I am having real difficulty with the idea of getting my fp's 60 days out. DD who likes to catch the first bus to come by the bus stop hated it when I tried to explain it.Then the limit on the number of headliners and the ridiculous offerings for second tier rides. No way do I want to book a ride with a 5 minute wait in the off season. Weather and plans change and who wants to be stuck with what was scheduled 60 days ago. In another thread someone suggested that we should be allowed to book our fp's when we enter the park, heck they can even keep the 2 hour booking window, that would save people from having to run all over the park for fp's. You could even book your next fp while waiting in line. Many aspects of this program can still be useful but they need to do some serious rethinking about fp's. I am hoping now that they drop the 60 day fp planning before my upcoming trip and I have one question, are heads going to roll over this?

Mrs Bus Driver
11-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Just one more thought if they want me to spend more time shopping then put things in the store that are unique to that store or park. Also better quality and lower prices. I won't spend $22+ for a tee-shirt that I can get at Wal-mart for $5. I own 2 hats that can be worn just about anywhere but both are Disney hats and I love them got them years ago and still like to wear them on trips. But on my last few trips I couldn't find anything worth while for the prices they were asking. From what I saw most people weren't buying anything either. Good customer service is giving the customer what they want and then charging them for it. Making every customer feel special so then don't mind parting with their hard earned money. I don't see why this is such a difficult concept for the Big-wigs at Disney to get, they used to understand it. Sorry about the rant but wanted to get a few things off my chest. :soapbox:

DizneyFreak2002
11-17-2013, 10:29 AM
are heads going to roll over this?

Yes, but not the ones that should... Let's look at the time frame of when Disney expects to start seeing dividends paid off for this program... 2015/2016... Just in time for Iger to walk out the door as he already announced he will leave as CEO around that time... Staggs and Rasulo may join him out the door too, but not because of this mess (providing the Board does not put Rasulo in as CEO, and if they do, kiss The Disney Company goodbye)... However, George Kalogridishas now been put in charge of FP+, NextGen, MM+ (or as some in the online community are beginning to call it, My Tragic +)... So, when this fails on the larger stage, George may be "spending more time with his family"...

Hammer
11-17-2013, 11:01 AM
While I have issues with some things in regards to Fast Pass +, I do like some components of this program. I like the bands. It made things very convenient when we were there on vacation in October, and I know from reading these boards many others liked this aspect as well. No problems charging, and after the they fixed our Annual Passes, that was great as well. When we had issues entering the park, it was due to the the finger scan. That has been an issue for years, long before this program was ever devised, so I can't blame this program for it.

I just don't want the things that are good to be taken away with the things that aren't. As the saying goes, don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

badkitty
11-17-2013, 11:43 AM
I also liked the convenience of having the bands. Swipe and go. No problem. I even liked having the fastpasses on the band. Again, swipe and go. Cool.

With that said, I still don't want to micro-manage my trip 60 days in advance. The problem as I see it, is selecting and/or changing fastpasses once in the park. As it turned out, my AP wasn't able to be linked to MDE so I had to select my FPs "day of" anyway. The lines weren't too long for the kiosks (yet) but it took a long time for people to select their fastpasses. Many guests needed help understanding the application and then there was always a group debate on where and when they wanted the FPs. That took the most time. (Once this is rolled out completely, I think they will need a lot more kiosks.) I knew what I wanted so I was done quickly and the CM said I could make changes through the phone app. Problem was, the app had a "glitch" (according to the CM it was the system and not my phone) and didn't work most of the time.

Gregandmel
11-17-2013, 04:34 PM
So do you think that the majority of the issue is mainly the FP+ ? I like the idea of the Magic Bands where all of your information is stored in one place which allows room access, park access, in-store charging, etc... but seems like it's the Fast Pass + that is really causing the headaches.

Crow
11-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Just one more thought if they want me to spend more time shopping then put things in the store that are unique to that store or park. Also better quality and lower prices. I won't spend $22+ for a tee-shirt that I can get at Wal-mart for $5. I own 2 hats that can be worn just about anywhere but both are Disney hats and I love them got them years ago and still like to wear them on trips. But on my last few trips I couldn't find anything worth while for the prices they were asking. From what I saw most people weren't buying anything either. Good customer service is giving the customer what they want and then charging them for it. Making every customer feel special so then don't mind parting with their hard earned money. I don't see why this is such a difficult concept for the Big-wigs at Disney to get, they used to understand it. Sorry about the rant but wanted to get a few things off my chest. :soapbox:

:thumbsup:

lindique
11-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Just one more thought if they want me to spend more time shopping then put things in the store that are unique to that store or park. Also better quality and lower prices. I won't spend $22+ for a tee-shirt that I can get at Wal-mart for $5. :soapbox:
I just got back from Disneyland, and I really wanted to buy a t-shirt, since I mostly go to Disney World. $22?? I would have been happy if they were "only" $22! And most of them were so thin, that they were practically see-through. I came home without any souvenirs at all - what I saw wasn't worth it. :soapbox:

Terra
11-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Yeah here at DW the adult ones are near and over $30 for t-shirts. The children's ones are $25ish. We go Highway 192 to all the gift shops and get them for $8.00 or so! I just my boy's 2013 shirts this weekend. They were 2 for $14!

I DO like and want a band as an AP. I think they could still do that. Use the band as the ticket and tie your card to it. I would like to pay by using the band. Everything in one place! Easy! You could use them still as room keys.
And they could ultimately work it to work as the "old fast pass" but paperless. You could go to a FP kiosk and swipe your band and get it, though it would have to flash a return time or something.

But this booking way out thing is ludicrous.

Kenny1113
11-18-2013, 03:01 PM
So do you think that the majority of the issue is mainly the FP+ ? I like the idea of the Magic Bands where all of your information is stored in one place which allows room access, park access, in-store charging, etc... but seems like it's the Fast Pass + that is really causing the headaches.

This was true for us. Member of our party wanted to change a FP+ because the wait was < 10 mins. She could not use the app, said she was not eligible for FP+(had booked prior to trip using website). On website could only 1- change expirience or 2- change time. Not both. So had to change time, then change expirience. Lots of time spent on phone bc website is not mobile friendly. :(
At one point we tried to use the kiosk and no one in either party was able to. All got error message. Line to speak with CM with iPad was loonngg! :(

I did like the convienince of everything on band.

I expirienced one glitch in regards to charging- for breakfast one morning my pin didn't work. Worked all day the day before and worked when I bought my kids stuff, but when I went to purchase mine, did not work. They told me I was going to have to go to lobby to correct. Manager went with me to connect me with someone and not have to wait in line.

The biggest Inconvience of the trip was with my mom. Originally DH was supposed to go placing 2 adults and 2 kids in my room and 3 adults and 1 child in the other room. DH ended up not going and we cancelled prior to the no refundable date. At check in we asked to move my mom to my room to avoid extra adult charge (she would be sleeping in my room). They informed us that she would have to be issued a new band (ie no customized color and lose FP+ choices). We didn't want this so we left her in the other room (still slept in mine) so she could not go into our room with out me or the kids (or our band). :(

CaptSmee
11-22-2013, 09:49 AM
I dont see how the magic bands are going to turn "profitable". Unless they are going to charge for the experience like Universal does. Its just a FP to me & way to get into the park & way to use my free dining credits :D I dont get it...

Mrs Bus Driver
11-22-2013, 11:52 AM
I dont see how the magic bands are going to turn "profitable". Unless they are going to charge for the experience like Universal does. Its just a FP to me & way to get into the park & way to use my free dining credits :D I dont get it...

The way it's working now they better not charge for the experience. :funny::silly:

Mendelson
11-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Soooo.... I see a true, bona-fide expert with knowledge said the cost of this was north of $1 billion.

I guess this will put an end to the fun game we've all been playing:

Intercot's Raise the Price of My Magic+

I was just getting ready to say I'd heard it was now costing $3 billion (up from the $2.5 billion that has come to be accepted on here) but now I can't.

:mickey:

doodleboy
11-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Ditto! I have stopped purchasing merchandise as well. It all seems like cheap junk I can get anywhere, and very little I would use while not on a WDW vacation.

doodleboy
11-23-2013, 06:01 PM
The way it's working now they better not charge for the experience. :funny::silly:

Of course this is headed to some sort of charge for the ability to FP. Do you really think they spent all of this $$$ to give us more for nothing? Does anyone work for a corporation that invests in programs of products so they can give it away? How do you explain that to shareholders? I can just see that annual shareholder meeting now. "We just blew over $1 billion to make it cooler and easier for the guest just because...."

BTW - I am planning what I think will be my last trip for a bit in May. I am hoping that this thing stays in testing mode until I'm done so I can sit back and see how this really unfolds in the next year or so. I think there will be quite a few changes in store for all in the near future.

Ian
11-23-2013, 08:49 PM
I have to say ... thus far, based on my early experiences trying to navigate this new mess, I'm even more firm in my opinion that it's a complete disaster.

:mad:

Tekneek
11-24-2013, 08:47 AM
I have to say ... thus far, based on my early experiences trying to navigate this new mess, I'm even more firm in my opinion that it's a complete disaster.

:mad:

The only way FP+ works well is if you pick 3 attractions way ahead of time, and are happy about your selections, and never want to change them. If you want to adjust on the go, like in response to actual crowd levels/wait times, then you're going to have a terrible time with it.

In no way is this a good replacement for the old system. It needs a redesign from the ground up. It's pretty clear they took short cuts in design to make implementation easier (which ultimately reduces the impact of the service).

CaptSmee
11-24-2013, 11:17 AM
The only way FP+ works well is if you pick 3 attractions way ahead of time, and are happy about your selections, and never want to change them. If you want to adjust on the go, like in response to actual crowd levels/wait times, then you're going to have a terrible time with it.

In no way is this a good replacement for the old system. It needs a redesign from the ground up. It's pretty clear they took short cuts in design to make implementation easier (which ultimately reduces the impact of the service).

Its too big of an investment now for them to change anything. I like the concept but feel it should be up to the user to utilize FP+ & still leave the old methodof obtaining FP bbut with a magic band. That's just my 2 cents.
& if they did start to up charge for this experience I doubt I would be using it

JerseyDad
11-24-2013, 11:30 AM
....more than just a little bit relieved that our last trip to WDW (meaning ..like ...possibly ...forever) ...was in August ..when the whole system was only in the smoldering stages. As I see it ...it's going down in flames now ...like the Hindenburg.

DisneyBarb
11-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Having just returned, I think the Magic Bands are great. However, the FP+ is not. There was nothing wrong the with the old system (in my opinion). It beats Universal (non resort staying) with having to pay and only good for one ride. However, Universal resort guest with front of the line passes is fantastic, and price considerably lower then Disneys deluxe.

Tekneek
11-24-2013, 01:44 PM
& if they did start to up charge for this experience I doubt I would be using it

I agree. I would more likely not go to WDW than pay for FP+ slots.

Tekneek
11-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Having just returned, I think the Magic Bands are great.

I second that. The bands worked very well for us and were actually quite convenient. It is a huge improvement when it comes to entering the parks, paying for items/DDP entitlements, verification during EMH, room entry, etc. I wouldn't want to go back to using KTTW cards for everything.

FP+ has a lot of potential, but it seems poor design choices will bring about its failure.

mrte62
11-26-2013, 01:35 PM

I think that we should start thinking of the bands as a way to generate multiple streams of revenue some obvious and some long-term. Folks have already mentioned covers for bands for example. Some have mentioned having more time to spend money and how that seems a bit far-fetched for those on a budget.

But what if we start thinking of all that information that is now contained about everyone's patterns of attendance, atractions, spending habits, eating etc. Disney could begin to offer "Perpetual Limited Magic". Think of it as never-ending special events that would cost Disney next to nothing. Some examples:

1) Because of your FP choices you are going to be at EPCOT on a Tuesday night at 7 pm. How about you and 50 others being offered a special snack, a pin and a reserved location to watch Illuminations?

2) You are not planning on being in a park one day during your visit. You and a small group might be offered a behind the scenes tour of your resort followed by lunch.

3) You are traveling with teenagers (or older) and you get an offer that if you rent water mice, play a round of mini golf, go horse back riding or rent a bike on certain morning, you will get 4 FP's for the MK which is open late that evening.

Think of offers being extended to hotels, resturants, attractions or shows that are not serving to capacity. I keep thinking of all the special events my DW and I have attended (and paid for) over the past few years at the Food & Wine Festival.

I know it has been mentioned before, but the cruising concept is being brought to Disney. Sure your ticket will let you in, wait in line for attractions and see the shows .... but if you want a little or a lot of extra magic, get ready to open your wallet - or should I say swipe your band. :mickey:

WiltonJohn
11-26-2013, 02:17 PM
mrte62,

If you don't work for Disney, you should.

Stuff like this is exactly why this program is in place. It is all about the long range scanning and the tracking.

That information stream can easily be turned into money. A LOT of money in diverse ways.

And as I mentioned elsewhere.... also allow them to controls some costs... again making money.

best,

.............john

mrte62
11-26-2013, 02:59 PM
I don't and not sure I would last too long ...:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
11-26-2013, 03:58 PM
OK can we please finally say and everyone admit that NGE is a complete and utter failure?????

Ian
11-26-2013, 11:41 PM
There's an article out there I just read regarding how livid Bob Iger is at the situation with NextGen. Apparently it's caused him to shut down literally every single Imagineering project underway while they evaluate just how off-the-rails MDE really is.

Heads are about to roll ....

BrerGnat
11-27-2013, 07:24 AM
The whole thing is overly complicated. That is why it's doomed. More tech with LESS steps is what the public wants. When the addition of tech makes people have to do MORE work...it's a head scratcher.

waymickey
11-27-2013, 09:37 AM
I think that we should start thinking of the bands as a way to generate multiple streams of revenue some obvious and some long-term. Folks have already mentioned covers for bands for example. Some have mentioned having more time to spend money and how that seems a bit far-fetched for those on a budget.

But what if we start thinking of all that information that is now contained about everyone's patterns of attendance, atractions, spending habits, eating etc. Disney could begin to offer "Perpetual Limited Magic". Think of it as never-ending special events that would cost Disney next to nothing. Some examples:

1) Because of your FP choices you are going to be at EPCOT on a Tuesday night at 7 pm. How about you and 50 others being offered a special snack, a pin and a reserved location to watch Illuminations?

2) You are not planning on being in a park one day during your visit. You and a small group might be offered a behind the scenes tour of your resort followed by lunch.

3) You are traveling with teenagers (or older) and you get an offer that if you rent water mice, play a round of mini golf, go horse back riding or rent a bike on certain morning, you will get 4 FP's for the MK which is open late that evening.

Think of offers being extended to hotels, resturants, attractions or shows that are not serving to capacity. I keep thinking of all the special events my DW and I have attended (and paid for) over the past few years at the Food & Wine Festival.

I know it has been mentioned before, but the cruising concept is being brought to Disney. Sure your ticket will let you in, wait in line for attractions and see the shows .... but if you want a little or a lot of extra magic, get ready to open your wallet - or should I say swipe your band. :mickey:

But they were able to do this with the old KTTWK as well. In August I was emailed an invitation to do lunch at BOG. I did not have a magic band. But I missed it because I don't check my email on vacation. I pretty go to WDW to leave the real world behind. I don't take phones to the parks or computers and I don't worry about Email .

Tekneek
11-27-2013, 09:48 AM
There's an article out there I just read regarding how livid Bob Iger is at the situation with NextGen. Apparently it's caused him to shut down literally every single Imagineering project underway while they evaluate just how off-the-rails MDE really is.

I can't figure out where all the money went. There are lots of good ideas in it, but design choices (which have caused implementation problems) are the biggest problem. The combination of that with CMs, that are so poorly trained in guest service these days, makes for a bad cocktail.

1DisneyNut
11-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Really the entire thing is a mess from the top down. They obviously didn't have a definite plan prior to implementation. That is a huge problem from the beginning with software development. Imagineering is coming up with ideas after software has already been designed and then the engineers have to go in and try to make the necessary changes which then breaks other parts. Instead of getting to the point where they have a working system, they are constantly breaking it with changes.

Another problem is, they are rolling out phases but obviously not having staff meetings to keep the CM's up to date on what can and can't be done or how to solve the problems when they do come up. Basically, we guests as their beta testers are training their employees (CM's) on how the system works and how to fix the problems (think logging in and out and repeating FP+ changes).

Then you have the rollouts where one particular resort only has bands but no cards so when there is a problem, they can't fall back to the old system. Of course, most of the CM's are oblivious to this as well.

Then there is the fact that they are forcing a system on their customers that the vast majority absolutley hate. Sure there is a small percentage that want to plan every little detail of their vacation months ahead of time but for the masses it is absolutley annoying. It is bad enough, you can't get into a restaurant without booking it 6 months ahead of time but now if you want a FP you have to book it 2 months ahead. It is just absolute insanity.

Many of us predicted this from the beginning. We have been labeled as whiners and complainers but without all the noise we have been making, they would have continued the roll out of this mess and ruined our favorite place in the world. Hopefully, our displeasure has been duly noted and they will can this piece of garbage and send a few people behind it out the door.

Melanie
11-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Many of us predicted this from the beginning. We have been labeled as whiners and complainers but without all the noise we have been making, they would have continued the roll out of this mess and ruined our favorite place in the world. Hopefully, our displeasure has been duly noted and they will can this piece of garbage and send a few people behind it out the door.

Amen! I've disliked this from the very beginning, but have felt the need to pull back on my comments. Finding out that all these wonderful Imagineering projects have been frozen in response to this epic failure infuriates me. The only positive I see from this is that hopefully this means this mess will never see the light of day at Disneyland.

1DisneyNut
11-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Amen! I've disliked this from the very beginning, but have felt the need to pull back on my comments. Finding out that all these wonderful Imagineering projects have been frozen in response to this epic failure infuriates me. The only positive I see from this is that hopefully this means this mess will never see the light of day at Disneyland.

I don't think there is even the slightest chance of this mess showing up at Disneyland. I hope it doesn't because we are going to Disneyland in July instead of going to WDW. It is completely on the other side of the country from us but we are going there to avoid the mess at WDW. If they start rolling FP+ out at Disneyland, I will cancel that part of our trip and do something else.

Melanie
11-27-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't think there is even the slightest chance of this mess showing up at Disneyland. I hope it doesn't because we are going to Disneyland in July instead of going to WDW. It is completely on the other side of the country from us but we are going there to avoid the mess at WDW. If they start rolling FP+ out at Disneyland, I will cancel that part of our trip and do something else.

It's still the nice, pure Disney experience we all love. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

DizneyFreak2002
11-27-2013, 02:33 PM

I know exactly what article you are talking about... Not mentioning the site here, but I can also tell you half of that article was complete nonsense... Projects affected are WDW only at this point, not in Disneyland... While it is possible they may wind up delaying a few of the DLR projects, they aren't downright cancelled... WDW is another story... The BoD will not free up any money for WDW until they see ROI on MyMagic... They have aimed for an 11% increase... They won't get it... Avatar and Disney Springs are not going to be affected right now, but that is right now.. Money has already been allocated..

Not only were we called whiners and complainers, we were called doomers and gloomers, from the same people who hate being called drones, brainwashed, or pixie dusters... Kind of ironic huh? They don't like being called names, but they sure do toss name calling around a lot... I remember being one of the first to question this program, calling it a failure from the start... Saying how this would impact WDW vacations... I was laughed at, mocked, told never to go back to WDW again if I hate it so much... It warms my heart to see those who attacked me now complaining about FP+ and MyTragic and how complicated and frustrating booking a WDW vacation is becoming... Seems some of us knew what we were talking about... Too bad people have an unhealthy addiction to WDW... They would have seen it before when the rest of us saw it too, and maybe they wouldn't have been so fast to attack... WDW is heading into dark days... I'm sure there will be defenders popping in here soon thought o say the parks have never been better (despite cobwebs infesting everywhere, mold growing in the monorails, recently refurbed attractions already broken), and more and more being shut down and taken away from guests enjoyment while prices skyrocket in the double digits...

The projects are cancelled or at least put on hold in WDW, excluding Avatar and Disney Springs... Remember when I put the rumor about Imagineering closing? Now we know why... It is all about cuts, cuts, cuts while charging the unsuspecting guests more, more more... WDW is in trouble despite what defenders of the rat want to say... And don't worry about Disneyland... Like I said before, the bands may be the only thing to go west... FP+ and the rest of this failure won't... If it does, DLR will become a ghost town... The locals won't stand for this stupidity...

cer
11-27-2013, 03:00 PM
... And don't worry about Disneyland... Like I said before, the bands may be the only thing to go west... FP+ and the rest of this failure won't... If it does, DLR will become a ghost town... The locals won't stand for this stupidity...

DizneyFreak,

I want to know, what (other than FP+) are you including in your phrase...."and the rest of this failure". Right now in my opinion FP+ is the greatest failure, in concept, in execution and in public relations. So, what (in your opinion) is "the rest" or are you just speaking figuratively?

Truly, I'm just curious if I am missing something more that the FP+ mess as far as the NextGen program...

DizneyFreak2002
11-27-2013, 03:47 PM
DizneyFreak,

I want to know, what (other than FP+) are you including in your phrase...."and the rest of this failure". Right now in my opinion FP+ is the greatest failure, in concept, in execution and in public relations. So, what (in your opinion) is "the rest" or are you just speaking figuratively?

Truly, I'm just curious if I am missing something more that the FP+ mess as far as the NextGen program...

MyTragic in general is a failure... This NextGen is not just FP+... it is interactive queues which have been shut down and cancelled, it is the MyMagic app... The bands... the RFID, the tracking of guests, the data mining... the technology infrastructure... it is Disney forcing you to micromanage and plan out every second of your WDW vacation... Isn't that stressful just thinking about it?

People think the bands and FP+ are all this program is... it isn't... it was and is technology infrastructure... And they have created a huge mess... While some aspects may work fine, like the bands (and honestly, I used them at the end of October, they worked fine for what they were used for), the fact of the matter is, Disney has now destroyed their technological infrastructure in WDW... All for the sake of the all mighty dollar... You can tell this program was designed by an accountant, MBA, bean counter.. and not by folks who actually know how to run a theme park/amusement park...

The goal was for an 11% increase THIS QUARTER on guest spending based solely on MyTragic... Guess what? Not getting it... Not going to see any increase or return on investment until at least 2015 (MAYBE)... The only way they can spin anything positive is by jacking up prices by double digit percentages AGAIN, and then claiming guest spending is up due to this program... Sadly, people fall for their lies and nonsense... Truth is, guests are not buying more.. They are PAYING more... Huge huge difference that some WDW fans fail to realize... (not you cer!!!)

I'm not sure how many people know this but, the Disney Infinity game works and interacts with your Magic Band... This is all part of this NextGen program... And it is a complete waste of billions of dollars...

I hope that answered your question... ;)

BrerSchultzy
11-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Disney will make the money back from the patents alone. No need to worry about that. But the money they invested in MyMagic won't be won back any time soon, and it won't go back to the parks, which means WDW loses much needed money to improve the Studios and Epcot (and let's face it, if Epcot had just two more decent attractions, FP+ problems there would be much less tragic). That said, I hope things get straightened out soon...and that they don't start chasing bad money with good.

cer
11-27-2013, 04:53 PM
MyTragic in general is a failure... This NextGen is not just FP+... it is interactive queues which have been shut down and cancelled, it is the MyMagic app... The bands... the RFID, the tracking of guests, the data mining... the technology infrastructure... it is Disney forcing you to micromanage and plan out every second of your WDW vacation... Isn't that stressful just thinking about it?

People think the bands and FP+ are all this program is... it isn't... it was and is technology infrastructure... And they have created a huge mess... While some aspects may work fine, like the bands (and honestly, I used them at the end of October, they worked fine for what they were used for), the fact of the matter is, Disney has now destroyed their technological infrastructure in WDW... All for the sake of the all mighty dollar... You can tell this program was designed by an accountant, MBA, bean counter.. and not by folks who actually know how to run a theme park/amusement park...

The goal was for an 11% increase THIS QUARTER on guest spending based solely on MyTragic... Guess what? Not getting it... Not going to see any increase or return on investment until at least 2015 (MAYBE)... The only way they can spin anything positive is by jacking up prices by double digit percentages AGAIN, and then claiming guest spending is up due to this program... Sadly, people fall for their lies and nonsense... Truth is, guests are not buying more.. They are PAYING more... Huge huge difference that some WDW fans fail to realize... (not you cer!!!)

I hope that answered your question... ;)

Yes, yes you did answer my question. :)

Oooh I did not realize the interactive queues have been squashed.

As far as being forced to micromanage my vacation, I have to admit, I am somewhat paralyzed by the new system. Ok, I am freaking out a little. So my husband and I are running the WDW races...all of them and I cannot for the life of me begin to make a choice today where I will be then or how I will feel after I get done on this day or that day. I won't be making rope drop for most of this trip, and I am having a terrible time just knowing that if I don't make a decision, I will be left with standby. And really, the attractions are not that great to warrant anything greater than a 30 to 40 min wait (which is a whole other part of the problem)

Next, I have not really considered the fact that they have scrapped their technological infrastructure and the cost there. Not good.

And finally, you bet guests are paying more...for less. :( And most (which is good for Disney, bad for the guests)- don't know it. They don't know how it was, or the benefits there were, or that the monorail used to stay open or that gratuity was included in the dining plan as well as an appetizer and that there were more parades and that building used to have stuff in it and there were late EMH at Animal Kingdom and pools were open all the time and there was the candy lady and there was a Segway tour in Epcot, Tapestry of Dreams parade in Epcot and Christmas decorations that are no longer in Epcot and the little remote boats that operated outside of Jungle Cruise and the Pirate and Princess Party and 4 for a Dollar and no more rope drop shows except for MK and on and on and on...

Some of these things I listed I have never seen, I have only heard about. When you start to list all the cutbacks and all the changes in offerings, it shouts volumes.

So sad, really. :(

mickclub1955
11-27-2013, 05:47 PM

I read this article as well and some of these new ideas I haven't even heard of. I did see the Iger interview where he was talking about the new tomorrowland at DL, but lots of these new ideas, I haven't even heard about. We all of these projects greenlighted? I know that many projects change over the years and many do not even come into being even after they are announced (ie: Mt. Fuji in Japan). I would just like to know where they got their info. Sounds like they have 90 days to fix this or the %$#@ is going to hit the fan.

DizneyFreak2002
11-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Oooh I did not realize the interactive queues have been squashed.

Yep... Pirates was to receive the interactive queue, as was Small World and Peter Pan... BTMR is the last older ride to get the interactive queue, for now... The money was allocated to MyTragic... Who knows? Maybe they will do them eventually, once they get everything on firmer ground... But right now, the money is needed for the cost over runs on NextGen...

As far as being forced to micromanage my vacation, I have to admit, I am somewhat paralyzed by the new system. Ok, I am freaking out a little. So my husband and I are running the WDW races...all of them and I cannot for the life of me begin to make a choice today where I will be then or how I will feel after I get done on this day or that day. I won't be making rope drop for most of this trip, and I am having a terrible time just knowing that if I don't make a decision, I will be left with standby. And really, the attractions are not that great to warrant anything greater than a 30 to 40 min wait (which is a whole other part of the problem)Did you read my news and observations and thoughts post from my recent trip? I mentioned how Pirates and HM had 40 minute wait times even though the lines were short enough to be walk on, or the most 10 minutes... There was no reason for the queue to be 40 minutes other than the fact FP has been added to these attractions... two attractions which do not need or should have FP... Just more deception by Disney to trick guests into thinking FP is a bargin... it's not...

This trip was my brother's first time there since 2000/2001... His opinion about FP+ sums it up: FP+ ruins your experience, doesn't matter if you can walk onto a ride with minimal wait, you miss out on other things by having to stick to a certain schedule in order to meet your FP+ times... I never thought about it that way, but he is right... People say without booking 60 days in advance, you have to go rush... Nope, booking and scheduling in advance, you have to rush... You have to go from one to the other, all the while making sure you don't miss the FP+ time or your ADR... Booking attractions and dining so far out ruins the WDW experience...

Next, I have not really considered the fact that they have scrapped their technological infrastructure and the cost there. Not good.This NextGen was meant to bring their infrastructure into the 21st century... Sadly, they screwed up... Now they will need infrastructure just to fix the infrastructure... Complete incompetence..

And finally, you bet guests are paying more...for less. :( And most (which is good for Disney, bad for the guests)- don't know it. They don't know how it was, or the benefits there were, or that the monorail used to stay open or that gratuity was included in the dining plan as well as an appetizer and that there were more parades and that building used to have stuff in it and there were late EMH at Animal Kingdom and pools were open all the time and there was the candy lady and there was a Segway tour in Epcot, Tapestry of Dreams parade in Epcot and Christmas decorations that are no longer in Epcot and the little remote boats that operated outside of Jungle Cruise and the Pirate and Princess Party and 4 for a Dollar and no more rope drop shows except for MK and on and on and on...You'll hear people say their first trip was in 2005 and then brag about how the parks haven't been better... Too bad they weren't there when the parks actually WERE better... And as far as paying more for less, it will only get worse... The parks will remain stale... Epcot and DHS continue to decay.... DAK is getting some help with Avatar, but we'll see what actually comes of it, especially the announced night time entertainment... The new Fantasyland area did nothing to help MK's capacity problem... And 7D won't be much help either... After January 5th, Jamming Jungle will be shut... Imagination is closing with no replacement (yet)... Things just get worse in WDW...

Tekneek
11-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Imagination is closing with no replacement (yet)...

Festival Center West!

DizneyFreak2002
11-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Festival Center West!

Another princess meet and greet LOL... That's all they know in TDO... and benches... and bathrooms... and DVC kiosks.....

Ian
11-27-2013, 09:11 PM
The really awful thing for WDW is this ... this could very well (with accountants running the show) lead to a long, sad, downward spiral for the resort.

They're going to cut funding for everything that's not NextGen. People already hate NextGen and WDW not being able to add more new attractions due to the ridiculousness that is NextGen will mean even fewer reasons to go. That'll mean more funding cuts ... and the circle will continue.

I'm telling you Iger should pull the plug on this mess NOW before it gets worse than it already is. And it will if nothing is done ...

DizneyFreak2002
11-27-2013, 09:44 PM
The really awful thing for WDW is this ... this could very well (with accountants running the show) lead to a long, sad, downward spiral for the resort.

They're going to cut funding for everything that's not NextGen. People already hate NextGen and WDW not being able to add more new attractions due to the ridiculousness that is NextGen will mean even fewer reasons to go. That'll mean more funding cuts ... and the circle will continue.

I'm telling you Iger should pull the plug on this mess NOW before it gets worse than it already is. And it will if nothing is done ...

Iger is doubling down on NextGen.. This is going to be is legacy with the domestic theme parks....

BTW, the article was mostly wrong... Some things they got right , otherwise, it spelled out doom where there wasn't any... for Disneyland anyway... WDW projects have been put on hold, but not cancelled... But for how long they are on hold for is the question... I suspect by the end of the 2nd quarter we'll know more...

Ian
11-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Iger is doubling down on NextGen.. This is going to be is legacy with the domestic theme parks.... So much like Eisner, he'd prefer to have a lousy legacy than a positive one, eh? :thedolls:

JerseyDad
11-29-2013, 09:18 AM
So much like Eisner, he'd prefer to have a lousy legacy than a positive one, eh? :thedolls:

....he's probably hanging his hat on the movie star doctrine of: "Bad publicity is better than no publicity at all".

....but in this case ...he's not the 'star' ...the parks are ...and when you "visit bad" ....and "bad" has cost you +$3000 dollars ...you don't visit again.

Ian
11-29-2013, 11:13 AM
...but in this case ...he's not the 'star' ...the parks are ...and when you "visit bad" ....and "bad" has cost you +$3000 dollars ...you don't visit again.Yep. You hit the nail on the head.

I feel like these guys never, ever got that. Even Eisner to a degree, especially later in life.

Disney's sells a premium experience at a premium price. When people pay a premium price for things, they notice if the product isn't premium and they tend to start to look elsewhere if they feel the value isn't there.

You can get away with it short-term (which is all anyone cares about anymore anyway), but long-term it always comes home to roost.

DizneyFreak2002
11-29-2013, 03:13 PM
....he's probably hanging his hat on the movie star doctrine of: "Bad publicity is better than no publicity at all".

....but in this case ...he's not the 'star' ...the parks are ...and when you "visit bad" ....and "bad" has cost you +$3000 dollars ...you don't visit again.

I cannot believe how many negative reports I am getting from family and friends regarding their latest trips.. And these are people who go every year, huge Disney fans... They all said the same thing... The bands were not the issue, the FP was... The lines were... These are Disney fans who have now taken WDW out of their family vacation plans... Bad news travels fast...

I feel like these guys never, ever got that. Even Eisner to a degree, especially later in life.

See, I think Eisner did get it... Then Frank Wells was killed... And all holy heck broke loose... Eisner lost it... The WDW we have today is all because of Eisner: the good and the bad... And yes, the poison management structure in place at TWDC is all because of Eisner... Iger has not changed the culture in TWDC one bit... And Iger has made, I feel, WDW worse...

Ian
11-29-2013, 05:11 PM
And Iger has made, I feel, WDW worse...If he has I think it's largely been through apathy and a failure to pay attention.

I think he checks the size of the bottom line contribution each quarter and if it's acceptable he just moves on to the next film or TV deal he's working on.

DizneyFreak2002
11-29-2013, 06:32 PM
If he has I think it's largely been through apathy and a failure to pay attention.

I think he checks the size of the bottom line contribution each quarter and if it's acceptable he just moves on to the next film or TV deal he's working on.

That right there is the biggest problem... Say what you want about Eisner and his over inflated ego.. At least he had some sort of imagination and creativity... Iger has nothing... Well, he does have the personality of a piece of toast... Iger has no imagination or creativity in him... It is all about numbers and bottom lines with him... All about Wall Street and appeasing the shareholders... Iger should just go back to being a weatherman... No one expects weathermen to be right, and if they are wrong, at least they didn't cost a company over $2 billion dollars...

JerseyDad
11-29-2013, 11:34 PM
That right there is the biggest problem... Say what you want about Eisner and his over inflated ego.. At least he had some sort of imagination and creativity... Iger has nothing... Well, he does have the personality of a piece of toast... Iger has no imagination or creativity in him... It is all about numbers and bottom lines with him... All about Wall Street and appeasing the shareholders... Iger should just go back to being a weatherman... No one expects weathermen to be right, and if they are wrong, at least they didn't cost a company over $2 billion dollars...

....that ...right there has been the downfall ...or near downfall of many a company. The loss / lack of imagination, new ways, ideas, thoughts, about the betterment of the product / store / location-destination. It does not only apply to WDW or the Disney company.

...a classic example of this is what happened at Home Depot back in 2000 when Robert Nardelli took the CEO position. He came from GE ...and had NO idea how to "do" retail ....and ...a place like Home Depot was not typical retail. There was / is an almost entrepreneurial and freewheeling atmosphere there ...similar to WDW (in a way ...with regards to creativity). That creative feeling is what made Home Depot different ..and successful. But Nardelli did things that ticked-off the rank & file worker (similar to how the WDW CM's are in a sour mood) ...and he stunted creativity, instead, focusing on the bottom line. Just as Nardelli, someone with manufacturing experience, had no place being the head of a retail giant ...perhaps someone like Iger has no place being at the helm of WDW ...where creativity, innovation, vision are the prime attributes that WDW to where ...it was.

....I know that I went slightly off-track with the comparison ...using a retail company as the example ...but the basic concept is the same.

Hammer
11-30-2013, 01:31 AM
....that ...right there has been the downfall ...or near downfall of many a company. The loss / lack of imagination, new ways, ideas, thoughts, about the betterment of the product / store / location-destination. It does not only apply to WDW or the Disney company.

...a classic example of this is what happened at Home Depot back in 2000 when Robert Nardelli took the CEO position. He came from GE ...and had NO idea how to "do" retail ....and ...a place like Home Depot was not typical retail. There was / is an almost entrepreneurial and freewheeling atmosphere there ...similar to WDW (in a way ...with regards to creativity). That creative feeling is what made Home Depot different ..and successful. But Nardelli did things that ticked-off the rank & file worker (similar to how the WDW CM's are in a sour mood) ...and he stunted creativity, instead, focusing on the bottom line. Just as Nardelli, someone with manufacturing experience, had no place being the head of a retail giant ...perhaps someone like Iger has no place being at the helm of WDW ...where creativity, innovation, vision are the prime attributes that WDW to where ...it was.

....I know that I went slightly off-track with the comparison ...using a retail company as the example ...but the basic concept is the same.

Great example of Home Depot! I think this is why Comcast has been able to reinvigorate NBCU, because they smartly put Steve Burke in charge.

mrte62
12-04-2013, 04:05 PM
If he has I think it's largely been through apathy and a failure to pay attention.

I am sure you have seen his comments in the press release for the last quarter's results. He is pleased with revenue increases in the parks due to higher ticket, hotel, food and everything else prices. He sees this continuing in the future. Nothing about investing in the parks themselves.

CaptSmee
12-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Nice concepts but I highly doubt they will utilize this information to make your trip more "magical"

CaptSmee
12-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Great example of Home Depot! I think this is why Comcast has been able to reinvigorate NBCU, because they smartly put Steve Burke in charge.

Not too get off topic...but I worked for Home Depot through those years, and I'm far from a Nardelli fan but he took us from being technologically in the dark ages to modernized. No more dos based programs. No more doing everything on paper. So while he had a different vision for the company it was still beneficial to the future....just like Iger has a different vision now

Snowman1
12-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Just returned from Walt Disney World and used the bands. We had no glitches with them whatsoever, but here are some thoughts. Their use wasn't really explained very well so we were into day three before we fully understood the extent of their use. Had real issues with the new fast pass set up. Only being able to use 3 per day was a hassle. If you changed your mind during the day you were out of luck without going through tremendous hassle.Also with people being able to get fast passes early it limited our ability to get them same day. I feel you should only be able to get a fast pass on the day you are using it, and keep the same concept as with the tickets; when you use the fast pass you have, then you may get another one, up to as many as you can do in one day.