PDA

View Full Version : PoP Century fans! Need your advice!

DisneyorBust
11-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Hey Pop fans! My family, all 18 y/o and older are booked in two rooms for the first week of March 2014. So, please share your opinions, tips, recommendations and advice!
6 adults total, we have stayed in the All Star Sports a few times as well as Mods and Deluxe rooms on property. Pop seems to be very
POP-ular here and we are looking forward to a great stay.

Pirate Granny
11-15-2013, 09:13 AM
We love Pop for its food court and own bus service. pools are so-so, average for the value resorts...

Go across the bridge and eat at the art of animation ...food court is excellent, and their theming in general is beautiful

FaithTrustPixieDust
11-15-2013, 10:08 AM
The tye dyed cheesecake is yummy!

Itchy
11-15-2013, 10:14 AM
We will be staying at POP again in 27 days.:thumbsup:

The resort is quite large. We have stayed in a 90's room once and was quite a long walk to the food court. It is still a great place to stay as we like to get in the 50's or 60's sections as they are closer to the food court and main hall.

The rooms are not much different is size than the other values but I think that the food court is larger.

I think that you should really enjoy your stay, either way you are at Disney so enjoy...:cloud9:

Hope this helps..:mickey:

PopPhan
11-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Check out Memory Lane! It starts on the 50's end of the resort and follows Hourglass Lake around to the 90's end. There are signs with a question on one side - about something in pop culture for that decade - and the answer is on the back. (If you start at the 90's end, you will see the answer first!! No cheating!! LOL)

I like to take a walk across the Generation Gap Bridge as well. This bridge will take you over to Art of Animation (It wasn't completed the last time I was there, so the AoA end of the bridge was blocked off.) The decades are inscribed on the light blocks along the way and each decade is in a popular font from that era.

Check out things like the Rubik's Cubes on the outer stairwells of the 80's buildings. Each one is a step in solving the cube. What is the significance of the phone number on the cell phones on the 90's building stairwells? Notice the names of the songs on the 8-track tapes on the 70's buildings. Count the bowling pins on the 50's buildings...Why only 9? LOL Check out the shadow boxes in the lobby of Classic Hall. How many of these things do YOU remember?

So much to see and do at the resort! I find something new on each visit.

#1donaldfan
11-15-2013, 10:52 AM
You're getting a lot of good tips......I will add that if anyone in your party is a runner, there is no better place on Disney property to run. The course around the Hour Glass Lake is incredible. It's a great value !!:thumbsup:

big blue and hairy
11-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Go across the bridge and eat at the art of animation ...food court is excellent, and their theming in general is beautiful

Funny, I think the opposite about the food courts. I like Pop's better, AOA's is overated IMO. It is worth walking through the resort, though, the theming is very cool.

If you liked All Stars you will love Pop, it's a better version to me.
:sulley:

DisneyorBust
11-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all of the tips! We are looking forward to staying at Pop, we have enjoyed all of our stays, value, mods and deluxe. I'd like the 50's section, I think. I'll need to review the Pop resort map and these tips! Please keep them coming. The Tye-Dyed cheese cake will interest the ladies in my family.
Hey #1donaldfan, thanks for the tip about running. As the runner in my family, I have been planning to pack for running in the "World". This may be the trip.

JerseyDad
11-15-2013, 09:14 PM
The tye dyed cheesecake is yummy!

.....well ...it used to be. We went to POP in August ...and it was "changed" for lack of a better term ....no ...wait, let me rephrase that ...there is a better term ...it's called ..ruined.

.....it used to be an actual slice of cheesecake ...and now it's one of those generic hockey puck sized caked / desserts like the chocolate cake or carrot cake ..in the black plastic bowl ...that's in all the parks ..etc.

.....I hate change ...I hate it more when it is for the worse.:mad:

....I actually could not bring myself to purchase it this past trip!!

Kerry823
11-16-2013, 11:28 AM
My husband and I just returned from POP a couple of weeks ago. We have stayed there several times and find it to be the best of the value resorts. One of the new things we encountered is the convenience of having an additional option of using the AOA transportation as well. We like to stay near the lake side at POP and a short walk over the bridge will get you back to POP if you choose to take the AOA bus. We did this many times if the AOA bus arrived befor the POP bus at the bus stop at the parks. Have a great trip! We are going back in March with our adult DD and her boyfriend. We have all decided to forego the moderate and stay at POP.

WiltonJohn
11-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Check out the shadow boxes in the lobby of Classic Hall. How many of these things do YOU remember?

Too many! :thumbsup:

best,

..................john

WiltonJohn
11-16-2013, 12:08 PM
.....well ...it used to be. We went to POP in August ...and it was "changed" for lack of a better term ....no ...wait, let me rephrase that ...there is a better term ...it's called ..ruined.

.....it used to be an actual slice of cheesecake ...and now it's one of those generic hockey puck sized caked / desserts like the chocolate cake or carrot cake ..in the black plastic bowl ...that's in all the parks ..etc.

.....I hate change ...I hate it more when it is for the worse.:mad:

....I actually could not bring myself to purchase it this past trip!!

We were just there also a little while ago... and found this unfortunate fact. VERY disapointing. LOVED the old one. Had the new one.... meh.

The litle "magic" and "quality" touches seem to be disappearing one by one.

best,

.....................john

Katzateer
11-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Love POP and AoA- fun to explore the resorts. I like the 50's section. I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

Dewdrop034
11-16-2013, 10:34 PM
We just got back from 4 days there and we just loved it. I was very hesitant before we arrived because we had a bad experience at the all stars, but from the time we checked in to the time we left we had nothing but positive experiences.
It took less than 5 minutes to check in and the clerks were fast and friendly. The room was clean and mousekeeping was attentive. The food was decent and average. Angus cheeseburgers and make your own salad. We had a pork shank dinner that was fall of the bone with home made mashed pototoes and gravy. The drinks at petal pool bar were very good.
If you don't mind a 3 minute walk ask to be put in the 80's section near the lake. It is very quiet and has a jogging path that wraps around it.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Have a great time on your trip.

mechanic
11-17-2013, 03:20 PM
We finally tried the cheesecake in april. It was a regular slice of cheesecake then and it was quite good.
Very sorry to hear that they've cheapened it.
My wife is a baker and has been doing some tie dye cakes on a trial basis since we got back. Both cheesecake and sponge cake.

Kenny1113
11-18-2013, 03:52 PM
We just returned from another stay at POP. This time we were in the 90s building 8. Although it was ok, I much prefer my usual 50s and 60s.

POP is my favorite of all the values.

Daisy'sMom
12-03-2013, 07:04 PM
The food court faire is terrible now! DH almost cried when he saw that the 'Mom's Night Out' dinners were gone. We hate what they have done.

princessgirls
12-05-2013, 10:50 AM
I have nothing but good things to say about the Pop Century.

Other than the pool just being OK, it's a great place to stay! I don't go for the pool...LOL!

Also, I do get breakfast items delivered from Garden Grocer, and don't ever deal with the food court in the morning. Makes for a happy stay!

The busing is the best perk of the place!
Julie:mickey:

JerseyDad
12-05-2013, 04:46 PM
The food court faire is terrible now! DH almost cried when he saw that the 'Mom's Night Out' dinners were gone. We hate what they have done.

....POP food court operations p!ssed me off royally when we were there in August/Sept!! Along with the removal of the Mom's Night Off offerings ...that food "station" was closed for our entire stay (10 days) ...because POP felt that it wasn't worth it to open when occupancy at the resort wasn't 100% (it was more like 80%) ...and they closed 1/3 of the dining room too. So we had less food offerings ...and less places to sit. They got a nasty letter from me......