PDA

View Full Version : Staying at PO French Quarter for the first time

zipadeedoodah
11-06-2013, 05:36 PM
So on our trip in February, I'm staying at the French Quarter for the first time. I have previously stayed at POR and enjoyed that. But I'm just curious what everyone's opinions are of this resort. Do you enjoy it more than Riverside?

sorcerer fan
11-06-2013, 06:18 PM
small, quiet, and everything at the resort is close, no matter where you are the food court, store and bus stop are close. bus stops first at POFQ going to parks and coming home

CanadianWDWFan
11-06-2013, 06:20 PM
We love it, it is our favourite moderate resort. We like the size and the fact it isn't far to anywhere from any room on property. Plus you can use the facilities at POR is just an added bonus. We had booked this December at POFQ but had to change to PORsince there weren't any rooms available for the free dining promotion. We are definitely going to make a trip over just to sample the beignets.

faline
11-06-2013, 06:57 PM
We were pleasant surprised by our stay at this resort. We greatly enjoyed it - enough so that we planned a second stay at the same resort. Unfortunately, our reservation for the second trip was flubbed so we ended up changing resorts!

We're torn between Coronado Springs and French Quarter as to which might be our favorite moderate!

BrowncatP
11-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Have stayed at both. I liked PO-R a little more than PO-F. I enjoyed having to walk along the river to get to the bus stop,and the food court at riverside.

big blue and hairy
11-06-2013, 07:41 PM
We have stayed at all the moderates and by far French Quarter is DW and my favorite. It was small without being cramped, and it is beautiful. We like the food court the best of the moderates also. They are the only one to take Tables in Wonderland.

:sulley:

Melanie
11-06-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm in the minority and don't care for FQ. I love Riverside though. Hope you have a great trip!

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-06-2013, 09:15 PM
We love POFQ (sorry Melanie!). Now, I'm not sure if we love it more than POR, since we've had two awesome vacations at POR.

But, with POFQ you get the best of both worlds. You have a small resort, easy to access everything, short walk to the main building and bus stop. AND, you have all of the good parts of POR - you can swim in the pool, take the boat to POR or DTD, use the expanded food court and shop in the larger gift shop. And then, you get to return to the quiet POFQ.

So, with POR and POFQ you get the best of both worlds!

Crow
11-07-2013, 02:48 AM
I also like FQ better. and its tied for my fav mod with CSR too

Ltmoko
11-07-2013, 08:28 AM
We like POR better. Has a sit down restaurant. Its a litte larger than POFQ so yo may have a walk but it's our fav mod.

#1donaldfan
11-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Riverside is much nicer in my opinion, but the food court at the FQ is always a must for us, even when staying as far away as AKL. There is just so much more of a relaxed feeling at Riverside versus the FQ. :cool:

WDWCrazyKaren
11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
POFQ is our absolute favorite mod. You won't be disappointed.The smaller size, shorter walks, great rooms and quietness of the resort just seals the deal for us. Riverside is lovely, and we have stayed there many times, but man, do we love the smaller size of FQ.

You'll have an awesome time!

kakn7294
11-07-2013, 03:32 PM
We love POFQ - it's our hands-down favorite moderate resort. It's smaller and quieter and I love the street-like feel. However, both are very nice resorts and we also enjoyed our stay at POR.

brownie
11-07-2013, 05:28 PM
I like the smaller size of French Quarter. There's only 1 pool, though you can use the pools over at Riverside. The dining options are better at Riverside.

MrPeetrie
11-07-2013, 10:32 PM
I love this resort, but to be truthful, I love all the moderates. We stayed here on our last trip. It was in the process of a makeover and it was looking beautiful.

It is the most accessible of the moderates due to its size. No matter where you are staying, you're not far from either the courtyard or the bus stop. No dining room here. You'll need to go to Boatwrights at POR if you want a sit-down meal.

Fresh beignets made on request. (Delicious! We always make a special trip here for some even if we're staying somewhere else.)

Smaller pool than POR or Coronado Springs. My DW rates this as her favorite moderate; mine is POR so it's just a matter of opinion. If you haven't stayed here, it's definitely worth a look. You won't be disappointed.

Lana
11-08-2013, 02:50 PM
I have not stayed at POR so I can't compare it to that but French Quarter is beautiful. As most have brought out, the size makes it convenient and intimate. It can be very romantic, especially in the evening. My husband and I went several years back with his family (not romantic) and we really enjoyed it. If you decide to stay there, definitely check out Scat Cats for awesome live entertainment. It's incredible and definitely what makes this one of our (many) favorite resorts!:mickey:

Middle of the Map
11-08-2013, 04:11 PM
FQ is my FAVORITE moderate resort. The bus service is fantastic, the resort is cozy, and I love the boat connection to DTD. Also a plus is the walking path to the sister resort, Riverside.

Building 4 is ideal because it's close to the bus stops and the food court.

Enjoy!

HoosierDisneyFan
11-10-2013, 02:45 PM
As you can see from my signature box below, POFQ is our favorite. Mainly due to the small size. We generally are in the parks all day and the short walk back to the room from the bus stop (or to the center building for drinks / snacks / gift shop) is great. We love the river boats to DTD. POFQ generally gets picked up first and dropped off first when using bus transportation. I would say if you plan on a lot of "resort time" then POR may be a better choice with TS restaurant / larger pool / larger hot tub / larger gift shop / marina but if you looking for a smaller resort then POFQ is the choice.

Zippy 1
11-10-2013, 11:33 PM
We loved POFQ. It is our favorite resort now. Love the size and how quiet it was. Could easily run over to POR if we wanted to. But most nights we relaxed in the bar at FQ. We will be staying there again:number1:

zipadeedoodah
11-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone! You are all making me so excited about staying here for the first time! ;) I am especially excited to hear that it's a romantic resort. Taking my boyfriend for the first time, and I want it to be extra special! 81 days til we leave! :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

GoldenDreams
11-17-2013, 06:04 PM
If you are looking for romantic, I think you'll be very happy with the look of the resort. There are pretty little fountains around the grounds and the iron work is really pretty too.

Gator
12-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Is it better than Riverside? Yes. For sure! That said, I'd stay at CBR or Coronado before I stay at FQ again. The size of the resort is small, but it only has one bus stop, which means a long walk if you get put in the outer buildings, plus a big gathering of people in one spot each morning.

The food is really good here, so you can't go wrong with that. The waterslide isn't nearly as cool as the one at the other Moderates, if you or your kids care about such things.

MouseHouser
12-05-2013, 01:16 PM
We really enjoyed the POFQ. The surroundings are picturesque and the food court is great. We love the dock, and boat ride into Downtown Disney.

And the POR pool, which is one of our favorites, is so close we treat it as belonging to our resort. Why not? They're sister properties.