PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Family Frenzy pre trip report

buzznwoodysmom
11-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Just realized we leave next week for WDW!!!

We have a group of 25 family members going with us. My mother- and father-in-law, 5 of their 7 kids and their families, 10 of their 16 grandchildren ranging in age from 20 years old to 8 months old, my mom, a nephew from my side of the family, and a sister of one of my sister in laws. Whew, what a group we have!

We are all staying at Port Orleans Riverside with free dining. It's not my favorite resort by any means, but hopefully this time I'll come to realize what so many people love about this resort. At least that's what I keep telling myself. My heart is at Wilderness Lodge, and I have to keep reminding myself (and my family) that we aren't staying there this time.

My family is taking off a day earlier than the rest to head down there, and we are spending a night in Tampa for the Cigar Festival. DH has a ticket to a VIP party that night, and we'll spend a few hours at the Cigar Fest before the quick drive to Disney the next day. Everyone should be arriving around noon that day. We have most of our TS meals booked together for the week. About half the group has the same FP+ selections, with a few with younger kids booked at different attractions. The idea is to do those things that are booked together, but split for the rest of the time.

Day 1: Arrive, settle in, maybe some pool time, church, and of course our traditional first night dinner at Ohana's! Hopefully we can find time for a spin on the monorail to take in some of the resort Christmas décor.

Day 2: Magic Kingdom. We have 3 FP+ selections on this day; Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, Big Thunder Mountain. We also have FP for Be Our Guest for lunch. Liberty Tree Tavern is scheduled for dinner.

Day 3: Epcot. We have FP+ for Soarin, Test Track, and Maelstrom. Some of us are booked at Rose and Crown for dinner, while the rest will dine at Marrakesh.

Day 4: Some of us are heading to Universal's Islands of Adventure today. We'll likely have lunch at 3 Broomsticks in Wizarding World of Harry Potter. We have nothing booked for dinner so we will either head to Riverside's food court, take a boat to DTD, or drive somewhere like Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom lodge for a QS meal. We have several first time visitors and I think they would enjoy these two resorts. Those who aren't going to Universal are either taking a day off to relax at the resort, or will head back to MK.

Day 5: Hollywood Studios. Today we have FP+ for Rock N Rollercoaster, Toy Story Mania, and Fantasmic. Now that I am hearing Fantasmic is a wasted FP, we may try to change it to Tower of Terror. We have lunch booked at Sci Fi. Can't wait to see the Osborne Lights again!

Day 6: No parks today. We have a late breakfast/brunch at Ohana's. The guys are headed to play golf. They have a noon tee time booked. Us ladies and the kiddos plan to visit some resorts to see the holiday décor, and perhaps some shopping at DTD. Or maybe some pool time and laundry. We have dinner at Cape May Café tonight. We plan to spend some time at the Boardwalk after dinner. I love strolling the Boardwalk and other Epcot area resorts around the holidays. So may great holiday displays to see.

Day 7: Animal Kingdom. We have FP+ at Everest, Safari, and Festival of Lion King. May change Lion King to something else. We have dinner booked at Boat Wright's at Riverside. We plan to all take a boat to DTD. The guys have their eyes on the cigar bar.

Day 8: Now it's time to say goodbye.... Sadly all good things must come to an end. After breakfast at French Quarter for beignets we will head out. We plan to stop in Seaside, Florida for lunch. We love their little food trucks. They have their Christmas parade at 4pm, followed by the lighting of the town. We may stay for all the festivities. It'll depend on how everyone feels. We looked into booking either a beach house or a room at a nearby resort, but the prices were ridiculous, and most had a 2-3 night minimum. We'll either drive all the way back home, or find a more affordable hotel near Seaside.

That's it. All plans are made, hopefully we don't have too much trouble with our Magic Bands and this FP+ nonsense. Now it's just waiting for the days to fly!

faline
11-11-2013, 02:02 PM
What a large group! Sounds like there will be loads of fun to go around for the entire family! You ought to be a lively group at your shared meal reservations!!

yjgirl32
11-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Sounds like fun. Have a great trip.

Ms. Mode
11-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Question: How did you get a FP for Be Our Guest for lunch? I didn't know you could do that. :confused:

buzznwoodysmom
11-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Question: How did you get a FP for Be Our Guest for lunch? I didn't know you could do that. :confused:

There is a thread about this, including the link, somewhere on intercot. I think in the dining forum.

buzznwoodysmom
11-11-2013, 08:38 PM
There is a thread about this, including the link, somewhere on intercot. I think in the dining forum.

It's on page two in dining. The title is something about "BOG lunch".

GoldenAurora
11-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Wow, what a big group! Sounds like you have a great trip planned! Enjoy your vacation and your family time!

Mickey'sGirl
11-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Sounds like fun Denise!! Safe travels to you and your whole group! :thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
11-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Have a great time. The MB work great. Was able to make changes while at WDW last week. Most of the pics were attached. The last few that were taken on Main St with the girls 'holding tinker bell" are missing. PP people are looking for the pics now. Those were the only ones I wanted to buy.