PDA

View Full Version : Hartford and surrounding areas

Beach Club Babe
11-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Does anybody know of any nice hotels in West Hartford CT or surrounding areas? It looks like we will be spending Christmas there, so I would like something more than an average hotel.

SBETigg
11-09-2013, 10:43 AM
The Simsbury Inn and the Simsbury 1820 House are lovely and would have a warm New England Christmas feel for the holidays, more than a chain hotel might provide, about 20 minutes from West Hartford. Avon Old Farms, also close to West Hartford, shares a similar quaint feel. All have restaurants suitable for a lovely Christmas dinner (though the restaurant at 1820 House is Metro Bis and I'm not sure they are open for Christmas). I think any one of these would be good choices. Avon Old Farms might be your best bet if you want to stay closer to the beaten path.

Beach Club Babe
11-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the info. I will look into those. My DD's fiance is from Simsbury, but his mother & new husband & family recently moved to West Hartford. That is the reason for the trip since Courtney & Jason don't have much time off for the holidays it will make it easier for visiting with all family.

SBETigg
11-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Most of the closest bigger chain hotels, your Marriotts and Sheratons and the like, are in Hartford, and it's more of a traffic situation and less of a relaxing holiday going back and forth from Hartford, I think. But if you wanted a bigger name hotel, those options are there in Hartford - Hartford, big city, which isn't quite the same as West Hartford, more trendy and chic outside the city.

Mr. Brass Bonanza
01-10-2014, 07:43 AM
I wish I had seen this earlier! What did you decide on?