PDA

View Full Version : Glass Bottom Boat at Castaway Cay

the other micki
10-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Hey y'all!

My sons and I will be cruising on the Dream in April, and I've been looking at the various shore excursions, especially at Castaway Cay. We definitely hope to parasail, but I would like some opinions on the glass-bottom boat tour. We are not "snorkel people" as being that close to fish (except fried and on our plates) creeps us out.

Thanks,
Micki

NJGIRL
10-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Hey y'all!

My sons and I will be cruising on the Dream in April, and I've been looking at the various shore excursions, especially at Castaway Cay. We definitely hope to parasail, but I would like some opinions on the glass-bottom boat tour. We are not "snorkel people" as being that close to fish (except fried and on our plates) creeps us out.

Thanks,
Micki

I have never done the glass bottom boat there, but wanted to suggest to you to have a back up plan for the parasailing. Even if there is only a little breeze, it will be canceled.

We did a bike ride the very first time we went to Castaway Cay and it was so pleasant we have done one each time since.

Ed
11-03-2013, 08:54 AM
We did the glass bottom tour once; on a scale of one to ten, I'd give it a five.

There is not much coral around CC, and there are limited varieties of fish. The crew brings fish around the boat by tossing handsful of oatmeal (uncooked, thankfully) into the water to attract them.

The boat we were on had one glass panel about 4' x 8' +/- that needed a good cleaning.

For us, at least, it's a case of "been there, done that, not going back".

Your mileage may vary.....

the other micki
11-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks so much for the input!

One more question...Do you need to reserve activities like the bikes or aqua trikes ahead of time? Or can you just rent them once you get onto the island?

NJGIRL
11-03-2013, 07:23 PM
The aquatrik can't be booked ahead of time. It has to be done while on the island. It is $15 for 30 mins. My kids had planned to do it and never got around to it.

We always reserve the tubes and bikes in advance, but to tell you the truth, I really don't think you need to. They always have plenty.