PDA

View Full Version : Booking our Honeymoon @ Polynesian, have some questions!

EpcotFanatic
11-01-2013, 11:02 AM
We're going on our honeymoon next September for a week. What better excuse is there than our honeymoon to splurge and stay at our first deluxe resort, the Polynesian! :mickey:

We will be staying in a standard room. So I figure there is plenty of time to put in a request now and hope for the best.

We'd like a king size bed with a good standard view (garden or pool). Location isn't an issue, but a balcony would be nice. Any longhouses meet the criteria? We can always nix the balcony idea and settle for a 1st floor patio.

CanadianWDWFan
11-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Congratulations! We LOVED the Poly when we stayed there.

Not to put a damper on your upcoming stay, but they will be in the process of a DVC refurb at the Poly. There is an ongoing thread called "Poly Refurb" (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=201888) that discusses this.

We were planning on booking there in August 2014, but after reading this thread and talking to our Travel Agent, we decided against staying there. The Volcano pool slide is even going to be affected.

I think you should think about this major refurb since you will want your Honeymoon to be perfect.

Again :congrats:!!

SBETigg
11-01-2013, 11:43 AM
My sister is planning her Disney Honeymoon, and the Polynesian is her favorite resort but she changed to the Yacht Club due to Poly refurb issues. Her wedding is in July 2014. Also worth noting that it's very rare to be able to get a king bed at the Polynesian at this point. If your wedding is in 2014, it might be a good time to reconsider your resort choice. Though, sorry to say, I know it was a real bummer for her. Best wishes!

tikiman
11-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Yes, Getting a king bed with a balcony is possible and there are quite a few in Rarotonga, Fiji and Samoa. By next year they should have it in the system to be able to book the king bed and not just request it but as others have mentioned there will be a lot of construction going on. DVC will still be going on and it is possible the work to the pool deck area will still be happening. This will leave the whole area from the GCH to the beach inaccessible.

SBETigg
11-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Yes, Getting a king bed with a balcony is possible and there are quite a few in Rarotonga, Fiji and Samoa. By next year they should have it in the system to be able to book the king bed and not just request it but as others have mentioned there will be a lot of construction going on. DVC will still be going on and it is possible the work to the pool deck area will still be happening. This will leave the whole area from the GCH to the beach inaccessible.

Encouraging about the king beds, though. A bright spot!

EpcotFanatic
11-05-2013, 08:49 AM
I just read up about the Polynesian refurb. What a low blow. There's even rumors of them removing the waterfall in the GCH? What are the people in charge thinking!?

Last thing I want to do is shell out big money for a Deluxe only to be surrounded by construction workers and roped off areas.

Ugh, such a terrible feeling.

epceddie
11-05-2013, 01:41 PM
I think this new DVC construction is going to take away a lot of the uniqueness that makes the Poly so special. I know that I wouldn't be happy to pay all that money and have to deal with construction issues, but it doesn't seem to bother Disney. It will be business as usual even though a lot of people are going to have their vacations disrupted.
We were able to ride the monorial during our Oct. 15-23 trip and were amazed to see the difference between the GF and the new GF DVC Villas. The original GF is solid and you can tell they put a lot of money into the construction. The new GF Villas look like a doll house compared to the original. The new building just doesn't look as sturdy as the original. It looks like they cut some corners when it came to building materials. I'm sure it's very nice, but it's not even close to the original and I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen at the Poly. We just don't build things like we used to. Instead of being referred to as the Greatest Generation, we're going to end up being known as the Cut Corners Generation.

buzznwoodysmom
11-05-2013, 06:05 PM
If it were my honeymoon the Polynesian would be out of the question. You just can't reproduce your honeymoon. I would hate to see you have a bad experience because of the ongoing construction.

I would look into Grand Floridian or perhaps one of the Epcot resorts. Yacht Club is very nice and has an adult vibe.

Wilderness Lodge is also a very nice place, close to MK, and at such a better price than the poly that you could splurge on some nice meals, a couples massage, or something else special.